2.1 Gallery Force Closes

kapdani

Reaction score
Since updating to 2.1 the Gallery app begins to start up, then force closes, then repeats this behavior in a loop until you kill it. Strangely, this is the only new "feature" that I can identify after installing the update. Were there not some things like 5 home screens instead of 3 and a new app launcher and other features with 2.1???

Would love to either get the Gallery app fixed or, as a 2d choice, remove it. It is a system app and I see no way to get rid of it or re-install it.

Thanks,

Kapdani

Kevinsky

Reaction score
Yea, Gallery is very slow and rarely shows and plays any of my Media. Please Fix!:blackdroid:

J*Bishop

Reaction score
have you tried deleting then re-placing it on home screen?

the 5 home screens and new app drawer were just rumors. if you would like more home screens you can download Helixlauncher from the Market Place. as of now, DO NOT USE the Helixlauncher2.

for what it's worth there is a BETA version of Helixlauncher2, which is not in market, out with the 3d app drawer and mulitiple home screens.

Last edited:
OP
K

kapdani

Reaction score
J*,

As far as I can tell, "Gallery" cannot be deleted. It is not on my HOME screen. It is on an apps page with the other app icons. "Gallery" worked before the 2.1 update and it was a totally different app. The "Gallery" after the 2.1 update is by CoolIris and it has never worked on my Verizon Motorola Droid. Strangely enough, it works fine on my wife's droid.

the 5 home screens and new app drawer were just rumors. if you would like more home screens you can download Helixlauncher from the Market Place. as of now, DO NOT USE the Helixlauncher2.

for what it's worth there is a BETA version of Helixlauncher2, which is not in market, out with the 3d app drawer and mulitiple home screens.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
J*,

As far as I can tell, "Gallery" cannot be deleted. It is not on my HOME screen. It is on an apps page with the other app icons. "Gallery" worked before the 2.1 update and it was a totally different app. The "Gallery" after the 2.1 update is by CoolIris and it has never worked on my Verizon Motorola Droid. Strangely enough, it works fine on my wife's droid.

Delete the gallery. It can be done, I did this with my brothers phone. After you delete the gallery and pull battery for a full 30 seconds. Restart the phone. See if that doesn't help.

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score
Since updating to 2.1 the Gallery app begins to start up, then force closes, then repeats this behavior in a loop until you kill it. Strangely, this is the only new "feature" that I can identify after installing the update. Were there not some things like 5 home screens instead of 3 and a new app launcher and other features with 2.1???

Would love to either get the Gallery app fixed or, as a 2d choice, remove it. It is a system app and I see no way to get rid of it or re-install it.

Thanks,

Kapdani

Have you found a fix? Mine started doing this today.
The video camera crashed too. I'm using PRO Zoom Camera 5X but it just starts up the "stock" video app.

OP
K

kapdani

Reaction score
hook,

RE: Delete the gallery. It can be done, I did this with my brothers phone.

Tell me exactly how you did this with your brother's phone. I'm all ears.

Kapdani

J*,

Delete the gallery. It can be done, I did this with my brothers phone. After you delete the gallery and pull battery for a full 30 seconds. Restart the phone. See if that doesn't help.

OP
K

kapdani

Reaction score
Muzzle,

No, I have not yet found a solution. I tried clearing out all the images and videos and thumbnails from the SD card and then clearing the data for the gallery application but it still force closes in a loop. I would love to delete the application but see no way to do that.

Sigh....

Kapdani

Thanks,

Kapdani

Have you found a fix? Mine started doing this today.
The video camera crashed too. I'm using PRO Zoom Camera 5X but it just starts up the "stock" video app.