2.0.1 to LibGB question

goodwidp

Reaction score
I know there are tons of these threads around and, while I did search, I was unable to find any answer to this particular question. Assuming I purchase the donate version of Lib. toolbox and use that method to upgrade to GB, would I ever be able to flash another rom or simply remove LibGB? I'm not saying I would definitely do this, but I would like the option as I'm a bit curious to see what GB is like on it's own compared to Froyo.

Also, is there a thread (or would someone be kind enough to write up some basic instructions) on exactly what steps I would need to take to get from my current state (Lib 2.0.1) to LibGB (or just GB with root) using the donate version of Lib. toolbox? I've read the threads that discuss the topic but I'm still a bit confused as to whether or not I still would need to sbf back to stock froyo and root it before jumping to GB if I was using the toolbox. Thank you.

Rezael

Reaction score
The current preferred method to get to liberty gb from froyo is to sbf back to a clean install of froyo. Root and bootstrap (using droid 2 bootstrapper).Then download and flash the 2 part gb root files. (Here you can stay it'll be base gingerbread) then download the liberty toolbox donate and then there from the nightlies section get lib gb v.7 and flash that. It took me 10 mins last night to sbf my girls phone and put lib gb on it and theme it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
The toolbox does not offer a direct upgrade path from 2.0.1 (to GB) at this time. We are referring people to the thread below as a resource for them to prep their phone for Liberty GB.

Download: Official DROIDX Gingerbread 4.5.596 for Rooted Users - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Follow the directions on that page and you'll be able to try out Motorola's Blur Gingerbread with root. Make a backup of that. Afterwards, you can try out any of the various roms, including Liberty, and still have a restore point to go back to the stock, rooted OTA if you so choose.

Also, if you are on Gingerbread, you'll need to use the DX Bootstrap w/ USB Debugging off. If you want to leave USB Debugging on, you can download a bootstrap I compiled from Koush's D2Bootstrap source.

http://bit.ly/lgbootstrap

Last edited:
OP
goodwidp

goodwidp

Reaction score
Thanks very much to both of you for the responses. That was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Should I do a backup of application data with My Backup Pro prior to all of this? Also, am I correct in assuming that I will need to have Clockwork Recovery installed on my phone to do this or can I just use the D2Bootsrap mentioned above? Thanks again for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
Thanks very much to both of you for the responses. That was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Should I do a backup of application data with My Backup Pro prior to all of this? Also, am I correct in assuming that I will need to have Clockwork Recovery installed on my phone to do this or can I just use the D2Bootsrap mentioned above? Thanks again for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

This all depends on what you are running on your phone right now. What are you running?

OP
goodwidp

goodwidp

Reaction score

This all depends on what you are running on your phone right now. What are you running?

I am currently on liberty 2.0.1 ( I'm hoping I understood the question, otherwise my apologies)
Thanks again for the reply!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

meaker

Reaction score
Also, if you are on Gingerbread, you'll need to use the DX Bootstrap w/ USB Debugging off. If you want to leave USB Debugging on, you can download a bootstrap I compiled from Koush's D2Bootstrap source.

Quick question about this.. I was told to use D2 Bootstrap. But are you saying after the installing GB, all ROM and theme I should be using DX Boot or your modified version of K's D2 boot? If so may I ask what this does or help?

zer0ed77

Reaction score
I really am hoping the onslaught of customers with this issue will convince to the restoration of the upgrade path in the Liberty Toolbox.

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com

I am currently on liberty 2.0.1 ( I'm hoping I understood the question, otherwise my apologies)

Than yes, you want to follow my link to the Droid Life article and follow the Froyo instructions to get yourself to GB.

Quick question about this.. I was told to use D2 Bootstrap. But are you saying after the installing GB, all ROM and theme I should be using DX Boot or your modified version of K's D2 boot? If so may I ask what this does or help?

When on GB, the DX Bootstrap will not function correctly (in most cases) if you have USB Debugging enabled. The D2 version of the bootstrap does not have this issue on GB which is why it's suggested. My 'modified' version is literally just me adding a liberty logo to the background. I haven't touched the code. I just compiled and made it available for people.

I really am hoping the onslaught of customers with this issue will convince to the restoration of the upgrade path in the Liberty Toolbox.

We'd prefer not to put people on the leaks anymore so we're still investigating a single zip method to get people to the OTA from 2.0.1 or older versions of Liberty.

zer0ed77

Reaction score

Than yes, you want to follow my link to the Droid Life article and follow the Froyo instructions to get yourself to GB.

When on GB, the DX Bootstrap will not function correctly (in most cases) if you have USB Debugging enabled. The D2 version of the bootstrap does not have this issue on GB which is why it's suggested. My 'modified' version is literally just me adding a liberty logo to the background. I haven't touched the code. I just compiled and made it available for people.

We'd prefer not to put people on the leaks anymore so we're still investigating a single zip method to get people to the OTA from 2.0.1 or older versions of Liberty.

Excellent, sir. Thank you, very much. Thanks for taking your time to respond.

OP
goodwidp

goodwidp

Reaction score
I finally made the move last night to upgrade to GB and it was a relatively painless process, which is entirely due to the help I received here. It did bootloop at one point at the end of the sbf process but I was able to easily resolve that and now it's working perfectly. I am really impressed with the new looks and features GB has brought so far and cant wait to try out different ROMS like LibGB and CM7.
One more question: Not that I am on GB with root, should I make a Nandroid backup before I load any ROMS so that I can always come back to this point rather than have to keep formatting every time i want to try a new ROM? Thanks again for everything. This thread (and forum in general) has been a tremendous resource for getting the very most out of my Droid X. Thanks again!