2.1 Live Wallpapers with DROID ???

woooahthere

Reaction score
DROID has Arm® Cortex™ A8 processor 550 mHz and NEXUS ONE has Qualcomm QSD 8250 1 GHz

I pose this question...when the inevitable 2.1.0 OTA comes to us Droid users....how much of our processor power is gonna be sucked down to let "live" wallpapers look pretty? Don't get me wrong, I want them to show off as bad as the next guy....I'm just afraid my never-laggy Droid will decide to lose half the speed/responsiveness I love so much.

Am I the only person who is wondering this? Or am I missing something that's already been resolved?

:)

Hopefully, this is completely a non-issue. I was simply curious if it was or not

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing but not really that important for me to have live wall papers. I'll be keeping my current static wall paper anyway.

OP
W

woooahthere

Reaction score
I agree, I mean yeah to pull out the phone and show off, it's a great thing. If it's gonna hurt my speed...no thanks. Not a deal maker/breaker at all...just noticed no one had mentioned or approached it.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Droid has a dedicated GPU with a very high fill rate (a lot higher than the Qualcomm Snapdragon)

It's a wait and see how they will run. I'm assuming they will run just as "good" or better on the Droid once optimized for the Moto's hardware but at this point it's any ones guess

Just an FYI It's being reported that they do not run real fast on the N1 and use up a lot of power.

edit: some specs on both processors

the 3430 has a GPU that pushes 18.5M triangles and about 662M pixels per second @ 530MHz the specs on the current snapdragon chipset list 22M triangles and 133M pixels per second. Not sure why the fill rate is so bad on the snapdragon but qualcomm didn't exactly go for 3d muscle in its MSM7500 series either so their GPU may simply be gimped with respect to fill rate.

mike_kauble

Reaction score
I ran the live wallpapers for an hour or so. They don't seem to slow down the phone. But the novelty wore off pretty quick and I put it back to what I had.

OP
W

woooahthere

Reaction score
yeah...I'd read that N1 didn't optimize them at the expected level, but then I turn around and hear that the N1 makes the DROID cry with it's speed/responsiveness/power. Hence, my curiousity

NickWgnr

Reaction score
We will all have to see once we get 2.1 if it makes it slower/ laggy. As for the live wallpapers themselves, I highly doubt Ill be rocking one all the time (perhaps only when I want to bash an iSUCK or just show off the DROID), haha.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad CK gave specs on the gpu and CPU.

My take on this just using basic 'puter common sense and my 'puter background is this:

If given to us, certainly optimized for the hardware vice what has been ported over, it should run great!

I've said before that with our gpu/CPU combo that I expect comparable performance overall on 2.1 to the N1, because of the dedicated gpu. At least I know I'll be happy with it.

I compare live wallpaper to force feedback on PC joysticks, I'll have it on for a bit, then back to my daughter's pic, using it as well to tick off iPhone users... it will really be a passing fad UNLESS they get the ability to add the live effects to our own backgrounds.

Then you have the best of both worlds, the live effects on your favorite background, not just what is given. That would keep me leaving it activated on my Droid.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid has a dedicated GPU with a very high fill rate (a lot higher than the Qualcomm Snapdragon)

It's a wait and see how they will run. I'm assuming they will run just as "good" or better on the Droid once optimized for the Moto's hardware but at this point it's any ones guess

Just an FYI It's being reported that they do not run real fast on the N1 and use up a lot of power.

edit: some specs on both processors

the 3430 has a GPU that pushes 18.5M triangles and about 662M pixels per second @ 530MHz the specs on the current snapdragon chipset list 22M triangles and 133M pixels per second. Not sure why the fill rate is so bad on the snapdragon but qualcomm didn't exactly go for 3d muscle in its MSM7500 series either so their GPU may simply be gimped with respect to fill rate.

Interestingly enough. From what I have been told the droid may run the live wallpapers BETTER than the N1. That is due to it's dedicated GPU. Only time will tell since I haven't rooted or tried. I for one can't wait to see them on my Droid

OP
W

woooahthere

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have to say, I'm a bit more excited now for the update. (If that's possible!) I'm dying to trump my coworker, who just got another iPhone.
"Oh, that's my wallpaper. You know, those things you can't get on your phone right out of the box...oh yeah it moves and reacts to my touch......What? You can't do anything like that?!?"
I win.

moot

Reaction score
I'm curious, if the Droid has such a good gpu, why have more games not taken advantage of this?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm curious, if the Droid has such a good gpu, why have more games not taken advantage of this?

good question.

i would also like to see more games be released to the Droid. It'd make a great device to kill some extra time. Sometimes emulators don't do the job cause of the difficult setup.

OP
W

woooahthere

Reaction score

My guess is the whole, "apps can't be installed and ran from SD card" issue.
That's why iPhone games are currently "better" seeming than ours at this point...however, supposedly Google is addressing this soon.
I can't wait.

Edit:
What I meant, for those who dunno what I'm talking about...iPhone has 16MB or whatever depending on what it is and ever bit of it is optimized by the phones OS...Droid uses our 16Mb SD card in a more storage, not phone performance wise type manner...
Does that make sense? Haha

astokes

Reaction score
As far as I know the Droid can do OpenGL but Android OS doens't at the present.