2.1 coming in a couple of days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo3

Reaction score
From the live feed, it looks like Moto's rep is shying away from future OS updates (aside from 2.1):

[MOTO]: We have the intention to upgrade every device to the best version of the software that that hardware can run. Android 2.1 has very 3D-intensive software, not every device can run that. To the extent that it can, we will support it. All the APIs are kept consistent so all Android Market apps will work. Being 100% backward compatible stifles and slows development.

That actually sounds better than I thought. They're willing to keep their devices up to date as long as the hardware on the device can support it, which makes sense.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a let down. I thought either this was going to be a thread with a link to verify we were getting 2.1 in the next couple of days. Either that or it was another "A Verizon rep told me" thread. It didn't turn out to be either. I don't even get the pleasure of flaming the OP.:closed_2:

Geez, what crawled up your 3.5mm jack?

Nothing, it was suppose to be tongue in cheek. You know like funny.

Not everyone gets my sense of humor.:icon_ devil:

Hypnotic

Reaction score
Oh well I'll still hope for an early release.

That's doubtful. To me, "early release" would mean Jan 22. Otherwise I wouldn't expect to see it until Feb sometime. Proper QA takes time.
I would still expect a 2.1 release for Jan 22nd if it does not release early. The reason for thinking this way is that it seems to run well right now on the droid when rooted, but I could be completely wrong.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
From the live feed, it looks like Moto's rep is shying away from future OS updates (aside from 2.1):

[MOTO]: We have the intention to upgrade every device to the best version of the software that that hardware can run. Android 2.1 has very 3D-intensive software, not every device can run that. To the extent that it can, we will support it. All the APIs are kept consistent so all Android Market apps will work. Being 100% backward compatible stifles and slows development.

That actually sounds better than I thought. They're willing to keep their devices up to date as long as the hardware on the device can support it, which makes sense.
Yep, that would be dumb to keep upgrading EVERY device even if it can't handle the new OS and runs like ass LOL

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
yah the bottom line is WE WILL BE GETTTING IT, but there is no date on when that will be. Who knows though Jan 22 might still be valid.
I'm fairly certain that before the Droid was even released Google had an optimized version of 2.1 running on it already.

Now it's just a matter of when they will release it. I do think it will be as soon as the 10th and no later than the 22nd.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh well I'll still hope for an early release.

That's doubtful. To me, "early release" would mean Jan 22. Otherwise I wouldn't expect to see it until Feb sometime. Proper QA takes time.
I would still expect a 2.1 release for Jan 22nd if it does not release early. The reason for thinking this way is that it seems to run well right now on the droid when rooted, but I could be completely wrong.

If it goes at all like 2.0.1 we will start seeing some people get it about 7 days before, with the masses getting it as we approach 1/22. The 12/11 rumored date was as close as you could get to be right on the money.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Judging from the fact alone that the ported launcher and gallery can work on our hardware, there is no reason we wouldn't get 2.1. The hardware requirements are not that different IMO.

Bad news though, my feeling that those looking to get good BT hands free, may not be in 2.1. I believe moto would need more time to take that and port it to android, but I could be wrong...

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Judging from the fact alone that the ported launcher and gallery can work on our hardware, there is no reason we wouldn't get 2.1. The hardware requirements are not that different IMO.

Bad news though, my feeling that those looking to get good BT hands free, may not be in 2.1. I believe moto would need more time to take that and port it to android, but I could be wrong...

first, we are definitely getting 2.1
second, no BT handsfree, that's a huge feature they would've showcased. IMHO shame on google for leaving this disabled/out...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first, we are definitely getting 2.1
second, no BT handsfree, that's a huge feature they would've showcased. IMHO shame on google for leaving this disabled/out...

I tend to agree since every dumb phone in the world can do this.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if this is the case will there be an offical rom for us that are rotted and already running it?? or do i need to go back to 2.0.1 unrooted?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
if this is the case will there be an offical rom for us that are rotted and already running it?? or do i need to go back to 2.0.1 unrooted?

I think to be extra safe nothing will conflict it would be safer to revert to unrooted 2.0.1 for the 2.1 update.

korp

Reaction score
Know what I am most excited for? 5 home screens with no home screen alternative .... cya dxTop, pandahome, launcher+, home++, and home switcher!

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I think to be extra safe nothing will conflict it would be safer to revert to unrooted 2.0.1 for the 2.1 update.
thats hillarious. im newb to this android stuff took me all day to root and put 2.1 and 2 days later i have to change it all back. ahahah oh well. more learnig to come my way then. off to find out how to do this

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
im hoping for another early manual update, that was quick and simple

couldn't agree more.

I always tell myself I can wait, but with the last update as soon as that manual update was up, I updated. I want 2.1 now knowing that we could get it "Within a couple of days". I definitely didn't feel like this last week.:icon_ banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.