2.1 Apps on 2.0.1. Why??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Canefan, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Canefan

Canefan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Am I missing something here? Why is there so much effort being spent to get the 2.1 apps working on 2.0.1 builds? Just go ahead and install 2.1. My copy is perfectly stable and smooth (as long as you don't use the live wallpapers) and has far more functionality than 2.0.1. The Gallery app does not work the same on 2.0.1 as it does on 2.1. The gallery alone with the sync to Picasa is worth the switch all by itself.

Here is my argument for installing 2.1: The procedure for rooting and installing 2.1 has gotten very simple and is well documented. The procedure for going back to 2.0.1 is also simple and well documented for when the official 2.1 release comes out. Might I add that a January release of 2.1 OTA is purely rumor and speculation. It might be much later than that. Just do it!

2. Dark-V

Dark-V Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed multiple fresh copies of 2.1 on my Droid and none of which have had stable Exchange email. Every time I attempt to open an email it just force closes. The main reason for my switch to 2.1 was the 5 screens and weather widget. Now I can have them all on 2.0.1. Animated backgrounds were cool at first, but the unstability was just annoying.

3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Cane,

For me, while many have reported like you that their flavor of 2.1 was stable, I could find as many if not more issues that folks were having that were big issues for me.

You also have the larger problem of not all apps working properly. Some of us only have a dozen or so apps that we really have to have working. Some here "need" hundreds working. The developers of the apps themselves in general have to get caught up to 2.1, so there is no way, imho to say that there is no downside to 2.1 Because the heart of the phone is user customization, and each user has to make the decision based on his/her level of what they have customized, and what the need/want working. Stable with the android is a very fluid situation.

Craig

4. gentlefury

gentlefury Member

Ratings:
    +0
    to try out the new apps on a stable approved OS....also to keep from voiding the warranty on your phone and potentially bricking it. Really dumb question honestly/

5. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a perfectly stable version of 2.1 running on my Droid but still went for the 2.01 with the 2.1 apps bundled, because:

1. Screen lock bug in 2.1
    2. 2.01 is faster than 2.1. Even though 2.1 was really stable for me, 2.01 is faster. After all, it was designed for the Droid.
    3. Keyboard back light, which can only be fixed by keeping the screen at full brightness

6. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, 2.1 apps on 2.0.1 do not require rooting the phone. Rooting is a deal breaker for some.

7. Brian7

Brian7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    in case you guys aren't aware....google announced today that the 2.1 source will be officially released by them in the next couple of days so this whole controversy is for nothing:icon_ banana:

8. NoKz

NoKz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had 2.1 installed and it worked fine for me. However, the backlight issue was annoying. It ran a little slow on 2.0, but I was in no rush to have it. I went back to 2.0.1 with 2.1 apps because it runs so smoothly and doesn't affect my daily use.

Both work well, but right now I have more faith in the 2.0.1 image and will continue using it until 2.1 fixes some of the current bugs.

9. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Brian,

While I hope that the OTA update for the droid comes shortly, I'm not holding my breath. I'd imagine we'll see the update sometime around the 22nd anyways.

That said,
    @Cane
    2.1 is anything but stable. While it may not FC every 5 minutes like some other builds, the build is very buggy, especially with corporate email and driver issues. The keyboard backlight bug is the reason why I don't use it, as that just bugs the crap out of me. Just because something is easier doesn't mean its better. As they're both running the Eclair platform running the apps is essentially the same as updating to 2.1 while retaining hardware compatibility.

Cheers!
    Randomocity

10. NoKz

NoKz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had 2.1 installed and it worked fine for me. However, the backlight issue was annoying. It ran a little slow on 2.0, but I was in no rush to have it. I went back to 2.0.1 with 2.1 apps because it runs so smoothly and doesn't affect my daily use.

Both work well, but right now I have more faith in the 2.0.1 image and will continue using it until 2.1 fixes some of the current bugs.