1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

1st 10 Posters - SS 5.2 Test Drive

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Based on CM7 RC2 which is 2.3.3 - code pulled/built just this morning :) Also includes gapps, just updated on 3/7/11.

This IS A BETA - and this post is for BETA TESTING. Only the first 10 responders will get a link.

Refer to the 5.1 bugs list to see what has been fixed.

Special thanks to mobile_sensei for the new background :)

As you can see from the list below - a LOT has been added - I have worked very hard on this release!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

MOST IMPORTANT - READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!!! If you have ANY issues, ie. maps not locating, market crashing, etc - RUN FIX PERMISSIONS from tools (this runs the RM version now). This will clear up many issues!!

If you are coming from 5.1 - no wipe, just install - if from any other ROM or even mine previous to 5.1 (including Froyo) you can attempt an install with no wipe - but if you have ANY issues that seem to be odd - WIPE! IF you currently have a broken home key - installing without a wipe will not help you. However - you can wipe, and restore your LAST GOOD backup.

I will say AGAIN - if you are coming straight from 5.01, or even 5.1 with restored data from 5.01 - WIPE and save us both some time. 5.01 had an installer issue that corrupted system data. So if your backup is from that version - it's no good.

Also - if you have any issues - READ THIS THREAD: Install Instructions

If you get stuck on the 'M' - first step is to reboot into recovery, then wipe cache (not just dalvik-cache, but CACHE). SOMETIMES this doesn't even work. A surefire way to ensure it is cleared is to enter these commands via adb shell:

umount /cache
    format CACHE:

Then reboot. If it still fails - try a different kernel.

If you get random reboots, not to the 'M', but right to the bootanimation (soft reboot) - run my task killer - this will clear a few things up and hopefully the problem as well.

If your market sticks on a download - a reboot should take care of it.

Also for rstapps - After restoring, it will now run fix_permissions before the reboot. I am HOPING this will fix some of the FC issues you have experienced after restoring. This will mean that rstapps will take considerably longer though, so be patient (read: go get a coffee or beer!)

And a further note - some of the apps are installed to /data - which means if you do a complete wipe, they WILL disappear. All of these apps can be downloaded from the market again, or you could just install the ROM again. They are:

Wifi-Tether
    USB-Tether
    Flash
    ChromeToPhone
    Google Voice
    Google Maps
    Street View
    Voice Search
    Quick Office
    Sony Ericsson Home Launcher ( only exclusion - cannot be found on Market

Known Issues

Longpress on camera makes it buzz many times but still functional ... camcorder will FC if you try to zoom while recording.

If you change the clock or carrier text in the statusbar/pulldown to a non-white color and try to switch it back - they will not change. A reboot will take care of it. ONLY for white though - very weird.

Changes

1. BT voice prompting again available - new toggle under 'scripts'. Will break DSP Manager (which in fact will be 'hidden' until toggled again) and will require a reboot.

2. Ability to turn off ALL LOGGING - that translates into raw speed! This of course means logcat will show nothing - but easily turned on via new checkbox under Tools/Options. By default, it is OFF. Also requires a reboot.

3. New speedo battery icons - I must give someone else credit for the design but am not sure who it was!

4. Customizable lockscreen colors! Customizable DeskClock colors! Item by Item :). Merged into new Tools Option - Colors

5. SS wallpapers added to choices (old droid and new SS)

6. Agressive task killer - parameters tweaked - feedback appreciated!

7. Problem with videos in MMS mode not saving - FIXED!

8. Newly built kernels using latest compiler - it FEELS faster to me but you be the judge!

9. You can now lock FIVE CUSTOM APPS of your choosing into memory - this in addition to HOME, MMS, and GMAIL :) Home is checked by default in settings, and ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 is also in build.prop (they both are the same/have the same effect).

10. Work continues on RSTAPPS and install - IF you had installed 5.1 and reset all apps/data manually - you should be able to just install 5.2 over top ...

11. New launcher for you to try out (in /data/app so can easily be uninstalled). It is the Arc Launcher from Sony Ericsson

12. Brightness bugs fixed!

13. Google Street View included

14. New option under Scripts/Other - Clear cache partition (excluding dalvik)

15. Faster 'flip' transitions - changeable via Settings->Display->Animation - default is 'Some'. 'All' is what you are used to up to now. 'None' will turn off flip transitions and menus will be very quick.

