$150 Lapdock 500

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Went on the VZW web site and chatted with a service rep... she said they do not know when the Lapdocks are going to be back in stock. I never ordered one on the deal from VZ but I was just trying to find one. Today I stopped at several VZW stores both company and resellers including Best Buy and BJ's with no luck.
I got home and decided to check CL and lo and behold theres one for sale New Sealed Box for $210. I E-mail the ad and they call me back, still for sale. I meet the guy at a mall about 1/2 hour away and offer him $175... SOLD!
I am typing this from the Lapdock

mcsoul

Reaction score
Went on the VZW web site and chatted with a service rep... she said they do not know when the Lapdocks are going to be back in stock. I never ordered one on the deal from VZ but I was just trying to find one. Today I stopped at several VZW stores both company and resellers including Best Buy and BJ's with no luck.
I got home and decided to check CL and lo and behold theres one for sale New Sealed Box for $210. I E-mail the ad and they call me back, still for sale. I meet the guy at a mall about 1/2 hour away and offer him $175... SOLD!
I am typing this from the Lapdock

How's the leaked ICS working with it?

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
How's the leaked ICS working with it?

A little strange... I can see why the webtop version is Beta. You can use all of your apps but...

No phone panel, no taskbar. It's like having a tablet version of your phone but you need to set all the screens up from scratch. The main advantage I see (besides having a keyboard and large monitor) is being able to use Chrome Beta as the browser. (Due to the ICS leak)

If I had paid full retail for it I would be returning it but for $150-$200 I would say it is worth it for most people.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
I think the purpose is to emulate a tablet experience. I have a Asus original Transformer that has been upgraded to ICS and it reminds me of that experience. I still look at this device as giving me 4g lte on a large screen w/keyboard with out having to invest in tethering (monthly charged or otherwise). Still evaluating wether to carry this hardware around or just a tablet with my phone.

mcsoul

Reaction score
I think the purpose is to emulate a tablet experience. I have a Asus original Transformer that has been upgraded to ICS and it reminds me of that experience. I still look at this device as giving me 4g lte on a large screen w/keyboard with out having to invest in tethering (monthly charged or otherwise). Still evaluating wether to carry this hardware around or just a tablet with my phone.

Yeah, that new ipad 3 has me thinking. I hope that screen quality comes to an android tablet soon.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yeah, that new ipad 3 has me thinking. I hope that screen quality comes to an android tablet soon.

The Transformer Infinity, sporting a resolution of 1920×1200, is rumored to be released this summer.

RAZRmax

Reaction score
mcsoul said:

I dunno, I think the screen quality of my Razr is outstanding actually... When I set my Droid on the bar it's a lot bigger than those crapple things most other people have.

Ed270

Reaction score
RAZRmax said:
I dunno, I think the screen quality of my Razr is outstanding actually... When I set my Droid on the bar it's a lot bigger than those crapple things most other people have.

I agree. It maybe just me but I think ICS has improved the sharpness of the display. As for the phone looking bigger. The display is but the iphones I have seen look like a brick when they have an otterbox on them

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Yeah, way too thick. Even with a Moto body glove like the one I have, the Razr is still a lot sleeker.

But what I meant is the display itself. the Razr's screen is way bigger than any iPhone I've ever seen.

mleber

Reaction score
Yes, the phone and the LapDock are like entirely new machines. They got rid of the old desktop and the new WebTop is ICS tablet OS basically. Way improved over the last iteration.

I have had nothing but problems with my 500 since I updated to ICS. My connection to the lapdock recognizes my phone maybe 5-10% of the time, meaning I have to plug it in 10-20 times before it recognizes it and works. I did a live chat with Motorola and they said "Have you tried another lapdock?" Uhhh...well, I only own one of them....so they want me to take my phone to a Verizon store to see if I have the same problem on one in the store. Even when it does recognize my phone, it doesn't look right or function the way it is supposed to.