100% to 90% battery charge in a SNAP!

troy1612

Reaction score
ok, so i recently heard that in order to keep the battery lasting a long period of time you should charge the battery when it's at 10% all the way to 100% without any disruption. So i did this for a while now. The problem now is that when i hear the phone beep that it is at 100% i disconnect it, and like a few seconds later it reads that it is at 90% charge level. it barely started doing it and it has me a bit worried. is there anything i should do, or be worried about? thanks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You are misinterpreting the information regarding charging. If you want the LONGEST RUNTIME from the battery (that is, from when you disconnect to when you must reconnect), charging to 100% with POWER OFF will provide the most complete charge.

Charging with power on will often do exactly what you are experiencing, disruption or not.

By the way, 90% simply means (not yet 100%, but could be 99%), when charging. 90% when discharging means it was just 91%, and has dropped one more percent to 90%. It will show 90% in that example all the way through 89 to 81%, then at 80%, it will drop to showing 80%.

In the end, there's nothing to worry about. And while charging, just because it beeps doesn't mean you have to remove it from charge. It may still charge a little longer and "saturate" the battery so it remains at 100% once removed for a while.

OP
T

troy1612

Reaction score
so what you are saying is that i must turn off my phone and let it charge in order to receive the best possible battery length? Will turning it off and leaving it charging over night harm it in any way?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No it will not. The phone's charging system shuts down automatically once the battery reaches maximum charge, and will only resume charging once the battery charge level falls to 90%. The real question is do you need to charge to the maximum capacity every night or just infrequently when you are going to be away from any charging source for an extended period of time?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

troy1612

Reaction score
i dont think that i require charging it all the way to 100% right now. what is a good rule of thumb to follow to ensure that i dont damage my battery?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The best way to get the longest possible life out of your battery (number of charges, or years), is to charge partial charges at any opportunity, such a car dock, a computer USB port, or carrying a portable backup battery. Charging to 100% or draining to below 10% will add stress to the battery and shorten the battery's life, but charging several times during the day in short bursts, an hour here, an hour there, 30 minutes there, will help the phone to make it through a day of heavy use, and will actually help extend the battery's life.

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
I'm a noob here. First post.
I wish I had known or thought of that before, however I'm blaming my "quick discharging battery" problems to the ICS update. I never had this problem until then. After the update and experiencing the battery, and also connectivity problems I might add, I started Googling and found this website and others. I then realized it was the update. I have read some of Foxcat's other post about recalibrating the battery and tried it a couple of times with no luck. Still had same problem, then I decided to call VZW tech support, got 2nd teir tech and ended up doing factory reset, which I was trying to avoid. They said they had had some luck with that..... nope. But, before getting off the phone with him I was able to get him to agree to send me a new phone via Fedex. He's sending me the razr maxx, I don't have the maxx. Should have it Monday. Alls well thats ends well. Looking forward to the Maxx!

OP
T

troy1612

Reaction score
rkirk. is it that the ics update that made our phones go into icecream or what not the reason why the phone battery has been acting up now? I have noticed that i am getting connectivity issues. spots where i used to get perfect signal with 4G and all, i now get no signal post update. did the factory reset help a little or not at all?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Foxkat, you should change your user name to "battery guru". Lol

While I agree that FoxKat is the man on battery related stuff.... he's also knowledgeable about a lot of other things... so why pigeon hole him to just batteries???? :D:cool:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are razr/ razr maxx users really experiencing reception problems after ics.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Sorry I haven't replied earlier as I stated I have had some issues with the razor after the ics update. I just got my new phone yesterday fedex, got it going last night and have done a few things on it this morning battery is lasting very good so far as well as full 4g signal all morning 45 miles to work from the house. the other phone after the update could hardly get signal and battery kept dying constantly I had to keep it on the charger just to keep it on. Not sure what others think but I'm convinced i had the signal and battery problems from the ics update. VZW sent me the razr max with ics already installed and so far its working great.

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Now i want to attempt rooting this phone and see what kind of stuff i can do with. It would be good for me to be able to use wifi tethering. I paid for it for a little while and it was nice to have, but didn't like paying for that when i could just use usb cable to connect to laptop and do the same thing for free. Its ridiculous if you ask me. I think I'll try the utility 1.81. Does anyone have a link to that? I have seen 1.8 and read that Matt revised with 1.81, but cant seem to locate that one.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
troy1612 said:
ok, so i recently heard that in order to keep the battery lasting a long period of time you should charge the battery when it's at 10% all the way to 100% without any disruption. So i did this for a while now. The problem now is that when i hear the phone beep that it is at 100% i disconnect it, and like a few seconds later it reads that it is at 90% charge level. it barely started doing it and it has me a bit worried. is there anything i should do, or be worried about? thanks.

Download an app called battery circle from the play store. It should give you a better perspective since Motorola does their battery statistics in increments of 10.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Are razr/ razr maxx users really experiencing reception problems after ics.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have not noticed any on my end, 4G actually seems better. I am on the .215 leak if it matters.