16. After non-wipe install, pulldown/statusbar may still reflect 5.1 - simply go into Tools, and select SS for Carrier Text to update to 5.2

17. By default - clocking set to 600mhz (I'm sure you'll agree it still flies - check out the quadrant screenshot!)

18. Everything zipaligned!

19. ChevyNo1Tools modification - if you use the 'back' button to exit - it will now completely remove the app from memory, giving you more to play with. If you use the 'Home' button, it will still remain in memory, the default behavior

20. OS has been modified to reduce system logging by 40% - less time logging = more time to perform tasks you ask for!

21. Ability to 'clear' Gtalk issues - under Scripts/Other (requires reboot)

22. New task killer - runs at boot, and can be run as a one-off, under Options. This task killer uses a preset list of tasks to kill, those are listed in /data/chevyno1/csm.lst. You can edit this on the phone using your own editor, or pull/push using ADB. At some point I will try to make this with a UI. As delivered, this is the contents:

# LOOP DELAY - Try LOOP times, sleep DELAY seconds between loops
    # So '20 3' means it will be active for 60 seconds - keep this in mind
    # 20 3
    android.process.media
    com.android.deskclock
    com.android.email
    com.android.music
    com.android.protips
    com.android.providers.calendar
    com.android.providers.media
    com.android.quicksearchbox
    com.android.voicedialer
    com.bel.android.dspmanager
    com.cooliris.media
    com.cyanogenmod.cmparts
    com.google.android.apps.maps:FriendService
    com.google.android.apps.maps:NetworkLocationService
    com.google.android.partnersetup
    com.google.android.voicesearch
    com.google.android.youtube
    com.koushikdutta.rommanager
    com.koushikdutta.rommanager.license
    com.tmobile.thememanager
    com.vzw.vvm.androidclient
    net.cactii.flash2

The above settings will actively kill these proceses for 60 seconds after the bootanimation completes. You may want to add/remove apps from this list. For example, notice that RM and CMParts are in the list. If, immediately after bootup, you open RM, you may find it disappear before your eyes, because csm is killing it. You can either remove it from the list, or tweak the LOOP/DELAY parameters to your liking. In addition, you can completely turn it off by typing in 'csm off' in terminal. Other commands available from terminal:

csm set 5 5 - This will change LOOP/DELAY to 5/5
    csm off - turn it off completely
    csm on - turns it on and runs it once with no looping or delay
    csm settings - displays current settings

Additionally - if you place a '#' in front of any app in the list, it will be ignored.

Also, as far as task killing - part of the Android OS is that if it sees a process die, it will reschedule a startup again of the task. This, as far as task killing, is a PITA. Therefore I have modified the OS to also NOT restart any apps contained in csm.lst.

This task killer can have a pretty big impact on how much free memory you have. The lack of available memory has been the major cause of the soft resets (ie. to bootanimation and not the 'M') that you have seen. Also to help in this area - compcache is enabled by default going forward, and the Dalvik VM has been updated as well. You can still change these to suit your needs, but after extensive testing these are the defaults I see that work best. If you run the task killer option from my tools, it will also reset compcache ( a good practice every couple of days in lieu of a reboot). So make good use of this!
  2. adamrobles

adamrobles New Member

me

ill test :)
  3. telex9471

telex9471 New Member

Wahoo!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. lermajm9

lermajm9 New Member

I'll test it too
  5. SawxFan15

SawxFan15 New Member

Yes!

Sold! Sign me up!!
  6. maninblack

maninblack New Member

Me please

7. 57panhead

57panhead New Member

Count me in!
  8. wricks

wricks Premium Member Premium Member

I'm in too.
  9. ChevyNo1

Only 3 left! ;)
  10. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii New Member

I'll definitely give it a run....

Is it compatible with Theme Manager?
  11. nyteowl

nyteowl New Member

I'm in!! Looking forward to it.
  12. shoot2scre

shoot2scre New Member

Did I make the cut?
  13. ChevyNo1

Yep! CM-based - therefore compatible with anything-CM
  14. ChevyNo1

Closed! ;)
  15. neilrl79

neilrl79 New Member

I'll give it a run if it's still open.
  16. chaos.

chaos. New Member

i hope i'm in
  17. telex9471

telex9471 New Member

I am backing up right now...... Can't wait and I will test the heck out of it.
  18. Disposibleteen

Disposibleteen New Member

I'll test 10char
  19. jbobbitt

jbobbitt New Member

me tooo! please!!!
  20. Bloodhawlk

Bloodhawlk New Member

Count me in too

Search tags for this page

have you seen these droids flyer pdf