2.1 ROM - Verizon in Notification Bar

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by kevdog, Mar 13, 2010.

1. kevdog

kevdog New Member

I recently switched to a 2.1 ROM from 2.0.1 (or rather started screwing with the system files within 2.1)

I've noticed a difference within the eri.xml file (located within framework-res.apk/res/xml/eri.xml).

Using HxD as my Hex Editor I've noticed the following:

Within 2.0.1 -- One had the opportunity of changing up to 16 characters to make a personal message. Here is the relevant portion of the file:

36 00 34 00 00 00 10 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 69 00 7A 00 6F 00 6E 00 20 00 57 00 69 00 72 00 65 00 6C 00 65 00 73 00 73 00 00 00 02 00 36 00 35 6.4.....V.e.r.i.z.o.n. .W.i.r.e.l.e.s.s.....6.5

Within the file you had the possibility of changing the individual letters of (Verizon Wireless and the space in between the blank space in between the two words to anything you wanted -- the periods in between the letters and those preceeding and following the letters had to remain unaltered.)

Within 2.1 (Koush version) I'm getting this:
    36 00 34 00 00 00 07 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 69 00 7A 00 6F 00 6E 00 00 00 02 00 36 00 35 6.4.....V.e.r.i.z.o.n.....6.5

Here it would seem you only have 7 characters you could alter.

Its interesting comparing the eri.xml files between the two. In 2.0.1 entry 64 starts at offset=28C and in 2.1 entry 64 starts at offset 26C. The remainder of the files are similar but do vary slightly with number of entries and sum of the individual entry numbers are different or located in different numbers.

Does anyone know in the AOSP source code where this file is created? If it would be possible to look at the source, I bet it would be possible to make entry 64 as long as you want. Rethinking the results from above -- 16 characters would equal 16 bytes, and 7 characters probably represents 8 bytes (I guessing that possibly a period could be changed).

Any help from any of the people that mess with the source code would be great!!!
  2. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

3. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

let me know what you want it to say and I can just encode one real quick
  4. kevdog

kevdog New Member

xeudoxus

Wonderful to hear from you. My question relates I guess is the number of characters restricted or I am free to add as many characters as I want. I remember manually editing this with 2.0.1 and couldn't exceed more than 16 characters. Is this not a limitation anymore.
  5. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

here is one I compiled with 22 characters. I never knew there was a limitation.

It takes 2 secs to compile one of these xml's so if you want it to say something let me know.

Later ill release my beta tool to do this yourself. (Or if you have donated to me let me know an ill send to you) It is a .9.png and xml compiler

-Matt

Attached Files:

• eri.zip
      File size:
      997 bytes
      Views:
  6. kevdog

kevdog New Member

This worked wonderfully -- I wish I know how you did that!!

PM you're donate link since this forum is sometimes picky about things like this.
  7. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

Matt you kick so much ass. thanks for that eri.xml file

-=Jason=-
  8. christophr03

christophr03 New Member

Just used skaggz program. Worked perfectly. Thanks guys.
  9. stlcity

stlcity New Member

Guys do u know where the "no service" or "searching for service" messages are coded on that eri file. I pulled it out and opened it in Hex editor. Could not find the codes for both.

on other note found "extended network" and "roam". Anyone try to change those yet? Or am I on a track to brick my phone? :)
  10. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Im not sure if I would screw with anything else in the eri.xml file unless you know how to push back the unaltered framework-res.apk after the phone crashes. Hacks are cool, but remember the people who right up the hacks have probably studied the source code in detail.
  11. stlcity

stlcity New Member

Thanks kevdog..that was the reason I did not try to screw around with any of those. As I am reading more there is a tendency to get reckless..should keep it in check:)
  12. wolfspirit68

wolfspirit68 New Member

I just updated to the lastest Smoked Glass rom had the banner changed at one point and had to re-installo the rom due to some missing apps. Now I cannot get the banner to change again. It wil generate the thm file, apply it and reboot back with the VZW banner. Any ideas?

Just figured it out. Had to revert to stock font apply the banner change and then change the font again. =)