15 year olds and smartphones... what are your feelings towards it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Insidious, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I can't say that I agree with you. A cell phone is not a necessity. It is a luxury unless you use it for work. I use mine for work all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a cell phone. But I don't believe its a right to have one, even for safety reasons. That's what made me so angry when welfare recipients were getting free cell phones with free minutes and the government was saying that cell phones are a right.

sent from my ApeX

2. Zog

Zog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ya. No one should have that many stipulations over something as simple as a phone. I've had one since the OG launched. Let's be honest it's a toy, entertainment for ur child. It makes them happy and look good around friends with one. These days phones show class and social status, its sad but true.

Kids are broke, if u got the money its unnecessary to make them pay what little they have. They're only young once, spoil em. They'd want to be able to do the same for their kids. That over parental paranoia would really create a rift between us in my house. Do you trust your kids or not? That's all they want from you.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v9

3. Zog

Zog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your kid should know right from wrong. They know how to behave online these days, growing up infront of a screen is the norm, who cares how much they are on it.. as long as they get their shtuff done, lay off em.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v9

4. tommyg562000

tommyg562000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    So its safe to assume your kids, and probably you, have poor money management skills. That's just dumb to pay everything for them; you're basically promoting the welfare system.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

5. alboboy10

alboboy10 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm trying to get my parents to get my 14 year old brother one. But he's not one of those people that doesn't pay attention because of a phone. It's a necessity nowadays. I think you need a smart phone as soon as u enter high school

6. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. My parents trusted me. I worked since 14 the maximum hours every week. I paid my own cell phone bill, and I stayed out as late as I wanted and did what I wanted. My family supported me and knew if they tried to control every aspect of my life, I'd rebel. Kids are going to sext, they're going to drink, etc. And you parents can't stop it no matter how hard you try. Because now your kids are doing it behind your back.

By having my parents trust, I told then when I was going out to drink and where. I told them when I was leaving late at night to see my girlfriend. My mom is my best friend now and I'm not dead.

For the record I've known many girls with overly strict parents such as the ones here and it wasn't hard to get them out of their house. All you guys are doing is attempting to shelter your kids and creating a rift between the family.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

7. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0

8. tommyg562000

tommyg562000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    That's not trust, they just didn't care about you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

9. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're an awful troll. My mom dedicated her life to her children. She trusted I would be safe and call her for rides even at 2am on weeknights when she had to work the next mourning. She was at my school multiple times a week arguing with the staff to get me graduated early. She cared more than any other parents I've seen. She treated me like an adult from 14 on and it worked just fine. And like I said, her and I have had a better relationship for it. Probably better than the nazi parents and their kids.

10. DROOIID

DROOIID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to ask.... why does the OP have "sent from my driod bionic" as a signature?

11. Insidious

Insidious Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Sent from my Droid Bionic!

12. TreFiDDy

TreFiDDy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My brother got his droid when he was 14. I got mine about 18. Personally I don't think it's necessary to have a smartphone sometimes I wish I didn't have a phone at all just because of some annoying people.
    I'd let my kid have one. Hell if it was better then mine or figured out that it runs alot another then mine I'd take his phone and give him mine haha. I can't say kids will be kids cause well I still consider myself somewhat of a kid but it's only true. You can't expect your kid to break your rules one way or another. you got to think about you when you were a kid I'm pretty sure most of you didn't play exactly by your parents rules just think of it in their shoes. I'd say make rules but don't over do it and restrict them of every little thing cause in the end it'll probably make them be more rebellious once they get older. Just my .02

Sent From A Supercharged Modded X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
15 year olds with smart phones
phones for 15 year olds
should a 15 year old get a smartphone

should a 15 year old have a smartphone

should i check my 15 yr olds phone
should i get my15 year old a smartphone

smartphone for 15 year old

smartphones and 15 year olds, grades