[2.1 OC ROM] Simply Stunning V1.0.1 (2/17/12)

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by ChevyNo1, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    This is the first update I'm releasing to Simply Stunning. Below are the release notes for 1.0.1:

Update - 2/18/10 - After HOURS AND HOURS of testing every little thing that could be causing these reboots, and I mean rebuilding the kernel and all - I've come to this conclusion:

The 2.1 launcher SUCKS!!!

Every situation where I am able to guarantee myself a crash, does NOT crash on the 2.0.1 launcher. I have tried AdamZ's launcher; on 2.1 it simply has the same issues.

That being said - I am not actively working on patching Launcher2. I would rather continue to improve on the ROM, using the 2.0.1 launcher. I will continue to include the 2.1, but before you post up a bug regarding FC's / reboots, try to duplicate on the 2.0.1 launcher. If it still fails, then let me know and I will take a look. I of course will continue to search for answers for this, but I'm not in a position to get into the coding of the apk itself (at least right now).

Using the 2.0.1 launcher I have great results, even at 1.2Ghz.

Added:

A new 2.1 launcher. In extensive testing it has proved to be more stable for me. I hope you find the same. The only thing I need to change about it is for blue buttons to match the theme. But that is not so high on the list ... if anyone feels like theming it, please let me know.

A 2.0.1 launcher (5-screen), which is known to be stable. Now you have a choice of which you want to use. :)

The kernel can now be overclocked to 1.2Ghz. And lower values have been added back in, such as 125/250.

Patches for brightness and touchpad have been included in this new kernel. Details here: AllDroid - View topic - Some random kernel patches for 2.6.29

This kernel will default to 600Mhz at boot-up, and CONTINUE to run at that speed, until you install SetCPU (or another like app) to change that. This is a safety feature in case that doesn't happen right away.

For first-time installers (or those who choose to wipe /data), the default background is now the Nexus Live Wallpaper.

Fixed:

Auto-brightness is back! - Side effect however is the slide-out keyboard does not illuminate unless you press the brightness button on the power control Then it works. A bit of a PITA, but at least you have auto-brightness now.

I've installed a new launcher and tweaked the overclock settings and seem to be quite stable. I have noticed intermittent issues at the 1.2 setting. It also seems to get worse as the battery level goes down, making it important to make good use of the SetCPU settings on battery remaining.

Pandora did not show transparent widget when in landscape mode - fixed.

Removed:

The overly-large 3G icon. The stock 3G icon with activity has returned.

I have left the stock apps untouched for this version. I am no longer including a data partition in the nandroid backup. This means you no longer need to data wipe, UNLESS you are coming from 2.0.1 in which case it is strongly recommended. This also means a slow boot-up for you first-time installers, or those who do wipe /data. But only for the first boot.

You should be able to install my ROM coming from any other 2.1 ROM without wiping. IF you do experience difficulties, I suggest rebooting into recovery, mounting /data, and clearing out dalvik cache:

adb shell busybox rm /data/dalvik-cache/*

Then reboot.

Since there is no /data anymore, ConnectBot and Wifi Tether are no longer in this image. ConnectBot is a free download in the Market, and I've supplied the link to to tether app.

Known Issues:

2.1 Launchers are notorious for having issues in landscape mode. This one seems to be better than any others I've tried, but it is still buggy. I've had times where I've had no issues whatsoever, going crazy with scrolling, entering/exiting apps, etc. Other times, it just crashes randomly. If you find you can't live with that. run the 2.0.1 launcher instead. Of course I will continue to look for better alternatives for you all, and welcome suggestions.

I have noticed a little flakiness with the keyboard backlight. As stated, with brightness working now the keyboard backlight does not come on automatically. Pressing the brightness button in the power widget will make them come on and stay on.

If your phone is locked, opening the keyboard will get you right in - not good, but a known bug with all 2.1 launchers.

General Notes below:

I know you have a few choices out there ... however this IS a 2.1 ROM. This is my first crack at making one. Have not included much in the way of optional programs; there are many links out there explaining how to get them. This is intended to be as basic, fast, stable, AND stunning.

I have put the ROM together as well as compiled my own kernel for it; the only difference between this kernel and stock is the overclock ability. Also note that there are now TEN slots available! For the average user that's overkill; the intent was to have enough slots to keep everyone happy, as everyone has their ideal setup.

If I have missed giving credit where credit is due, it was an oversight - please correct me and I will make it right.

