2.1 and Android Camera

LakeMountD

Reaction score
Just curious if they made any updates for the camera for the droid? I actually love the camera, but one thing that drives me INSANE is how long the damn thing takes to load up and how long it takes to actually take the picture, it is so laggy!!!

OP
L

LakeMountD

Reaction score
The autofocus was definitely fixed but the camera is still slow as hell with starting up and navigating around.

Psychokitty

Reaction score
ScooberJake said:
Seems about as slow as the average P&S to me. It's not and never will be an SLR.
Sounds like you're a digital SLR owner, as they tend to look down their noses at P&S cameras. ;) The fact is, there is no "average" P&S anymore. Some of them are lightening quick for dirt cheap.
The Droids hardware is capable of much better performance than we're getting. -Not "lightening quick P&S" performance mind you, but far better than what it is now. I have a wide variety of cameras, and even some of my simple surveillance cams can take higher quality photos with faster response times at lower resolutions than the Droids current software allows it to.

OP
L

LakeMountD

Reaction score
ScooberJake said:
Seems about as slow as the average P&S to me. It's not and never will be an SLR.
Sounds like you're a digital SLR owner, as they tend to look down their noses at P&S cameras. ;) The fact is, there is no "average" P&S anymore. Some of them are lightening quick for dirt cheap.
The Droids hardware is capable of much better performance than we're getting. -Not "lightening quick P&S" performance mind you, but far better than what it is now. I have a wide variety of cameras, and even some of my simple surveillance cams can take higher quality photos with faster response times at lower resolutions than the Droids current software allows it to.

Yeah that is sort of what I was getting at. I am not one of those droid complainers that wants the droid to be a 24 mp camera + high def camera + warp drive, but you are absolutely right, it is capable of more. I am not really concerned about the hardware, it is the software that is frustrating me. It is very laggy and slow and I can never seem to get it out and get spontaneous pictures in a reasonable amount of time.

Reaction score
i think it comes down to this..............

if you have small children this camera BLOWS.................

if you dont its reasonable for a camera phone

EOM..........

Psychokitty

Reaction score
It's too bad. A 3.2 MP that takes fantastic shots is very doable, and for smart folks that are into this particular smart phone, the 5MP braggin' rights aren't worth a damned. But this is what happens when it's called an "iPhone killer" even before it's released.

...Anyone know where we can get specsw on the actual camera hardware? Is the 5MP 'real', or interpolated?

mjs31

Reaction score
Sorry folks, I have a DSLR yes, but will also say that this camera is very slow compared to other phones. I am not talking about comparing it to my DSLR, but I can take a photo with my wifes Tour or my Daughters IPhone and it is much quicker to get up and ready for another shot. Besides, this camera bites in low light compared to other cameras. Don't get me wrong...I love my Droid, but for Motorola to brag about a 5mp (Droid does) camera and then have this....not very smart.

Psychokitty

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong...I love my Droid, but for Motorola to brag about a 5mp (Droid does) camera and then have this....not very smart.
Very true. It has me wondering...
P&S cameras have gotten faster due to better processors and system ROM (I believe). I think the Droid's camera is very capable of good performance. Perhaps the image file is taking too long to be written to the SD card?
My speculations are getting beyond my scope of this stuff, but hopefully I'll state something that's technically false. That's usually when people will bother lending their expertise. ;)

ScooberJake

Reaction score
ScooberJake said:

Actually didn't mean to denigrate P&S cameras or their owners. I do have a DSLR, but I've been really lusting over the G10 lately, and that may be my next photo gear purchase.

My Droid camera is ready to shoot about 3 seconds after I launch it. The combined autofocus/shutter lag is about the same. Admittedly I haven't used a P&S in a couple years, but those are about what I would expect. The fact that my phone is on par with a piece of electronics designed explicitly to take photos is good enough for me.

My point is that you cannot expect 50ms shutter lag out of a phone when no P&S will even do that (or not one that I know of).

ss13

Reaction score
thanks for the tip to lower the quality. never thought of that.