2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I wonder what the real reason for the holdup is. Is it a distribution problem, a ROM bug or an apple lawsuit issue? Very strange that there's no communication from VZW as to why. Seems like a little openness on the issue would go a long way with angry customers. I guess i just don't understand the reason behind the caginess.

It's not the Apple lawsuit. As far as I know there is no bug in the update. The story that I have seen, and has yet to be refuted is the fact that Bitfone had distirbution problems. Something went wrong last week during the start of the rollout.

I'll find the article again and repost, it's a couple of miles back in this thread, and may even be on page one.

The salient point in that article is the statement that Bitfone contracted the services of a consultant to consult on the "redesign" of their distribution network... I have always understood that consultants are not called in unless something has gone beyond the abilities, or skills of the in-house people to remedy. I have seen it before...

IF a redesign is in the works then, folks, we are going to be waiting at least another week, possibly longer.

The bare fact is this: Collectively as a whole, right now, we know nothing. VZW and Motorola have been silent on 2.1 since last week, so, I think we can safely assume they are not doing anything with it right now. We have several members with connections in the industry, whatever those connections might be, they have provided some information.... since none of those connected individuals have spoken up, then, again, we can assume nothing is happening with the update.

I keep my eyes open for news... I even tried to shake up an old contact of mine in Verizon....only to find that person has moved on to other places. (I haven't talked to them in a couple of years...) I have called VZW three times, and my local store twice.... different answers every time, so I know that the store and customer service reps know nothing as well.

Could things change today, or within the next 24 hours, or by the end of the week? Yes, of course it can... I am keeping my eyes open for any kind of official news regarding the update.

I understand everyone's frustration... some news, from some official source, would be welcome... But there isn't even that right now.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
here is the article

Verizon to Try Again: 2.1 Update Coming This Week?

On 03.23.10, In News, by Kellex (online)

Normally when you get tipped off to update rumors, you tend to turn the other way as to not get too excited over something that is likely about 5% true, but when you get it from multiple people in just a short amount of time, you start diggin’ deeper.
So this is what we’ve got…

• As we all know now, last week’s set of 1,000 test updates did not go so well, but we’re hearing now that it was worse than originally thought. In fact, our source claims that almost 75% of those sent out actually bricked the phones. Also, the reason that none of us actually know anyone in that test group, was simply because they tested it on VZW employees only.
  • This week, all signs point to Big Red attacking again with another 1,000 updates starting Wednesday (3/24). If all goes well, they will roll out the 200,000 per day batches on Friday and for the next few days after until finished.
  • And while everyone is usually pretty quick to dismiss Moto or VZW reps, here is a little added confirmation we received from Motorola this morning:
Kell B: Hey Leandro! Just wondering if I’ll be receiving the Android 2.1 update on my Droid this Wednesday or Friday?
Leandro P.: Let me help you with this
Leandro P.: The Android 2.1 upgrade for Droid by Motorola is being deployed to a small number of Verizon Wireless test users. It is expected that the broader phased rollout to all Droid users will begin shortly thereafter. But we do not know when you will be receiving the update.
Kell B: So this Wednesday it will go out to a small number?
Leandro P.: Yes, it will not be sent to all of the users at once.
Kell B: Thats good to know. I hope this test goes better than last week’s!
Leandro P.: We all hope so.
So does this mean we let Bitfone off the hook now? If it’s bricking phones, does that mean they are attempting to mess with the bootloader which would mean no more rooting? Interesting stuff for sure.
Everyone cross their fingers that Wednesday’s batch goes as planned and we should be swimming in 2.1 by this weekend or early next week. Or as Leandro so eloquently put it, “We all hope so.”

rkeller62

Reaction score
If 75% of the 1,000 phones actually 'bricked' I find it hard to believe, though not impossible, that Verizon would not have found an issue with the software during regression testing. One of the big things checked in regression testing a software update is the install process. Isn't it possible that the update file was corrupted during the OTA software download? If so, then the blame falls again on Bitphone's shoulders.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If 75% of the 1,000 phones actually 'bricked' I find it hard to believe, though not impossible, that Verizon would not have found an issue with the software during regression testing. One of the big things checked in regression testing a software update is the install process. Isn't it possible that the update file was corrupted during the OTA software download? If so, then the blame falls again on Bitphone's shoulders.

It can happen; there are just too many hands touching it. Google<Motorola<Verizon<Bitphone. With all the security leaks it is possible that their is a security problem with the software. Time will tell.

FireDroid

Reaction score
It's just like groundhog day the movie!!

I wake up hit snooze look on here and oh 2.1 is coming aaaannnnnnndddddd now it's delayed! lol

Man my countdown timer is getting a workout!!

Whats the saying, 4th times a charm??? lol

TimChgo9

Reaction score

Perhaps that is the issue they are trying to correct? It rolled out to 1000 people last week... VZW employees, allegedly, so they could see if there are any issues. As soon as the issue cropped up, they held up the rollout to look at the problem, that's what I think, anyway. Maybe corrections have been made, Motorola is trying again. I would think it's possible for the OTA download to get corrupted. If I can download wirelessly on my laptop and wind up with a corrupted from the internet, then I would imagine there is a chance that an OTA update can have the same problem, however small the odds are...

The Droid is a huge investment for both Motorola, and VZW... they aren't going to sit idly by and not have this update move out. They can't, the bad publicity right now, is enough to cause some headaches over there I would imagine. it has been reflected in this thread earlier.. .there is too much at stake for both companies for this update not to work. I am sure the folks responsible for this OS update are feeling the heat and the pressure to get all of the issues corrected, and the update rolled out.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I dont see why they are making an announcement in the first place. if all they are going to do is test it out anyway. Why not make an announcement when its actually ready?
Cause if they are making another announcement, first thing you think about is..is this the real deal? Is this the actual update? or are we going to be delayed again?. I think they should just wait..till its going to be pushed as the actual one, then announce it.
I am not rooted..so i am waiting and have been waiting patiently..but damn..enough is enough.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They are announcing they are planning on releasing but they have to do it a certain way. If they have problems again, they can nip it in the bud. They will get it right. One of these times. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.