2.1 issues

countryboy498

Reaction score
I can't say for sure it will make it better in your situation. For my wife the new phone cleaned up most of her issues. Like I said though, her battery will not last 6 hours even just on stand by. So it stays plugged in all the time. Its unfortunate too that the Eris doesn't charge near as fast as my Motorola Droid. But I would for sure try a new one if its still under warranty.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife’s Eris was a POS to begin with. Once I downloaded the 2.1 she was having all the same issue mentioned here. I called Verizon several times and they always wanted to troubleshoot it over the phone. The third time I went in the store, the immediately gave us a new phone. I hesitantly downloaded 2.1 again…….. She has hated her phone up until tonight. She had to get from work to my son’s baseball game, a place far from home and she has never been there before. She punched in the address, and it took her straight to the ball field! LOL! Now she loves her phone!!!

Only still issue is her battery life is horrible…. Really bad. But she now keeps a charger at work, home and in the car so she doesn’t mind trading that issue for turn by turn navigation.

Have her download Quick Settings and install it. One of the things you can change in Quick Settings is the screen brightness. That will impact her battery life greatly!

Also, make sure she turns off GPS, WIFI, Blue Tooth (Quick Settings makes that easy to do as well) when not in use.

JimeB

Reaction score
I did the 2.1 update on my Eris and had the weather widget several people did with it not synching. That was fixed after I saw how on this forum. Now, I lost my "home" on the weather. I live in Fredericksburg VA and when ever I try to install that location, I get a message say that Fredericksburg (or any place close to here) is not strored. The closest place is Richmond or DC (each about 40 miles away. Strangely enough, when I go to the "current" location it shows up. Any idea how I can set this as a permanent location? Thanks.

Jim B

brentonius

Reaction score
Update resolution

First, my Eris worked great and I couldn't have been happier with the 1.5 but I was incredibly excited about the 2.1. Like everyone I was weighing the options on "cheating" and just updating with a leak. Received it some time ago and liked the new features but had a lot of the issues people have mentioned. (contacts took hours to sync, weather app kept crashing the phone, GPS refused to work even after allowing it in BOTH places, bummed by the lack of live wallpaper) I woke up about 36 hours after the update and the phone had shut off but not rebooted. Tried to boot it up but it was bricked. Ran through all the tricks. (pulled the battery, included the volume buttons, etc) It eventually booted up and then did the same thing about an hour later.
The resolution. Called Verizon. The rep tried not to make it obvious that this had happened to other people but wasn't surprised. Ran me through the same tricks over the phone. Brick. They sent me a new phone factory loaded with 1.5 (which I had also tried with mine) which proceeded to update to 2.1. It works brilliantly. Its faster with absolutely no glitches.
That said... does anyone know of a way to do the following? Is it possible to trash the mp3store and stop the voicedialer from running automatically? I'm sure I could figure it out but at this point I'm really nervous about messing up my baby. ; ) Thanks.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did the 2.1 update on my Eris and had the weather widget several people did with it not synching. That was fixed after I saw how on this forum. Now, I lost my "home" on the weather. I live in Fredericksburg VA and when ever I try to install that location, I get a message say that Fredericksburg (or any place close to here) is not strored. The closest place is Richmond or DC (each about 40 miles away. Strangely enough, when I go to the "current" location it shows up. Any idea how I can set this as a permanent location? Thanks.

Jim B

I had a similar problem. I just set up Current as the default and called it a day. :icon_ banana:

How-Buds

Reaction score
Like I received a brand new smartphone!

Hi all..I have had nothing but an awesome time with my Eris since the 2.1 OTA upgrade. No issues as others are experiencing. Battery management, speed of web, camera, weather updates, etc. all running excellent. I purchase my Eris in November 2009 so I can say without a doubt that the upgrade was just that…like a new, sweet smartphone! Here is my question… how many of u performed the OTA from a OEM 1.5 Android OS? I am guessing that others on so many blogs with issues may have performed some, well, u know, something that made their update perform so poorly. Think about Verizon & HTC software engineers making the update for a stock 1.5 to 2.1 OS. Please remember I am only just thinking out loud cause again my Eris is like a whole new phone & working wonderfully. So to conclude if Verizon does offer a patch or patches, what about those folks that aren’t having any issues whatsoever...do u patch or ignore?

Machines

Reaction score
My Eris experience since the update has been horrible. Things that have been happening since the update (feel free to jump in and let me know if any of these are actually features):

1. The ringer on the phone fades out as soon as the phone is moved. Most of the time the phone is in my pants pocket, meaning most of the time I don't get my calls because I don't hear the ringer as it fades out immediately after it starts. Can't figure out if this is a feature and don't see anywhere to turn it off/on.

