2.1 coming in a couple of days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sc4fpse

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Wow, what a let down. I thought either this was going to be a thread with a link to verify we were getting 2.1 in the next couple of days. Either that or it was another "A Verizon rep told me" thread. It didn't turn out to be either. I don't even get the pleasure of flaming the OP.:closed_2:

Geez, what crawled up your 3.5mm jack?

Nothing, it was suppose to be tongue in cheek. You know like funny.

Not everyone gets my sense of humor.:icon_ devil:
lol, alright then. I thought I detected a hint of humor in there, but rather than make myself look like an idiot, I opted for the more humorous response. ;)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
if this is the case will there be an offical rom for us that are rotted and already running it?? or do i need to go back to 2.0.1 unrooted?

I think to be extra safe nothing will conflict it would be safer to revert to unrooted 2.0.1 for the 2.1 update.
thats hillarious. im newb to this android stuff took me all day to root and put 2.1 and 2 days later i have to change it all back. ahahah oh well. more learnig to come my way then. off to find out how to do this

Lol it's alright I think a lot of us are still learning (like me), I don't think you have to worry as it might take some time for the update to get to us. But from what I've read so far in tutorials unrooting the phone doesn't seem too difficult.

and +1 for hoping there is an early manual update available!!

Tabs

Reaction score
i'm not so sure that means it's coming in a couple of days, it will be open source in a few days. After that it may be coming to android phones. I wouldnt expect it for a little while yet. we will get it, but not sure when.

That's my thought too. Sounds like they are releasing it as open source in a few days and then the developers will take advantage of that. Doesn't mean we'll get the update soon. So however long it takes Motorola to optimize it for the DROID and then for VZW to release 2.1 for our units is their call to release it.

Motorola doesn't have anything to do with it I'm pretty sure. What we installed back for 2.0.1 (for those who manually updated) was right off the Google servers and was a "vanilla" OS, not something specifically for the Droid. Droid is a Google Experience phone, that means no messing around with the OS by Verizon or Motorola.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I think to be extra safe nothing will conflict it would be safer to revert to unrooted 2.0.1 for the 2.1 update.
thats hillarious. im newb to this android stuff took me all day to root and put 2.1 and 2 days later i have to change it all back. ahahah oh well. more learnig to come my way then. off to find out how to do this

Lol it's alright I think a lot of us are still learning (like me), I don't think you have to worry as it might take some time for the update to get to us. But from what I've read so far in tutorials unrooting the phone doesn't seem too difficult.

Thats nice to know I personally am trying to stop myself from trying to root my phone etc until the hype around anndroid dies down a bit. 2.0 2.0.1 then 2.1 lol would suck to root etc then it be liek oh yea 3.0!

chuk1005

Reaction score

Thats nice to know I personally am trying to stop myself from trying to root my phone etc until the hype around anndroid dies down a bit. 2.0 2.0.1 then 2.1 lol would suck to root etc then it be liek oh yea 3.0!

Even with root you will be able to update, just not OTA.

REMilk

Reaction score
:greendroid: :heart:

I received the following via email @ 3:04 pm ET today announcing the 2.1 for Droid!

"It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon."

Echo3

Reaction score
:greendroid: :heart:

I received the following via email @ 3:04 pm ET today announcing the 2.1 for Droid!

"It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon."

FTW! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

justbob

Reaction score
You'll notice that email came from "[email protected]" and not Verizon.

Not exactly what I would classify as an official announcement. :wacko:

Tim K

Reaction score
Yeah, I am fairly certain that any "official announcement" wouldn't refer to Android Market as the "App store".....

Mike S.

Reaction score
So what features will be on 2.1 vs. 2.0.1?

Can we get a list going?

Are we getting really excited over nothing?

Big Cam

Reaction score
Ya, I want to know if with 2.1 you cna voice dial over bluetooth, this was one ridiculous flaw of the droid before.

FireDroid

Reaction score
Should you be rooting your phone if you dont know wether you can update it or not??? I see so many people on here asking simple questions atcched with "my phone is rooted"! If you dont know the basics then you shouldnt root your phone! It's almost like that is the hip thing to do or something wether you know what your doing or not!!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
You probably still can't voicedial over bluetooth. The majority of improvements are UI related. New gallery, new dock clock, new music, new homescreen launcher, probably some speed improvements, those kinda things. I'm sure there are other fixes in the background, maybe some new options/settings somewhere, not sure. It could also have some kind of code in it that brings us closer to flash. We'll see when it gets here I suppose...

Status
Not open for further replies.