1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

10 Things The Apple iPad Doesn't Have..

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Edmvr6, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

1. Flash. The Safari browser included on the iPad doesn't have Flash -- just like the iPhone. That's a huge hindrance. How does Apple think it can get away with no Flash? Did it bake HTML5 in and forget to tell us about it?

2. No camera. A user-facing camera to enable video conferencing and/or video chats was high on the list of features expected. It doesn't have one.

3. No multitasking. It appears that even though Apple has re-jiggered iPhone OS to work on this device, it still can't run background processes. That's a huge detractor.

4. No Verizon. The 3G wireless service that comes as an option with the iPad is not being provided by Verizon Wireless. It is being provided by AT&T. Man, can AT&T handle it? We know the scorecard there.

5. No widescreen display. The 9.7-inch IPS display may be capable of showing HD movies, but it doesn't match the 16:9 standard screen dimension that many of today's devices conform to.

6. No Mac OS. The iPad runs a new, in-house built processor that Apple calls the A4. It clocks in at 1GHz. That appears to be just fine for iPhone OS, but the iPad doesn't run the more capable, full OS X, which is what would have really set the device on fire.

7. No GPS. The iPad has an accelerometer for a great gaming experience, but no GPS. That means Google Maps is going to have to rely on 3G and/or Wi-Fi to locate the iPad. So much for replacing your smartphone.

8. Enough storage. I realize that the iPad can sync content with iTunes and users can add/remove content at will, but 64GB (max size) is just not enough. Not enough for the games, movies and music I'd want to carry around.

9. Removable Battery. The iPad follows the footsteps of Apple's iPhone and newer laptops in that it doesn't have a user-removable battery. So much for bringing a spare for flights that last more than the 10-hour rated battery time.

10. No HDMI. How is it possible that Apple would skip an HDMI port for easy compatibility with today's HDTVs? Stunning, in my book.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog...l;jsessionid=0R2Y3WLQ2HD2HQE1GHPSKHWATMY32JVN

Maybe during the SUPERBOWL commercial we can bash both Iphone and the new "IMAXIPAD" hahahhaahhahahahahahaha
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

wow, it doesnt have any of that stuff?
    I'm definitely not worried about the new iphone 'beating' the droid...
    honestly, i dont know what they were thinking
  3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Yes, bad SADLY thousands of people will pre-order this POS just like every other Apple product and tout it's "greatness".... and then next year (or later this year) they will GLADLY buy the iPad2 (or whatever BS name they give it)...

That's what I really don't get about Apple users... Apple is notorious for sh!tting on their customers and they just keep coming back for more (look at how many idiots, sorry I mean users bought at least 2 iPhones just to get capabilities that SHOULD have been in their previous phone).... But hey, that's how they have sales exceeding $40 Billion...
  4. Galindo62

Galindo62 New Member

its an absolute joke that apple is calling it revolutionary.

i rather just wait half a year until they come out with a slightly improve version, and see if its worth buying.
  5. Hell Toupee

Hell Toupee New Member

This reminds me of the hype leading up to the Segway. When it was announced yesterday I told my wife without 3G this thing is a non starter. I didn't realize it was lacking so many other things that should just be a given. And considering about 80% or more of the web now has some sort of Flash this thing is dead to me.
  6. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

You have some bad information. The 3G will work with any carrier except T-Mobile. it is not limited to AT&T
  7. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

Its basically a big ass ipod touch.. lol
  8. coondogg97

coondogg97 New Member

That really doesn't sound right.

Yes, some of Apple fanboys will run out and get the iPad. But it is still a disappointment, even to the apple community. I have been an Apple fan since they released the first iPod. I was really looking forward to seeing the tablet and picking one up. This release was a huge disappointment to everyone, including Apple fans.

The great thing is regardless of how lacking the iPad is, it will still create enough talk to have other companies produce an affordable tablet to compete.
  9. papy72

papy72 New Member

And the 3G version is just a big iPhone that can't make phone calls. :)
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. texasPI

texasPI New Member

And on AT&T its an even bigger brick than the iPhony! :icon_censored:
  11. papy72

papy72 New Member

I find this the most annoying thing for it to lack. Apple, apparently, just can't learn from it's mistakes. How cool would it be to read a book with this thing AND be able to talk to your buddies on IM? Or listen to your favorite music while reading.

