2.0.1 Rooted, Overclocked 800Mhz. Oh so close!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sodner, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Sodner

Sodner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

My first "new thread" and its for HELP!

Using instructions from the "ROOT YOUR DROID" site, which is excellent for nOObs like me, I got my phone rooted. Afterwords, i installed the one LEDS hack I wanted, then installed SetCPU to find out that 550 was all it would go.

Then using instructions from the same forum I did all my reading on Overclocking the droid. Did the Android Debug Bridge and installed SPRecovery and did my "Custom Recovery Image" and followed the Overclocking your Droid instructions to a "T". Reboot and NO GOOD.

Constant reboots about 30/45 seconds after the thing boots up. Does the overclocking work on 2.0.1?? If thats not it, any ideas?

I did of course do a restore and I'm back functional but 2 hours of work lost.

2. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Sodner

Sodner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well honestly I wanted to get my feet wet playing with this stuff and thought that sticking with 2.0.1 and overclocking would be, for me, the way to go for now. I like 2.0.1 and with the 2.1 apps have no real problems. I use a small Home add on that gives me 5 pages so really I'm happy. I just wanted it to be faster.

Should I try it again??

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was in a similar boat. I wanted to wade in slowly - swapping out just the parts I wanted to change. Problem is, nobody is making just kernels anymore. kernels are being wrapped up in ROMs. The kernels that exist alone kinda suck (the overclock-only kernels are based on 2.0.0 and are buggy, the wifi-tether kernels have a bug where automatic brightness no longer works).

You can try to extract a kernel out of a ROM (make sure to get the modules as well). It's a pain and the rom developers aren't very helpful with that. I say bite the bullet and try out a rom, see if you like it. It's too bad bugless beast doesn't have the option to not change the theme. Sholes mod does, but sholes is still pretty buggy and causes random reboots.

EDIT TO ADD: To clarify - the way to get overclocking is to replace the kernel with one that is hacked to allow higher speeds. The problem with non-stock kernels is that they introduce new bugs because they aren't *exactly* the same as the stock kernel. You have to kind of pick and choose to find a non-stock kernel that gives you the features you want without breaking things.

EDIT TO ADD MORE: Also - flashing a kernel is a PITA. To do it, you have to reboot into recovery, connect via ADB and run flash_image. You can't do it from the phone. Installing a new ROM, however, includes the flashing in a step that happens automatically, so you CAN do that from the phone without ADB.

5. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
  6. Sodner

Sodner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WOOT!!!! I DID IT!!!! Rooted and Overclocked!!

Used the Alldroid "Evilboot950m.img" this time with SetCPU not already installed and this time it worked. Now I'm zipping along at 950Mhz!

I just love this phone!!!!!!