2.1 Root for dummies.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big D, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D New Member

I'll start by saying that I'm not the most fluent computer programmer in the world. My only real reason to root is because I want to be able to use my Droid as a wifi hotspot - a possibility only for the rooted.

So is there some kind, patient soul out there who can point me to a place that walks me through the process, step by step, in a way that a 2nd grader could follow? Or post that process here?

Again, I don't need to be able to reposition NASA satellites with the thing. I just want to use the phone as a wifi hotspot.

I understand that going back to 2.01 is necessary and that's fine. I really haven't seen much on 2.1 that changes anything for me personally. I couldn't care less about appearance stuff like animation and galleries. I use this as a tool.

Thanks much and I hope this thread isn't too redundant. If it is, I hope a moderator can just redirect this to the redundancy and shut this down.

Thanks all.
  2. ChaOConnor

ChaOConnor New Member

I second this. My only desire is to get my droid to act as a wifi hotspot now that I have an iPad. If I could do this, my entire gadget nirvana would be complete. Thank you in advance to anyone who is patient enough to help out!
  3. kellex

kellex Premium Member Premium Member

4. Big D

Big D New Member

Here's my problem.

Anytime I get links to this stuff, they start out with big red letters saying how "if you don't know what you are doing, turn back immediately!"

I would be fooling myself if I were to classify myself as someone who knows what he's doing. The one thing I do know is that I can't afford to brick my phone.

I don't think this rooting is for me, I'm afraid.
  5. madsquabbles

madsquabbles New Member

if you're really afraid then i'd suggest you find someone who can do it for you. it's really not that hard if you follow all the instructions. if you can follow instructions then you're set. just double check everything to make sure you have no typos.
  6. Flyerman

Flyerman New Member

Do u lose all of your downloaded apps when u return back to 2.01? Thank u
  7. fUry327

fUry327 New Member

8. Flyerman

Flyerman New Member

9. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

10. Flyerman

Flyerman New Member

Pdanet work for the iPad?
  11. kennyg23

kennyg23 New Member

No it doesn't. It allows either bluetooth tether or USB tether. I have a full version of it that I was using before i got wifi tether.

Anyways, see if you can install droidmod updater onto 2.1. If so it will automatically root and install tons of new features including wifi tethering.
  12. gavron

gavron New Member

No, it won't. Nothing will root 2.1 today. Please see note on DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does. that very clearly states:
    Ehud
  13. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

14. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

2.1 guide for dummies: how to get wifi-tether (not worried about anything else)

link 3 in my signature. Do that and you are at 2.01
    link 1 in my signature. Do the first few steps and you are rooted.

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code install the tether app of your choice.

You can now use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

However, you also are on rooted 2.01. You will want to choose a rom to bring you back all the 2.1 goodies you left behind to root. The hard part about such a guide is you get to choose which rom to try. Any of the ones with dev links on this board will work for you. Everyone has their preferences. Just like we don't all drive the same car. It doesn't mean my car is better than yours (it is[​IMG]) it just means there are lots of options out there. Unlike a car you can switch "models" easily here.
  15. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

I used this site:

How to Root Your Motorola Droid Running 2.1

I followed the instructions to the T, and had no problem.....with the downgrade and rooting part. Now when it comes to installing roms and all that other stuff, the learning curve gets steeper. I spent hours one night trying to install Ultimate Droid 9.8, messing up many times, and having to re-downgrade to 2.0.1 to start over. I had to do that because I didn't know about the apps that are needed to make everything work smoothly, as well as to make it easier on me in the long run.

I have been contemplating on creating an all-inclusive guide on downgrading (only while it's still necessary), rooting and installing ROM's, that would include pictures and laymens terms for the average user, like yourself and I. My only problem is that i'm lazy.
  16. Big D

Big D New Member

OK.

I got the Droid back to 2.01 without issue.

I have downloaded and renamed all of the zip files EXACTLY as stated.

When I go to combine the files in "command Prompt" I get a message that says " the system cannot find the file specified." I'm on Vista.

Any ideas?
  17. Big D

Big D New Member

OK. So I was able to see my Desktop directory and saw that the remaing I'd done created .zip.zip files. I deleted the extra zip and eveything worked fine. Now I have 3 questions.

1. Barnacle still doesn't connect.

2 How do you get the OTA 2.1 update reminders to stop?

3 How can you tell if you are rooted?

As always, thanks so much to the geniuses that hang out here.
  18. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

1. Barnacle still doesn't connect.

Don't know what that is.

2 How do you get the OTA 2.1 update reminders to stop?

I believe they won't unless you install a ROM that is coded to make them stop. I could be wrong though, there may be seperate stuff for that, But I don't see a reason not to go ahead and install a ROM, you are rooted.

3 How can you tell if you are rooted?

I forgot what the About Phone section says after root, but if you open your App drawer you should see see new programs that weren't there before....Superuser Permissions and Wireless Tether for root users, just to name two off the top of my head.

As always, thanks so much to the geniuses that hang out here.
Search tags for this page

rooting for idiots