2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is possible that the 1st 1000 were planned to go to reps and company techs to verify all is smooth. The "2.1 ota is cancelled" has not been made official.
Moto told me that it was sent out.
We will no for sure in a couple of hours.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
One would figure if they can report the delay so quickly, then a resume of the OTA could be figured just as quick.

I think the vs Rep yanked your .... to finish the call, hope I'm wrong though...

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

Droid101

Reaction score
One would figure if they can report the delay so quickly, then a resume of the OTA could be figured just as quick.

I think the vs Rep yanked your .... to finish the call, hope I'm wrong though...

I hope so too. One thing in favor of it NOT being delayed is VZW never officially announced it was delayed nor did Motorola(although Moto seems like they are trying to play dumb). So I think it will come out as planned its VZW now whose reputation is much better than Moto. Fingers Crossed:)

Vitticeps

Reaction score
this seems like some pretty solid clarification,
Verizon Clarifies Android 2.1 Update for Droid (Phone Scoop)

Yes it does Help I know most are probably taking this as an I will believe it when I see it but I was having droid issues so I called VZW tech support the women was very nice and fixed my issue very quickly I asked if the update was delayed and she said no it wasn't it had been released. So I asked when I would get it and she said my region (Capital Region NY) will be one of the first to receive it in the next 3 days either tonight,Tomorrow or Saturday. She said there were NO issues with the update and they will continue to send it out. If I knew how to do it on my house phone I would have recorded the conversation and put it up here because I myself do not put much trust when someone says what I did but I can tell you this was the exact thing the women said. So anyone in my area will be one of the first to get 2.1:)

It's not that people wont believe that a verizon employee told you that. It's that people wont believe that the verizon employee knew what they were talking about.

Remember the old telephone game? Where you get a big group of friends in a circle and someone starts by whispering something to the person to their left, then that person whispers it to the one on their left and so on until it makes it all the way around. Rarely will the message be the same after passing through so many channels. The same principal applies to large corporations communicating to their employees. Specially the "grunt" level employees who are given only the big picture with little details.

I have no doubt that a verizon employee told you that. I have no doubt that that employee believed what she told you. I do doubt that she was correct however.

zero7404

Reaction score
so...who of all ppl here have been extended this update so far ?

i'm disappointed to hear it doesn't come with flash, and that vzw is including weather in it ... so what are ppl that paid for apps like weatherbug elite supposed to feel like about that ... ?

krighton

Reaction score
what's wrong with including weather? More options is never a bad thing...maybe it blows away weather bug.

unknowndroid

Reaction score

i'm disappointed to hear it doesn't come with flash, and that vzw is including weather in it ... so what are ppl that paid for apps like weatherbug elite supposed to feel like about that ... ?

Even the smallest amount of reading would alert you to the fact that Verizon is not including weather, the Weather and News Widget is part of Android 2.1 and was part of the build on the Nexus One. Verizon isn't including it, it is what Google put in the OS. Also, it has been available for 2.0.1 since about 2 days after Nexus One was released. Again, not by Verizon, but because it is included with the OS.

TheRenfro

Reaction score
I'm done trying to figure out what's going on. First I see the picture saying the OTA's been delayed. Then I see VZWNetwork on Twitter saying there is no delay (This is a confirmed Verizon Twitter account). And now I see something that says the initial 1000 updates went out but the rest of the updates are delayed. My brain hurts trying to keep up with all these rumors.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man am I glad I did not go back to stock in prep of this OTA.

Why is that? First going back to stock is not giving yourself a post phone. Stock Droid is a great phone. I think I like it better then Droidmod. It took me two minutes to get back to stock and about 5 minutes to root and install droidmod.

Trust me I don't regret it at all.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

Even the smallest amount of reading would alert you to the fact that Verizon is not including weather, the Weather and News Widget is part of Android 2.1 and was part of the build on the Nexus One. Verizon isn't including it, it is what Google put in the OS. Also, it has been available for 2.0.1 since about 2 days after Nexus One was released. Again, not by Verizon, but because it is included with the OS.

The weather widget for 2.1 is not all that good... free weatherbug is better IMO and as far as more weather apps being better... I agree.

I have Weatherbug, Accuweather, Weather Channel, Radar Now and a few others (all free) they never agree with each other anyway so you have to decide on your own which to believe.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm done trying to figure out what's going on. First I see the picture saying the OTA's been delayed. Then I see VZWNetwork on Twitter saying there is no delay (This is a confirmed Verizon Twitter account). And now I see something that says the initial 1000 updates went out but the rest of the updates are delayed. My brain hurts trying to keep up with all these rumors.

If 1000 updates went out I would find it hard to believe that not a single person wouldn't have got on the internet and talked about it in a forum. I will agree however that the distribution amount makes sense. Only a small amount of Droid owners would receive it, not everybody.

We have sources here as well and its my understanding that it was delayed however it could be started again this evening.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man am I glad I did not go back to stock in prep of this OTA.

Why is that? First going back to stock is not giving yourself a post phone. Stock Droid is a great phone. I think I like it better then Droidmod. It took me two minutes to get back to stock and about 5 minutes to root and install droidmod.

Trust me I don't regret it at all.

To each his own. The phone is a great phone rooted or not. True rooting allows feature that you can not get with a stock phone, but it is not the end all solution.
Do I like playing around with ROMs, yeah, but every time I flash a new rom I have to restore all my data and apps, re pair my bluetooth devices, and redo my home screens. I finally found a rom that I am cool with and I plan on staying with it until either droidmod cut up the official 2.1 or I find that it is rootable.
But people posting that its the greatest thing since slice bread do not add the fact that people who rush into it wind up panicking on the forums that they think their phones are bricked. I will not rush and install a new ROM because its "cool", because the past couple of days I have seen people rush into a ROM and then they have problems and panic. That is how I feel about ROMS and rooting, it is cool if you do the research and make sure it is stable and has very little issues if any. But if you install one from day one (example the cyanogen mod rom) and you are unfamiliar with the ROM then you will panic when you think you are unable to return to stock or your old ROM.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Stock Droid is a great phone. I think I like it better then Droidmod.

There is nothing wrong with you loving stock. No offense intended, but until you install Ultimate Droid 7.8 or one of the other ESE53 roms, you will never understand why he is glad he did not go back to stock. Just like you, I ran the Droidmod rom and thought what is the big deal. I saw no advantage to it outside of wifi tether. Then, I took a chance with UD 7.8 and I quickly became enlightened. The speed and smoothness is head and shoulders above a 2.01 rom. Also battery life is much better *and* no FCs. Due to the ease of the install and people's desire to get the 2.1 ota update, I cannot begin to imagine why they are waiting for the ota to run 2.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.