1Ghz or 1.2Ghz

dnyor93

Reaction score
Ok, Is my DROID 2 1Ghz or a 1.2Ghz On the Verizon site I saw that the DROID 2 had a 1.2 Ghz but yet they were announcing it was a 1Ghz

And how can I tell?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok, Is my DROID 2 1Ghz or a 1.2Ghz On the Verizon site I saw that the DROID 2 had a 1.2 Ghz but yet they were announcing it was a 1Ghz

And how can I tell?

Droid 2 is 1.0GHz; Droid 2 Global is 1.2GHz.

wmnomore

Reaction score
I think this was a mistake seen on VZW's website. They were getting ready to place the global version on the droiddoes page, but had the Droid 2 name on top still.

I think they will phase out the D2 and only carry the global eventually.

Modred189

Reaction score
Is it a hardware difference, or just a clock speed difference?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The "recommended or rated" speed of the processor is set by the manufacturer of the microprocessor. Typically there are several speeds at which the processor can run and still be within factory specifications.

Often phone manufacturers will use a processor that can go to say 700Mhz for instance, but to reduce power consumption and make the battery last longer, they may clock it down to 500Mhz. On the other hand, people will root their phones and run the clocks at faster than they were designed to operate by increasing key voltages to the chip (called overclocking). Although this can make the phone much faster and feel snappier, unless you are careful not to push the limits too far this can also cause instability of the processor, errors and force closes, and can also create excessive heat and potentially permanently damage the processor.

The Droid 2 is running at 1Ghz, which if I recall is the rated speed of the processor. That is not to say that it couldn't run faster, but in order to do so, you'd have to root and potentially suffer the problems above.

The Droid Global is equipped with a faster 1.2Ghz processor, and as mentioned below there was a slight advertising bobble which showed the Droid 2 as a 1.2Ghz processor, but if you look now, it clearly shows 1Ghz.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The "recommended or rated" speed of the processor is set by the manufacturer of the microprocessor. Typically there are several speeds at which the processor can run and still be within factory specifications.

Often phone manufacturers will use a processor that can go to say 700Mhz for instance, but to reduce power consumption and make the battery last longer, they may clock it down to 500Mhz. On the other hand, people will root their phones and run the clocks at faster than they were designed to operate by increasing key voltages to the chip (called overclocking). Although this can make the phone much faster and feel snappier, unless you are careful not to push the limits too far this can also cause instability of the processor, errors and force closes, and can also create excessive heat and potentially permanently damage the processor.

The Droid 2 is running at 1Ghz, which if I recall is the rated speed of the processor. That is not to say that it couldn't run faster, but in order to do so, you'd have to root and potentially suffer the problems above.

The Droid Global is equipped with a faster 1.2Ghz processor, and as mentioned below there was a slight advertising bobble which showed the Droid 2 as a 1.2Ghz processor, but if you look now, it clearly shows 1Ghz.

My D2 is over clocked to 1.25 ghz but what you need to do is make sure that you select the proper kernel and speed. With Jrummy's Overclock this is very easy to do.

Also you set your profile up to reduce stress. I run at 400 mhz when my Droid is sleeping, and charging. No overheating, no damage.

You make it sound like it's much more dangerous and complicated then it actually is.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hookbill,

I apologize if I made it seem like dire consequences are assured for overclocking. I certainly wasn't intending to imply such. Just making sure that anyone who was considering it should do the proper research first.

I haven't rooted, and don't know if I ever will, but there's always a chance. I do appreciate your input. There are plenty of people like you who have rooted, overclocked, and have never had a problem. There are also those who overclocked and suffered problems, mainly due to pushing things too far. I can see you are being kind to your processor by giving it a rest and running it only 25% above rated. You will probably never suffer any undue problems.