2. Everything lags. There are times where I've waited over 20 seconds for the phone to register input, mostly when selecting a number from my contacts list.

3. Screen will shutoff and not come back while on a call. Hitting the power button used to bring it back but now it immediately ends the call. Have yet to figure out a solution to this. Makes it very difficult to do anything over the phone that requires keypad input (like paying a bill).

4. Duplicate notifications on everything. Prior to the update, choosing another application as the default would stop notifications from similar programs (ie, Handcent would trump HTC Messages. Same was true for gmail.). Current workaround has been to remove all widgets from Sense and then go back into SlideScreen. Didn't need to do this before.

There are more, but the above are the annoyances that come to mind immediately. I've avoided updating my wife's Eris and have been considering going to the Verizon store and seeking an alternative device for myself.

How-Buds

Reaction score
Issue #1 Fix

My Eris experience since the update has been horrible. Things that have been happening since the update (feel free to jump in and let me know if any of these are actually features):

1. The ringer on the phone fades out as soon as the phone is moved. Most of the time the phone is in my pants pocket, meaning most of the time I don't get my calls because I don't hear the ringer as it fades out immediately after it starts. Can't figure out if this is a feature and don't see anywhere to turn it off/on.

2. Everything lags. There are times where I've waited over 20 seconds for the phone to register input, mostly when selecting a number from my contacts list.

3. Screen will shutoff and not come back while on a call. Hitting the power button used to bring it back but now it immediately ends the call. Have yet to figure out a solution to this. Makes it very difficult to do anything over the phone that requires keypad input (like paying a bill).

4. Duplicate notifications on everything. Prior to the update, choosing another application as the default would stop notifications from similar programs (ie, Handcent would trump HTC Messages. Same was true for gmail.). Current workaround has been to remove all widgets from Sense and then go back into SlideScreen. Didn't need to do this before.

There are more, but the above are the annoyances that come to mind immediately. I've avoided updating my wife's Eris and have been considering going to the Verizon store and seeking an alternative device for myself.

Hi...I read your issues and noticed I had the same problem #1...here is what I found...

all programs/settings/sound & display/quiet ring on pickup...un-check...

Sorry but I don't have any information on your other three issues...good luck!

dancedroid

Machines

Reaction score

Hi...I read your issues and noticed I had the same problem #1...here is what I found...

all programs/settings/sound & display/quiet ring on pickup...un-check...

Sorry but I don't have any information on your other three issues...good luck!

dancedroid

Thanks for helping on at least one of them! Was really starting to annoy me. I swear I looked for it in the settings before but must have missed it. Thank you!

jester369

Reaction score
Where in settings do you enter your vm password to have it dial automatically?

JimeB

Reaction score
LoneWolf Archer,
I went to the Verizon store and they had the same issue I had as far as getting the address. How do make a "current" address the "default" address? That would solve the issue. I would just like to have a quick way to check the weather and forecast when I'm on the road.

Jim B

dirtyblueballoons

Reaction score
DO NOT UPGRADE!

My phone was working perfectly before the update. After installing 2.1, the phone's battery status LED started blinking orange and green and the battery indicator icon on the top of the screen was shown as a battery with an exclamation point (status unknown?!?!). The battery was still powering the phone, but would no longer charge. I also could no longer connect the phone to my computer. I noticed that the phone got very hot while installing the update, so maybe something overheated and screwed up some internal hardware.

I took the phone to Verizon - they tried hooking up different batteries & chargers & determined that the problem was the phone itself. I got a "certified like-new replacement" via FedEx the next morning. Luckily, this has 1.5 and I will NOT be updating it.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
DO NOT UPGRADE!

My phone was working perfectly before the update. After installing 2.1, the phone's battery status LED started blinking orange and green and the battery indicator icon on the top of the screen was shown as a battery with an exclamation point (status unknown?!?!). The battery was still powering the phone, but would no longer charge. I also could no longer connect the phone to my computer. I noticed that the phone got very hot while installing the update, so maybe something overheated and screwed up some internal hardware.

I took the phone to Verizon - they tried hooking up different batteries & chargers & determined that the problem was the phone itself. I got a "certified like-new replacement" via FedEx the next morning. Luckily, this has 1.5 and I will NOT be updating it.

That is unfortunate. People that have received replacement phones have had good luck with the 2.1 upgrade afterward. But to each their own! :)

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
LoneWolf Archer,
I went to the Verizon store and they had the same issue I had as far as getting the address. How do make a "current" address the "default" address? That would solve the issue. I would just like to have a quick way to check the weather and forecast when I'm on the road.

Jim B

Delete all locations from the weather app. This will make the Current location the default.