2.1 on the DROID - an early view

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score

khelek

Reaction score
Here's a crazy theory...how about 2.1 isn't being delayed, it's being released right on schedule.

GASP!

Outside of a goof up, we've not had any indication of when this update, or even *if* it is supposed to be released. And yet, pretty much from day the Droid was released, being the first phone with 2.0 on it, we've had speculation of when 2.1 was coming.

The problem with 2.1 is that we, the users, have hyped it up so much that at some point, it became official that we were getting 2.1 in January. That didn't happen, so then it was February. Before long, we're believing we aren't getting it because Apple is going for Google's jugular and has killed the whole thing.

Ask how many HTC Hero users who have gotten their official 2.0 upgrade. They're still running 1.5, IIRC correctly.

Can we assume that 2.1 is being released exactlywhen Moto/Verizon/The Flying Spaghetti Monster has deemed it will be released as opposed to conspiracies regarding the destruction of it?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
and it's misinformation 1linukfreak.....

Please stay on topic and refrain from spreading bad information that will only lead to people getting upset.

Thanks.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
This is just nuts.

I for one believe the update will be pushed, but, Moto/VZW will announce it when it happens. I will know the release is official when I see the "update" prompt on my phone, until then, I will keep enjoying my 2.0.1...

I love the way some people read into things the things they want to see or hear. It really gives credence to the old adage: "If you look hard enough for something, you will find it whether it's really there, or not."

All Apple is trying to do is corner the market on the smart-phone, and keep it's advantages. It hasn't really had serious competition until the Droid, and it's got Steve Jobs concerned for his market share, and that concern is making him want to try to stop the competition. I know nothing of patent law, so I won't even comment on the Apple vs HTC lawsuit, but, it would seem to me, anyway, that all the lawsuit is, is an attempt to handicap the competition and slow them down.

S

Wraith

Reaction score
Releasing an update (2.1) would only be in their best interest...as it shows they are actually developing a new product and differentiating it. It may be doing what the customer wants which in some cases may be similar to the competition, but it is obviously not the same hardware.

I guess this means Apple will be filing a lawsuit against RIM as well...as the blackberry has similar apps.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
There is nothing in the linked article that intimates that the 2.1 update will be shelved... there is this one oblique reference in the article:
".....some Google executives say they worry that the lawsuit could hold back Android, which is also being built into tablets that could rival the iPad".

That line really doesn't say anything about anything, all it is doing is conveying a private worry among some Google executives, which, could hardly be construed as evidence that 2.1 is being shelved. Some people just need to stop looking for reasons to be negative. Seriously, is being negative that much fun?

Speculation is what it is, but if you are going to speculate on the status of 2.1, try to find something more concrete than a nebulous passage like the one above.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hello Tim we have already established it's misinformation there's no need to continue that conversation. It just leads to people gettting upset and attacking one another

Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.