1st time trying this and have messed up- Help please

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Boxxer20, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Boxxer20

Boxxer20 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. So I sucessfully rooted my phone and I then attempted to flash a custom ROM following the instructions in this link How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your Android Phone (After Any One Click Root Methods) | TheUnlockr.

The problem is that I have the Droid (D1) and while the instructions worked the same as my phone I think that something is different. So my question is how do I "undo" this?

Thanks in advance for the help :) and sorry to be such a newb.

Boxxer20

2. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    what happened when you tried to flash the ROM?? what do you want to "undo" - undo the rom you flashed??

i guess what i need is more detailed info of exactly what you did, and what you tried to flash. then we can figure out how to get you up and running. :)

3. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    +1 ^^^ this. We need to know exactly where is failed and what message you got when it did so.

4. Boxxer20

Boxxer20 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I power the phone on and then I get the white M as for a few seconds. Then it tries to boot up, I get the word "android" in blue and a white highlight scrolls across the blue so it appears that it is going to boot up. Howeer, after the white goes across a couple of times it gets hung up partway across and then the white starts scrolling over at the beginning. It never gets past this screen and never fully boots up.

I would prefer to get back to the original ROM or a different ROM where I can use the phone. I would also be fine with going all of the way back to a stock phone as i can always root it again.

Thanks again and let me know if you need more info.

Boxxer20

5. huskerkate

Ratings:
    +10
    what rom did you try to install??

you have just had your first taste of everyone's favorite cereal - boot loops! :) don't worry, it has happened to everyone. it sounds like you have a corrupt dl of the rom (which also happens to everyone). re-download the rom onto your pc, or dl a different rom to your pc, and then copy it to your phone. then reflash the rom (or the new rom) in recovery.

to get the re-dl'd rom onto your phone when it won't boot up, here is what you do. pull the battery, then put it back in. do a hard boot into recovery (hold the 'x' key and press power; when the screen lights up, release the power button but keep pressing the x key until your recovery screen pops up). i'm assuming you have ClockworkMod as your recovery?? if so, once the recovery screen pops up, toggle down to the "partitions menu" and select. in the next screen, select "mount USB storage." now you can transfer your rom zip files from your pc to your phone's sdcard. remember to put the rom zip files on the root of your sdcard, and not in any folders.

once the rom files have been copied to your sdcard, select "unmount", then press the power button once to toggle back to the main screen. at that point, you can follow the procedure of installing the rom. i would copy a couple of different rom zips to your sdcard, just in case you don't get a successful install - you have several to chose from.

6. Boxxer20

Boxxer20 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. huskerkate

Ratings:
    +10
    after you rooted, did you flash a recovery image (either flash SPRecovery, or install Rom Mgr app and flash ClockworkMod)??

and, is your battery fully charged (or at least at 60%)?

8. Boxxer20

Boxxer20 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did install the free version of Clockworkmod as it said to in the video around 2:30 in the link from my 1st post and the battery is pretty charged but I will get it to a full charge on it.

BTW...thanks again for you time and help.

9. huskerkate

Ratings:
    +10
    try to reboot into recovery again (hold x plus power). do you get the same triangle w/ exclamation?? is there a message there?

CWM can be a little finicky sometimes. if you can't get it to boot into recovery, you may need to flash SPRecovery - it's very reliable. here is a thread with how to flash SPR using RSDlite: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

since you're already rooted, you may not need to implement the steps for rooting. once you get SPR flashed, try to boot into recovery again. hopefully that will work, and you can get your roms onto your sdcard and install them. (if this doesn't work, you may try following the other steps for rooting - those "one click" methods for rooting aren't completely reliable.) if you are successful, once you install the rom, boot up, and activate your phone, you can go into Rom Mgr and flash back to CWM. but, it's always good to have an alternate recovery.

if for some reason you can't get SPR to flash and boot into recovery, you may have to just flash a sbf file and start over. here is a thread for the process, including links for the .sbf files: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

while you're trying to get SPR flashed, i'm going to ask for this thread to be moved to the Rescue Squad so we can get some more eyes (and more knowledgeable eyes) on this. they might have some alternate/better ideas.

10. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    @ Boxxer20: Real quick (mainly for the readers who come later) you did not "install the free version of Clockworkmod" but the free version of rom manager, yes I am a stickler for the details as deviating from them can quickly confuse the newbs.

If your phone will boot normally, then go ahead and open rom manager and then near the botton select 'flash alternate recovery', then once it is done go back to the top and flash clockworkmod. If the latter does not complete within a few seconds, do it again until it does. Then try using the reboot into recovery option in rom manager. If you still see the stock recoery system "get is a white triangle with a yellow exclaimation point in it and a phone next to it" then pull your battery and then put it back in and try everything above again.

Finally, I have read many times that the rom you are trying will give people a bowl of the 'boot loop' cereal as it (for some reason) uses as stock a ultra low voltage kernel which will not run favorably on ALL phones.

Why not try the latest CyanogenMod as your first rom. Hardly anyone has a problem with that one.

good luck