18 days from bliss (I hope)

BadDawg_1

Reaction score
Another newb Names Allen and I'm a smart phone virgin.

My Verizon contract is up in 18 days. I love my G'zOne Boulder because it is the only phone that ever out lasted my contract. I'm seriously hard on the poor critters. However, with great hesitation and fear for the phones life I've decided to move up. After a month of researching I'm still hung up between the Droid X and 2. I've watched so many Youtube and Cnet clips I'm going blind. This exhausting seach and destroy is how I ran across this sight.

The other problem I'm having is where to buy it from. Until a few days ago I didn't even know you could get one any place other than Verizon kiosk, brick and mortar and Verizon on line. The Droid 2 seems to be unavailable just about anywhere except Verizon. But the Droid 2 global seems to be in supply in most places.

Anyhow, that is why I'm here, trying to figure out what to do. Once I get it I'll probably spend an ungodly amount of time on here cussing and screaming as well as praising.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Pp
Another newb Names Allen and I'm a smart phone virgin.

My Verizon contract is up in 18 days. I love my G'zOne Boulder because it is the only phone that ever out lasted my contract. I'm seriously hard on the poor critters. However, with great hesitation and fear for the phones life I've decided to move up. After a month of researching I'm still hung up between the Droid X and 2. I've watched so many Youtube and Cnet clips I'm going blind. This exhausting seach and destroy is how I ran across this sight.

The other problem I'm having is where to buy it from. Until a few days ago I didn't even know you could get one any place other than Verizon kiosk, brick and mortar and Verizon on line. The Droid 2 seems to be unavailable just about anywhere except Verizon. But the Droid 2 global seems to be in supply in most places.

Anyhow, that is why I'm here, trying to figure out what to do. Once I get it I'll probably spend an ungodly amount of time on here cussing and screaming as well as praising.

There will be a ton of phones coming out for CES in a few weeks. Hold off until then if you want your next phone to last the contact. Avoid motorola phones. They have locked bootloaders. Motorola did this so in six months when the new os comes out they can use the new os as a way to sell phones to people who recently purchased one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
B

BadDawg_1

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. If there are a lot of new cool releases it might drop the prices on all of last years stuff too. Which kind of leads to another question. Why is there such a big price differance between Verizon website, the brick and mortar store and several other internet sites. The price differance can be as much as $150. What are the draw backs of getting a phone outside of the Verizon main stream?

OP
B

BadDawg_1

Reaction score
This is being sent via my new droid x. Sorry bionic my contract was up and I didn't wanna wait. Just managed to keep my NE2 for one more round.

quiklives

Reaction score
Even with the locked bootloader, there's a ton you can do with the X. Philosophically, I am sad about the locked bootloader, and I wish I could get the new update faster, but frankly, I'm really happy with my X. I just flashed the Liberty ROM and it's just about perfect. Welcome to the dark side!

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. I definitely say hold off. with new phones coming out, try them all out. happy hunting

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

UNC

Reaction score
Droid 2 was phased out in favor of the Droid 2 Global... the D2G has a faster processor though, so its a good thing for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
B

BadDawg_1

Reaction score
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I don't know enough about'em yet to know why I want it unlocked yet. I'm sure I will soon. I've been pouring over the forum and it seems like a must.

quiklives

Reaction score
In my (admittedly limited) understanding, the locked bootloader prevents us from loading custom kernels - so for instance, if a viable version of gingerbread was leaked, we couldn't use it (whereas the original droid, nexus phones, etc could) because it requires a different kernel. All our custom ROMs have to be built off the current Android version on our phones. Which is why in the ROM threads, in the instructions, you almost always see "You HAVE to be running ___" where ___ is a build number. I think Liberty requires .340 for example.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
B

BadDawg_1

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. As off now still loving the phone with only a few personal touches right now. Although I hate the droid market. Having a seriously pissy time with getting beautiful widgets. A topic that seems to be an on going problem on numerous threads and forums.