2.1 on the DROID - an early view

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Any updates you can share CK? anything at all?
no sir, no new updates on 2.1 since it failed last months testing.

CK, after something like this fails testing, do you have any idea what happens next? (I mean in a general sense, not VZW specific) Does the code go back for rewrite to iron out the identified bugs, and then get resubmitted? And, in general, how long does the testing take? (That is, if you have any idea)

I have a feeling that my prediction of a late spring, early summer release of 2.1 could be possible.....

lax01

Reaction score

CK, after something like this fails testing, do you have any idea what happens next? (I mean in a general sense, not VZW specific) Does the code go back for rewrite to iron out the identified bugs, and then get resubmitted? And, in general, how long does the testing take? (That is, if you have any idea)

I have a feeling that my prediction of a late spring, early summer release of 2.1 could be possible.....

I can tell you that the first thing that happens is someone gets yelled at ;)

wegriffith3

Reaction score
Being new to all of this, I'm a bit confused. If a program is already functioning on a similar device, how is it that it could "fail" testing at this point?

DavePDX

Reaction score
Being new to all of this, I'm a bit confused. If a program is already functioning on a similar device, how is it that it could "fail" testing at this point?

I think the phrase "similar device" is the key. I'm not certain which similar device you are referring to. If there is a different CPU, an additional GPU and any other hardware variations then they aren't really similar - they are different. There can be software optimizations for these specific hardware components that provide better speed, less battery usage, etc. that the "stock" Android software doesn't provide.

Throw in the addition of new features that aren't provided for by the stock Android 2.1 release and you throw more variables into the equation that can potentially cause problems (bugs). In software development you can sometimes fix one problem here and you end up causing another problem or finding a "hidden" problem that you didn't know about over there. The hidden problem only materializes when you add the code optimization or added feature. I'd rather that the software developers do their job as best they can and make sure every show stopper bug is found and fixed before I get it on my Droid.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

This said device will not be supported by VZW. Google will be handling that.

So read between the lines : )

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

That's anyones guess Tim. The two people I know don't know why it failed. The info on the RC is very controlled. Since the Moto debacle and then the failed testing info has come to a halt.

There is some speculation that it is a security issue but I tend to steer clear of things like that. By security issue I mean that they are trying to seal up 2.1 so no one can gain root access or atleast make it VERY hard.

TimChgo9

Reaction score

That's anyones guess Tim. The two people I know don't know why it failed. The info on the RC is very controlled. Since the Moto debacle and then the failed testing info has come to a halt.

There is some speculation that it is a security issue but I tend to steer clear of things like that. By security issue I mean that they are trying to seal up 2.1 so no one can gain root access or atleast make it VERY hard.

I haven't rooted, and don't plan to root.. However, if they seal up the ability to root for users, what is the benefit to them, and the user? Android, and Linux both have followings because they are "open source" and those who desire to, can set it up any way they like....Now if they seal up root, either because Moto/VZW think it may save them money/headaches in some way, or because Google has told them too (I am not spreading rumors, just speculating) either way, don't they then undo the "spirit" of Android/Linux, and then make it another closed OS, ala the iPhone, OS, or **gasp** Windows Mobile?.

I am just wondering how a "simple" update to an OS has become what appears to be a larger problem.

At this point, even though it has been said that 2.1 is going to come to Motorola phones, I wonder if we are going to get the update at all....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I haven't rooted, and don't plan to root.. However, if they seal up the ability to root for users, what is the benefit to them, and the user? Android, and Linux both have followings because they are "open source" and those who desire to, can set it up any way they like....Now if they seal up root, either because Moto/VZW think it may save them money/headaches in some way, or because Google has told them too (I am not spreading rumors, just speculating) either way, don't they then undo the "spirit" of Android/Linux, and then make it another closed OS, ala the iPhone, OS, or **gasp** Windows Mobile?.

I am just wondering how a "simple" update to an OS has become what appears to be a larger problem.

At this point, even though it has been said that 2.1 is going to come to Motorola phones, I wonder if we are going to get the update at all....

First of all I can say with 100% certainty that we will be getting 2.1.

Secondly you raise a very interesting question.

Why would they want to seal up root access?

I think the answer lies in the question of how does it benefit Manufactures and Operators? It doesn't. It actually harms them. How?

I believe it takes money out of their pocket by allowing users to stay on the bleeding edge without continuously upgrading their hardware.

You can continuously upgrade the OS to the latest and port ROMS from other devices. There is no incentive for users that root to upgrade. People go into debt to have the latest and greatest in tech. With root access you are extending the life of the device by a much longer time.

I'm just playing devils advocate here. Root=good for the end user, bad for the Operators and Manufacturers.

Thats why I believe they want to lock it down. Also Open Source does not have anything to do with rooting.

Android can remain open source just without the ability of the developer community to gain root access.

Thats neither here nor there though as long as there are these great developers they will always be able to find an exploit. < maybe I'm wrong?

I don't know but it seems like the bigger Android grows the more control they will try to have over it.

I could be way off base here and totally wrong but I just wanted to put it out there. Food for thought if you will.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track CK. Rooting prolongs devices life cycles because of applying ROMs and what not. It takes away from the corporations already over flowing pockets.

It's about money (closing root exploit). They want you to HAVE to buy a new device to gain features or speed... it grows their bottom line.

It's not in this case, or any business, about consumers, it's about profit. IMO. :)

TimChgo9

Reaction score

First of all I can say with 100% certainty that we will be getting 2.1.

Secondly you raise a very interesting question.

Why would they want to seal up root access?

I think the answer lies in the question of how does it benefit Manufactures and Operators? It doesn't. It actually harms them. How?

I believe it takes money out of their pocket by allowing users to stay on the bleeding edge without continuously upgrading their hardware.

You can continuously upgrade the OS to the latest and port ROMS from other devices. There is no incentive for users that root to upgrade. People go into debt to have the latest and greatest in tech. With root access you are extending the life of the device by a much longer time.

I'm just playing devils advocate here. Root=good for the end user, bad for the Operators and Manufacturers.

Thats why I believe they want to lock it down. Also Open Source does not have anything to do with rooting.

Android can remain open source just without the ability of the developer community to gain root access.

Thats neither here nor there though as long as there are these great developers they will always be able to find an exploit. < maybe I'm wrong?

I don't know but it seems like the bigger Android grows the more control they will try to have over it.

I could be way off base here and totally wrong but I just wanted to put it out there. Food for thought if you will.

I don't think you are off base... in fact, what you say makes sense. However, would it not get to the point, that even with rooting the Droid, that the OS would develop past the point where the Droid's hardware would be able to utilize it effectively? I would imagine that Android would develop like Mac OS, or Windows, where each progressive version required more advanced hardware to operate. You can't run Windows 3.11 on a Quad Core Athlon system any more than you could run Windows 7 on a 486DX/33. So, wouldn't it stand to reason that the next version, or the one after that, say 3.0 or 4.0 may not work on the Droid, because it may require more advanced hardware? Again, more food for thought.

Isaiah

Reaction score
So I know nobody can give me a for definite answer to this, but, we heard that 2.1 would be out for the droids in Q1 which, is quickly coming to an end. Do we still think theres any merit to that?

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
I have used Linux for a long time and having root is a given , having full access is to , it is not Open Source without it , the nature of Open Source is just that , Micro$oft is not , Apple is not , and even with them you can gain root privileges , so don't think it is Google trying to lock down the OS .
I think Motorola is scared of Jobs Mobs , my $.02 .
Like someone else said it is easy to develop a OS that out powers the old hardware thus facilitates a upgrade in hardware .

Status
Not open for further replies.