2 1/2 weeks after Bionic Build 5.9.901 ------- How's it working for you????

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that bluetooth was a killer on 901. Not sure why. I don't use it except car phone and it's plugged in so I can't say. My battery life is some better. But not much. 3G all the time, rarely on wifi. Stock for now. Data and camera are much better. Also phone calls are me solid. I get a useable signal in places I couldn't before.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I haven't had a problem with Bluetooth. I have WiFi off, but mainly because I don't have it at home. If I did it would be on.

Even so, with the extended battery, .901 and Juice Defender I can easily have 68% after 12 hours. That includes Live Wallpaper, 4G and the System app set to monitor.

pkjeeps

Reaction score
Well after the pain and bricking to get to 901....twice..second time with root..I have no camera app and can't install the also one from another rom..I have it now only cause I am running kin3tx. I really wanted the supposed new camera..but im not redoing everything just to try to get it. As for battery,I don't know because I stay plugged in most of the day. The first day I got it it seemed 4g was better...but I toggled airplane at least 5wanted times today...it hasn't seemed much better..and that sux....what really sux is that just 3g doesn't hold much better..I never ever lost data with my og DROID.

scarrz

Reaction score
I agree this build has not dropped data since install. Also my battery lasts for 15-20 hours with 4g enabled all day with moderate use. Very glad i grabbed this.

DeSoto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I've been thrilled with mine. No data drops and I live in a fringe area back and forth between 3g & 4g
The battery life has been a noticeable and nice improvement
If this phone had been this solid from day one I never would have been here looking for answers

Rooted

Disneyman

Reaction score
Where did you get the update.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the update.

You can get it from DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life on the mirror site.

After that, this is what I did...

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

wooddale

Reaction score
You can get it from DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life on the mirror site.

After that, this is what I did...

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)
I down loaded the file with my phone I can just skip.all the computer stuff and go into stock recovery. I made a backup of stock 893 foreveroot. Should work wright kinda like avoiding the middle man downloading to phone.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I down loaded the file with my phone I can just skip.all the computer stuff and go into stock recovery. I made a backup of stock 893 foreveroot. Should work wright kinda like avoiding the middle man downloading to phone.

Yes, but some have had problems downloading it straight to the phone. Besides, it's like Catch-22; you need a good data connection in order to get an update to improve your bad data connection. :blink:

As I said, this is what I did. YMMV

Last edited:

Jiazuc

Reaction score
GPS is pretty inaccurate since I updated. Closest I've got on Google Maps is within 500 meters, usually 1200 meters.
Anyone else have a similar problem?

gsDroid

Reaction score
GPS is pretty inaccurate since I updated. Closest I've got on Google Maps is within 500 meters, usually 1200 meters.
Anyone else have a similar problem?
Download the free GPS Status. Turn on your gps, data, and wifi. Go outside and calibrate the phone via the instructions in GPS Status after getting your satellite locks. After doing this, Maps showed my location to 18 feet precision.

Jiazuc

Reaction score
Download the free GPS Status. Turn on your gps, data, and wifi. Go outside and calibrate the phone via the instructions in GPS Status after getting your satellite locks. After doing this, Maps showed my location to 18 feet precision.

Looks like that worked, at 20 meters. Thanks!

Reaction score
I have had my bionic for a week now, Saturday will be 2 weeks. I haven't had a single problem with it other than waiting 2 days for the Market place to update when i first got it. Other than that I haven't had a single problem with this phone (as I have already stated).

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Are you on build 901?

phatkat66

Reaction score
For some reason after going to 901 data for me isnt stabalizing. Its not turning blue, or voice signal actually. Anyone know of the reason or a fix for this? the data WORKS and voice but the signal on top is always white.