2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The list of features in the update are really quite disappointing. No 3D App tray, apparently no additional home screens. I want the supposed speed and operation improvements, and LIVE Wallpaper will be nice to play with, but not much else really in the update.

Now if this positions us to get Flash in a short time frame, then that is a gain!

However, this is not the end of the world.
It is not something to get so worked up over.

Disappointing yes.... devastating NO!!

I think everyone just assumes that 3D launcher and additional home screens is a part of 2.1 because the Nexus One has them. However, if you install the SDK and create a 2.1 Virtual Machine (which I did) you get Live wallpapers, standard launcher and 3 home screens. No options that I can find for a 3D launcher or more home screens. This tells me they are NOT part of 2.1 but rather that Google added something extra to the Nexus One to differentiate it from other devices that would eventually get the 2.1 update.

Now I am sure that a bunch of you will whine that Motorola should have included these also, but they were not in the 2.1 baseline code so Motorola would have had to create their own versions from scratch. Since this is a "Google Experience" phone they probably decided to take what is in the 2.1 baseline and use it. Plus - if they did add those features themselves who knows how much longer we'd be waiting for 2.1. Don't forget, Droid Eris and HTC Hero phones are still on 1.6 IIRC correctly.

A better indicator would be to download the source. I'll admit I haven't, but if its in the 2.1 source, its part of 2.1.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I don't even know how to get the live wallpaper for maps working - if you enable it does the GPS run all the time?

Nah.

It uses aGPS.

Huh??? aGPS is STILL GPS (it's assisted GPS, not alternate GPS). The only difference is that information is provided via the cell network about GPS locations so that a quicker fix can be established with the satelites.

'fraid not friend. You are confused.

aGPS is not true GPS, and is to assist standalone GPS. It does not use sattelite, nor the GPS, it uses tower triangulation, or if you prefer, wireless networks (cellular).

Thats why Gmaps locks on as fast as it does. Itr uses aGPS to narrow the location down, then uses the actual sattelites to track you accurately.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do I get it to work with live wallpaper?

Nah.

It uses aGPS.

Huh??? aGPS is STILL GPS (it's assisted GPS, not alternate GPS). The only difference is that information is provided via the cell network about GPS locations so that a quicker fix can be established with the satelites.

aGPS is not true GPS, and is to assist standalone GPS. It does not use sattelite, nor the GPS, it uses tower triangulation, or if you prefer, wireless networks (cellular).

Thats why Gmaps locks on as fast as it does. Itr uses aGPS to narrow the location down, then uses the actual sattelites to track you accurately.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I don't even know how to get the live wallpaper for maps working - if you enable it does the GPS run all the time?

Nah.

It uses aGPS.

To add onto my last post, feel free to run the Gmaps 4.1 live wallpaper after switching off use wireless networks (aGPS) in the Privacy and security settings. Then notice that you no longer have a location dot on the map. it merely loads the last location it showed on the wp.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
How do I get it to work with live wallpaper?

I wasn't gonna say because it seems to piss people off in this thread.

You need ESE53, or hacked 2.0.1 to show live walls.

Slipstream

Reaction score
I think everyone just assumes that 3D launcher and additional home screens is a part of 2.1 because the Nexus One has them. However, if you install the SDK and create a 2.1 Virtual Machine (which I did) you get Live wallpapers, standard launcher and 3 home screens. No options that I can find for a 3D launcher or more home screens. This tells me they are NOT part of 2.1 but rather that Google added something extra to the Nexus One to differentiate it from other devices that would eventually get the 2.1 update.

Now I am sure that a bunch of you will whine that Motorola should have included these also, but they were not in the 2.1 baseline code so Motorola would have had to create their own versions from scratch. Since this is a "Google Experience" phone they probably decided to take what is in the 2.1 baseline and use it. Plus - if they did add those features themselves who knows how much longer we'd be waiting for 2.1. Don't forget, Droid Eris and HTC Hero phones are still on 1.6 IIRC correctly.

Totally agree with this. Google has direct access to the 2.1 framework, and it would make sense that they would "spice up" their version of the Android OS to attract people away from carrier-sponsored devices. They (Google) certainly have no motivation to give up one of the few things that makes the N1 unique.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Totally agree with this. Google has direct access to the 2.1 framework, and it would make sense that they would "spice up" their version of the Android OS to attract people away from carrier-sponsored devices. They (Google) certainly have no motivation to give up one of the few things that makes the N1 unique.

Once again, running an sdk emulator is hardly representative. Has anyone actually checked the 2.1 source?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

Googles object is to get Android onto the most phones possible for ad dollars.

They don't care which phone you buy.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been saying the 3d thing was never intended for the Droid...

I have to agree. Ever since installing hl1 and ditching all the 3d based launcher I have not had any f/c and I'm running DM.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Helix is very quick, and stable.

Helix 2....eh....ESE53 won't run it. Not sure about 2.0.1. Koush's rom will.

rkeller62

Reaction score

You contradict yourself here. I readily accept that my description is not totally accurate. However, you state in the first paragraph that the satellites are NOT used but then go on to say in the second that satellites are used to track you accurately.

While the cell network may be used to give a broad brush "circle" of where are, they still need the satellites to pinpoint your location with any degree of accuracy.

That being said - I am talking about GPS and aGPS functionality only - I have NO idea what the maps live wallpaper uses, but to state that it uses aGPS implies that the GPS satellites are employed. It could, however, use simple cell tower triangulation alone which has absolutely nothing to do with GPS or aGPS services.

Status
Not open for further replies.