2.1 OTA delayed again

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanbk

Reaction score
So, to all of the people complaining about the delay, I ask you this:

Would you rather they go ahead, push the update out, have the infrastructure crap out in the middle; and ultimately end up with thousands of bricked devices?

I'm sure the OTA downloads the ENTIRE update before installing. So if the infrastructure "craps out in the middle" of the download, the device update does not start.

Purgatory

Reaction score

Would you rather they go ahead, push the update out, have the infrastructure crap out in the middle; and ultimately end up with thousands of bricked devices?

I'm sure the OTA downloads the ENTIRE update before installing. So if the infrastructure "craps out in the middle" of the download, the device update does not start.

yes, it does exactly what you said alanbk. That is essentially what Verizon said would happen if you had a problem with your update on their webpage.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, even assuming that IS the case; it wouldn't be a good thing for them to waste the bandwidth to push out a crapload of updates that will ultimately never finish downloading. If they don't think their infrastructure will handle it, there must be a good reason. Surprising as it might sound, an OTA software push is a costly thing to do; so it's MUCH better if they only need to do it once.

iPirate

Reaction score
This isn't 1995, put the update on bittorrent. People shouldn't ***** about motorola, it is on verizons hands and probably has been for a while

nikkix

Reaction score
NO ONE is putting down "non rooters". no one. several people offered alternatives to those who arent running 2.1 and might be disappointed by this news. all this hostility towards them is really immature. going out of your way to say " im not rooting and never will " is a little hypocritical if youre going to get mad to someone whos suggesting it.
and this isnt a thread strictly for those who have stock phones, as someone implied. this is general discussion. theres no need for all of these negative attitudes. thats just my opinion.

anyway i agree with whoever said they should host the update somewhere for people to download. they need to get their act together already.

butch350

Reaction score
I can't wait for the new batch of "When is 2.1 coming?" rants. Lots of Type A personalities on this board.

As a side note; I'm disappointed to, but I'm not going to rant.

I kinda think you make your own point. Your must be a type a too.

Chilazr

Reaction score
Isn't 2.1 a free update that no customer has to pay for and that is being sent to our phones automatically? If that's the case maybe people shouldn't be taking the delay so hard. Yeah, it's not a great business strategy to promise a timed release and then fail to deliver on it, but then again, who's to say that anyone who's complained was going to be one of the 1,000 at 12 EST or 9,000 tonight anyway? I think everyone has a better argument if they're still not updated on Saturday.

souljerr

Reaction score
In the back of my mind I knew it would be delayed. This is worse than a joke considering they were the ones who let everyone know it was coming this time. Oh well...

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
This is the paragraph from android and me that deals with todays delay

From our anonymous tipster: “Not sure if you’ve heard, but the real reason for the latest delay on the Android 2.1 update for Droid phones is due to Motorola’s distribution vendor ( Bitfone- now owned by HP). They are having capacity problems with a) the Bitfone application that distributes the updates and b) capacity issues with the current network infrastructure that hosts this application. I spoke to one of the engineers personally and they mentioned that Motorola reps have been“bugging them all day” because of the 3/18 commitment date.”

So glad I'm not sitting around waiting for this

huskur

Reaction score
Isn't 2.1 a free update that no customer has to pay for and that is being sent to our phones automatically? If that's the case maybe people shouldn't be taking the delay so hard. Yeah, it's not a great business strategy to promise a timed release and then fail to deliver on it, but then again, who's to say that anyone who's complained was going to be one of the 1,000 at 12 EST or 9,000 tonight anyway? I think everyone has a better argument if they're still not updated on Saturday.

It's not really free. It's a upgrade to your device that you have already purchased and paid for. It should have been on it from the beginning. Anyway, i look at it like this------------I pay for it every month

KevinJ

Reaction score
NO ONE is putting down "non rooters". no one. several people offered alternatives to those who arent running 2.1 and might be disappointed by this news. all this hostility towards them is really immature. going out of your way to say " im not rooting and never will " is a little hypocritical if youre going to get mad to someone whos suggesting it.
Suggesting is one thing. But when it's a constant berating call of "if you would just root..." then it gets annoying. Think of a gang of Religious Fanatics knocking on your front door 24/7 telling you your live will be better if you accept their message.

Yeah, we all get it. "Rooters" love their phones and what they've done with them. I want to be put on the "Do Not Root" list (like "do not call").

Rollingbones

Reaction score
Without 2.1, how am I ever going to get my new Droid Phone to work properly:

product_thumb1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.