2.1 on the DROID - an early view

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlaalu

Reaction score
I think I disagree here. I doubt they care about the few thousand people, if that many, that mess with rooting. If anything I bet they get a lot of ideas from some of the tweaks people come up with.

hlaalu

Reaction score
So I know nobody can give me a for definite answer to this, but, we heard that 2.1 would be out for the droids in Q1 which, is quickly coming to an end. Do we still think theres any merit to that?

Q1 ended dec 31

Isaiah

Reaction score
So I know nobody can give me a for definite answer to this, but, we heard that 2.1 would be out for the droids in Q1 which, is quickly coming to an end. Do we still think theres any merit to that?

Q1 ended dec 31
Yeah... no it doesn't. The fiscal first quarter ends dec 31
the standard Q1 ends march 31.

reefsrt4

Reaction score

Q1 ended dec 31

Fiscal quarters are used for financials and budgets, not product updates.

False. It all depends on the company. We manufacture and sell medical devices, as well as update and service the same. We work by the fiscal calendar. So, even when we discuss product status and updates with customers, we speak in terms of that same fiscal calendar. However, one of our customers operates via the standard calendar quarters....so when we communicate we are cognizant that we are always one quarter off from one another, in relative terms.

Bottom line is fiscal calendar is not "only" used for financial and budgetary means or purposes. :)

hlaalu

Reaction score
Sorry, when I hear Q1 I think of all my business classes, but I'll keep in mind how ya'll use it on here :)

ethaxton

Reaction score
Q1 ended dec 31

Fiscal quarters are used for financials and budgets, not product updates.

False. It all depends on the company. We manufacture and sell medical devices, as well as update and service the same. We work by the fiscal calendar. So, even when we discuss product status and updates with customers, we speak in terms of that same fiscal calendar. However, one of our customers operates via the standard calendar quarters....so when we communicate we are cognizant that we are always one quarter off from one another, in relative terms.

Bottom line is fiscal calendar is not "only" used for financial and budgetary means or purposes. :)
Right, but that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. You are a specialized field and an exception to the general rule of fiscal business. Fiscal policy was created for budget purposes, how you decide to use it is up to you. Also, if they are using fiscal quarters they will identify it as "fiscal Q1" rather than Q1. My point is that if you hear "Q1" as a release date for something you should think in Caldendar terms and not fiscal terms.

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
I haven't rooted, and don't plan to root.. However, if they seal up the ability to root for users, what is the benefit to them, and the user? Android, and Linux both have followings because they are "open source" and those who desire to, can set it up any way they like....Now if they seal up root, either because Moto/VZW think it may save them money/headaches in some way, or because Google has told them too (I am not spreading rumors, just speculating) either way, don't they then undo the "spirit" of Androuid/Linux, and then make it another closed OS, ala the iPhone, OS, or **gasp** Windows Mobile?.

I am just wondering how a "simple" update to an OS has become what appears to be a larger problem.

At this point, even though it has been said that 2.1 is going to come to Motorola phones, I wonder if we are going to get the update at all....

First of all I can say with 100% certainty that we will be getting 2.1.

Secondly you raise a very interesting question.

Why would they want to seal up root access?

I think the answer lies in the question of how does it benefit Manufactures and Operators? It doesn't. It actually harms them. How?

I believe it takes money out of their pocket by allowing users to stay on the bleeding edge without continuously upgrading their hardware.

You can continuously upgrade the OS to the latest and port ROMS from other devices. There is no incentive for users that root to upgrade. People go into debt to have the latest and greatest in tech. With root access you are extending the life of the device by a much longer time.

I'm just playing devils advocate here. Root=good for the end user, bad for the Operators and Manufacturers.

Thats why I believe they want to lock it down. Also Open Source does not have anything to do with rooting.

Android can remain open source just without the ability of the developer community to gain root access.

Thats neither here nor there though as long as there are these great developers they will always be able to find an exploit. < maybe I'm wrong?

I don't know but it seems like the bigger Android grows the more control they will try to have over it.

I could be way off base here and totally wrong but I just wanted to put it out there. Food for thought if you will.
I only disagree about who rooting benefits believe that it benefits both party's seeing how many people mess up their devices and Beverly to pay fir a new one because they voided their warranty wonder what those numbers look like.

rkeller62

Reaction score
Only reason I can think of to prevent rooting is to keep people upgrading. Not for the phone sale revenue, but rather the 12 or 24 month commitment. If you are contractually obligated they can use that revenue stream in their projections reliably. If you are month to month they can't. Not to mention the fact that any company like this was it as hard as possible for you to leave.

seldon

Reaction score

Q1 ended dec 31
Yeah... no it doesn't. The fiscal first quarter ends dec 31
the standard Q1 ends march 31.

No.

Motorola, Google, and Verizon all use a fiscal year the corresponds to the calendar year. Their first quarters (Q1) end 3/31/2010.

Slipstream

Reaction score
No.

Motorola, Google, and Verizon all use a fiscal year the corresponds to the calendar year. Their first quarters (Q1) end 3/31/2010.

Correct. There really is no "official" fiscal quarter for private business. I have clients who use Nov - Feb for their Q1... entirely up to the company.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Any news yet as to when 2.1 OTA is going to be released ? :icon_ banana:
When yo tell someone "soon" , is code for , "your not going to get it so shut up already ."

Status
Not open for further replies.