100 down to 90% charged in 20 minutes is this normal?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I unplugged my phone at 810 or 815 and now at 830 it is showing 90% charged. It had been plugged in since 8 pm last night. Is this normal? I've had this phone since after thanksgiving and this is the first time I noticed it.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
it didn't happen with my THUNDERBOLT or original droid and this is the first time I've noticed it on my razr. Yesterday I hardly used it except for NORMAL facebook, web and texting and it was dead in 10 hours. Verizon tells me this is NORMAL. I'm not happy at all.
As much as I hated my thunderbolt, with it's extended battery I didn't have to worry about battery life and reception was excellent until last fall. I haven't found a phone that will match up to it yet.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Have you tried training your battery? I have a regular razr and with minimal use I can get 15–20 hours out of it. Are you on ice cream sandwich? Or did you install the jelly bean leak? It does drain a little faster from 100% - 90%. Maybe try using smart actions to turn off mobile data when screen is off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jhev1

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but if you turn off mobile data when the screen is off, will you still get emails? I'm not sure since I think gmail is a push, but not really sure how that works.

avenged61973

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but if you turn off mobile data when the screen is off, will you still get emails? I'm not sure since I think gmail is a push, but not really sure how that works.
If you use smart actions to turn off data when you're phone is idle yes you will still get emails, text messages, and phone calls.

jhev1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So what does mobile data turn off? Just the apps that go out and check for data?

avenged61973

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So what does mobile data turn off? Just the apps that go out and check for data?

It shuts down your phone signal completely, So your phone is not searching for signal or switching from 3g to 4G... And yes all the apps that are using data. We all know how much battery 4G uses this is just a way to shut it down when your phone is idle.

avenged61973

Reaction score
I have to add... Don't shut mobile data off manually. Use smart actions or other alternatives such as juice defender. If you manually shut down data you will not receive calls, texts, or emails.

B

Bakerboy448

Avenged61973- i don't think you are aware how mobile data works...

@OP- turning off mobile data, or even 4G will help.. and turning off mobile data means you will only recieve SMS and calls (no MMS-pic/vidmessages) and no web/data access

avenged61973

Reaction score
Avenged61973- i don't think you are aware how mobile data works...

@OP- turning off mobile data, or even 4G will help.. and turning off mobile data means you will only recieve SMS and calls (no MMS-pic/vidmessages) and no web/data access

All I'm trying to say is if you use smart actions or a similar app like juice defender to turn off mobile data when your phone is idle it saves a lot of power.

I use juice defender to shut of data when my phone is idle, I still get all of my sms and mms messaging, email and phone calls.

OleManDan

Reaction score
It shuts down your phone signal completely, So your phone is not searching for signal or switching from 3g to 4G... And yes all the apps that are using data. We all know how much battery 4G uses this is just a way to shut it down when your phone is idle.

I live in a 4G fringe area and my phone drops to 3G, then back to 4G. It will eat your battery. I cut my data off except when I want to use it...
I get about 20 hours of battery life on my Razr. I also put in a home WIFI to help solve the switching back and fourth. NO COMPLAINTS HERE.
I don't have unlimited data, so the wifi is a big help.

diablo81588

Reaction score
The reason your phone drops to 90 percent so fast is because of the way lithium batteries are charged. When the battery charges to full, the charger will turn off until the battery reaches 90 percent. Then, the charger will charge it back to full, and repeat the process until you unplug the charger. The reason you may think it drops to 90 so quickly is because it wasn't necessarily at 100 percent when you unplugged the charger. The phone only reports in ten percent increments, so it will say 100 percent until the battery drops to 90. When you unplugged the charger, the battery may have been around 92 percent or so, making you think it dropped quickly. Hope that makes sense :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

moset

Reaction score
Actually the 10% increments are displayed based on the rounded percentage. 94% will show as 90 down to 85% at 84% it will show 70% etc. You can see 1% Increments with several apps
Without root including Gsam battery widget. It also shows lots of other information about battery use and it's free.