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I overclocked my D2 @ 1350mhz then it over heated n I had to take off the battery before it got worse, now no matter what I do, my phone is always foreclosing and its real buggy, it freezes on me for like 30sec. Every 10sec. Its so frustrating, I overclocked using milestone, and set profiles using setcpu, but the over heat happened while I was watching a moobee on my phone and I was charging it at the same time, it got to 55'C then I pulled the batt.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Sounds like you may have damaged some subcomponents of the board, maybe not the processor itself. Usually on cpus the heat tolerance is 70c, with 90 or higher being the maximum threshold before damage occurs. The cpu will force a shutdown or reboot before this happens. I will look into the TI spec sheet to find the 36xx series' t-junction and such and get back to you.

After being unable to find the 3630/40 spec sheet, i settled for the 3530/25( the build of all OMAP3 procs are pretty much the same. Its like comparing a core i7 8xx to a core i7 9xx). As suspected, max Ta/Tj are 70/90C, and i understand that the temp sensor is probably not reporting from the cpu core itself, but in my experience with computers 55C even on the outside of the cpu's cooling jacket should not be enough to fry the internals. As i said before, if you had actually hit the temp limit the cpu would have automatically initiated a reset, or in a more severe case a total shutdown. Also, would anyone care to explain why in the hell TI is no longer listing the 36xx models??? </edit>

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

Taegost

Reaction score
Sounds like you may have damaged some subcomponents of the board, maybe not the processor itself. Usually on cpus the heat tolerance is 70c, with 90 or higher being the maximum threshold before damage occurs. The cpu will force a shutdown or reboot before this happens. I will look into the TI spec sheet to find the 36xx series' t-junction and such and get back to you.

After being unable to find the 3630/40 spec sheet, i settled for the 3530/25( the build of all OMAP3 procs are pretty much the same. Its like comparing a core i7 8xx to a core i7 9xx). As suspected, max Ta/Tj are 70/90C, and i understand that the temp sensor is probably not reporting from the cpu core itself, but in my experience with computers 55C even on the outside of the cpu's cooling jacket should not be enough to fry the internals. As i said before, if you had actually hit the temp limit the cpu would have automatically initiated a reset, or in a more severe case a total shutdown. Also, would anyone care to explain why in the hell TI is no longer listing the 36xx models??? </edit>

I'm not sure if the temp sensor reports the CPU temp on the D2 (I know it doesn't do it well on the D1) but there is also another temp you need to watch out for: The battery. This is usually the reported number.
I copy/pasted this from AndroidForums.com because I can't find the thread I posted the data in, but here it is:

"According to the official specs on the droid's ARM cortex a8 processor, the operating temperature is 0C to 90C (194F) (standard applications), and -40c to 105C (extreme applications). The Droid's battery is rated at 60C (140F) so the battery will fry long before the CPU will. Bottom line is, we spend way too much time worrying about our CPU temps!"

Now, even though this is regarding the D1, the specs are nearly identical for the D2 and they use the same batteries.

Reaction score
Really, these batteries are ok up to 60C? I thought I recalled that efficiency started dropping around 40... I have a SetCPU profile (highest priority) to throttle my CPU to 600MHz max when the temp hits 41C.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score

I'm not sure if the temp sensor reports the CPU temp on the D2 (I know it doesn't do it well on the D1) but there is also another temp you need to watch out for: The battery. This is usually the reported number.
I copy/pasted this from AndroidForums.com because I can't find the thread I posted the data in, but here it is:

"According to the official specs on the droid's ARM cortex a8 processor, the operating temperature is 0C to 90C (194F) (standard applications), and -40c to 105C (extreme applications). The Droid's battery is rated at 60C (140F) so the battery will fry long before the CPU will. Bottom line is, we spend way too much time worrying about our CPU temps!"

Now, even though this is regarding the D1, the specs are nearly identical for the D2 and they use the same batteries.

I totally concur on the battery temperature being overlooked and most of us are too focused on the CPU temperature! I've always noticed the battery, from different phones, being more warm than the phone itself and have always wondered what the battery thresholds were.

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Ok so the temperature that setcpu shows on its widget is the battery temp or the cpu temp?