I also want to point out for the folks wanting a themeless ROM ... since the base of this ROM is really Greek35T's from here:

AllDroid - View topic - Version 1.0.0Beta is here! [ROM]

You can use his ROM, and then nandroid-install my OC kernel + Wifi. You'll get the stock theme. You won't get the additional commands I added, ie more, less, sysrw, etc. Since many of you do NOT like the theme I put together, that is your alternative. You'll also have to install Wifi-tethering manually, link here (I know there is a pre4 release, but I haven't had time to test and hence cannot yet recommend): http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wireless_tether_2_0-pre3_eclair.apk

Download Links (nandroid)
    *********** - online file sharing and storage - download SimplyStunning-v1.0.1.zip
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YBQT1DI3

Download Link (OC image (10 slots) - nandroid backup):
    *********** - online file sharing and storage - download ChevyNo1-OC-v3.zip

Download Link (Wifi Module Only):
    *********** - online file sharing and storage - download tiwlan_drv.zip

Nandroid Backup Installation Instructions:

-Update (if available) all of your apps before installing
    -Extract the files from the archive using WinRAR or a similar program
    -Place the extracted folder (the ROM) into the "nandroid" folder on your sdcard
    -Reboot into recovery mode
    -Backup/Restore
    -Advanced Nandroid Restore
    -Choose backup (select the ROM)
    -Perform Restore
    -Done!

Do not worry that it shows 'data' as automatically being selected. It doesn't matter, as no data partition is in this nandroid backup. Your data is safe.

Base:
    Greek35T's 2.1 1.0.0Beta ROM

Added:
    -HQ Video Recording Tweak (credit to Fede)
    -Version Information In Settings > About Phone
    -Disabled OTA Updates
    -Disabled default ring delay of 3 seconds (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -*Battery Saver* Wifi Scans Increased to 30 seconds (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -Themed Pandora to match other widgets for Glass (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -Overclocked Kernel with TEN slots allows clocking of 125-1200 MHz in mixed steps (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -Working Nexus Live Wallpapers (credit to Koush)

-Added commands sysrw/sysro for mounting /system read/write or readonly. Also note that sysro remounts read only AND performs the sync for you

-Added new Linux commands that I sorely missed:

more
    head
    tail
    which
    cp
    grep
    find
    awk
    sed
    less

Removed:

-Camera Shutter Sound
    -Video Recording Sound (credit to ChevyNo1)

Theme:
    -Smoked Glass Blue (credit to AdamZ modified by ChevyNo1)
    -Added custom status bar icons (credit to blake2050@droidforums)
    -Clear push-icons on desktop (credit to ReverendYo - skinned from Alldroid community ROM)
    -White Clock (credit to Ohsaka)

Disclaimer:
    This is an overclock ROM, therefore if you're not careful, you'll do damage. I am not responsible for any such damage, you use this of your own free will.

Enjoy, and feedback is always welcome - bugs included

Screenshots posted here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/22578-2-1-oc-rom-simply-stunning-v1-0-0-2-12-10-a.html
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're AWESOME ChevyNo1!!!!!!!!!

Gonna try it now... :)
  3. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy- Loved your previous version. Downloading it now and will let you know. Have you thought about a donate link for all of your hard work?
  4. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    I have put one up previously but was asked by admins to remove it ... certainly PM me if you want :)
  5. bracemg

bracemg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any other way to download this? I'm at work and I can't get on the uploading site - it's blocking me!
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No bracemg since this is a nandroid backup you can't download straight to your Droid....if it was an update.zip then yes but not this
  7. bracemg

bracemg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone just post the download directly?
  8. Thepunkinator

Thepunkinator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This one is awesome Chevy! Thanks! All loaded and running great. 30 minutes with no problems anywhere. You da man!
  9. gregsjh13

gregsjh13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanksss!!!!!!!!!!
  10. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    u can DL it from your droid. just have linda file mgr free from mkt
  11. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
  12. srt4mn

srt4mn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So we should be able to leave the 3 options automatically checked in the Nandroid restore option screen in Recovery (boot, data, system) and it should leave all our apps, widgets, etc. as they are currently if we are using the 1.0.0 version of your ROM?
  13. HMJB

HMJB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    uncheck data..

No patcher for keyboard lights?
  14. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes - even though 'data' is checked, there is no data.tar in the backup - so nandroid will leave your /data alone (which is where all your apps/settings are)
  15. srt4mn

srt4mn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, thanks!