2.1 Install Issues

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by stevether, Jan 10, 2010.

1. stevether

stevether New Member

If someone has already posted on the same issues I'm having, my bad. I searched and didn't find anything.

I recently did the install of root and 2.1 on my droid, following the format in this forum. It worked, but it's really laggy, and it crashes often, giving me the error "com.android.launcher2"

Also, the physical keyboard isn't lighting up.

Is there a fix for this?
  2. freddroidhead

freddroidhead New Member

which 2.1 install file did you use? was it the one in the big thread at the top of this forum 'How to install 2.1 the easy way'?
  3. stevether

stevether New Member

4. freddroidhead

freddroidhead New Member

did you wipe the system clean before installing it? i have it on my phone and its working great. i'm having another issue not related to 2.1 though other than i need to have it rerooted.
  5. stevether

stevether New Member

Well, it had a good 3 or 4 months of use before I began the rooting and 2.1 installing process. One of the steps in the tutorial posted is to wipe it clean, which I did do, if that's what you're referring to.
  6. freddroidhead

freddroidhead New Member

I don't know what could be slowing your phone down other than maybe an app running in the background. I know the live wallpapers are a battery drainer on the droid. I just now reinstalled the 2.1 rom from the how to guide. It was already in my backups file. I had to do it to get root access again after losing it from having a bad app I had to uninstall and it removed root access.
  7. stevether

stevether New Member

I took off the live background and it seemed to help. Still not as responsive as it first was though.
  8. stevether

stevether New Member

Keyboard still isn't lighting up. Anyone know what's up?
  9. JoeeDB

JoeeDB Member

Honestly, I'd go back to 2.0.1. I had the same problems as you (along with many others) and went back to 2.0.1. You won't regret it lol. The features in 2.1 are nice but once you go back to 2.0.1 it's amazing how much faster everything is. Just gotta wait for the official 2.1 i guess.
  10. jhietter

jhietter New Member

I'm having a few issues as well

I installed from the same instructions, using ANDROID2.1_GREEK35T_REV.0.0.41.zip.

I'm seeing a few bugs with it, but I think it might be related to the live wallpaper (which seems to be the coolest feature of 2.1). The Nexus wallpaper won't even preview, let alone load. It's just a white screen. So I was using the watery one. 4 times now, when I click the applications button, I get a black screen. The first two times I rebooted to fix it. The last time I waited and after about a minute, the apps showed up. I think the wallpaper, home screens and apps screen are all one process (com.android.launcher2), so I think this process with the live wallpaper & the cool scrolling apps is just having trouble on the Droid. This is just a noob guess - I'm not an Android developer and I only started using Android a week & a half ago.

Another weird thing that happened is I got a notification alarm for no reason. Twice last night after the install and once this morning when plugging into my laptop. It's not even a ringer that I selected for anything. Very strange. I may end up rolling back, but I'm going to give it some time.
  11. pcandroid

pcandroid New Member

The 2.1 port has had quite a few issues for people. If it were me I would use one of the sholes.info 2.0.1 roms it has almost all of the features of 2.1 without the issues.
  12. jhietter

jhietter New Member

That sounds like a good idea - I'll have to check that out. Thanks!