<sigh> So much wasted potential.

In the end, I would only consider the iPad if-and-when I wanted to buy an e-book reader. In that regard I think the iPad looks better than the Kindle. But keep in mind: that is an opinion based on first looks only. I would naturally research both products before making a buying decision, and my gut tells me that the Kindle would be better product after doing that research.
  12. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

He is correct, the 3g version will not be limited to AT&T, it's an unlocked version and can be used on other networks. There is however no word if it has a CDMA radio in it, so 2 of the networks are still up in the air, but the GSM networks, it should work fine on. (That's from what i've heard)

It's funny because if you read the Information week article and read the comments, there's already isheep defending it. There are just people that no matter what apple comes out with, it's revolutionary, and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately apple is not the first one to come out with a tablet that looks like that, and they won't be the last. If they want to contend in the tablet realm, they will have to steep up their game. Other tablets have ALOT more functionality then the ipad, apple was too busy not listening to the customers to understand that.
  13. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

I was really excited to be able to use an apple based tablet that I could do photoshop edits for. Since i cannot add any real apps to this (photoshop mobile is crap) this won't do much for me.

My laptop is less than an inch thick, the battery lasts 9 hours, it has a cd drive, can charge my droid via usb and my mouse is multitouch and has pinch to zoom among other things. It has 320 gigs of glorious hard drive space and 4 gigs of ram. It plays hd videos in any format I want and has hdmi out as well.

Oh, and i only paid $529 for it. They seemed to have missed the mark on this. I have no doubts that it has a place somewhere, somehow. A general pc user maybe. They can carry this thing around, watch movies, listen to music, browse the web, play their stupid farmville and even print wirelessly if they want I am sure. As long as we keep in mind this is made to be something for the pc user who is not going to do much with it, then it will have a place. For a long time ive always said apple prices themselves out of the generic market because of price. This is their attempt to tap into it.

Just like the first gen iphone was junk, this kinda is too. They will learn from it and conform to the wants of the user.
  14. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

I guess that's what they do... but it sure seems to take them years to figure out what users want. Then it's not what the users want, it's what they figured out what was missing on the device.
  15. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

It's no lightweight either. At 1.5 lbs it'll be heavy to read a book on it with one hand. Even with two hands it won't be fun after a while.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  16. NVash

NVash New Member

The iPad, IMHO, is trash. But then again Im still annoyed that they downgraded the quality of the iPod Classic so music doesnt sound right anymore and they cant make an iTouch thats 120GB. One day, maybe theyll get it right.
  17. stdesign

stdesign New Member

There have been a lot of negative comments about the iPad, and for the most part, I agree with them. But I have to ask: What made Amazon think that they could make a device with a black and white screen, and fairly locked-down content (which Apple had started doing with the iPod to begin with), and charge so many hundreds of dollars for it? After the iPad reveal, they have to be rethinking the feature set of their Kindle device by quite a bit. So yeah, I think the iPad will be the most exceptional E-reader device so far, but that's about it. I do hope that Apple also boost the feature set of the iPad, so that it will, indeed, be the 'tween' device that they (questionably) say it is now. Somehow, I think they'll be able to improve their product better than Amazon will, but I could be wrong about that ;) .
  18. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

kindle isn't a black and white screen, it's e ink, it looks just like paper. Ipad is backlit led cm hello eyestrain.
  19. speed4tu

speed4tu New Member

Well in the US there are no other options so basically you ARE limited to AT&T
  20. stdesign

stdesign New Member

Black & white, monochrome, it's splitting hairs, really. My point is; the iPad is a much richer interface experience than just a plain "e-ink" display, like the Kindle's. One thing's for sure... The reason this market is going to evolve slowly is because people are very fickle about this very thing. I was just listening to the radio, and they were making the case that some people only like plain, black & white pages for their reading, versus folks like myself who like a richer, more visual experience, which would lend itself very well to content other than books. Magazines, some newspapers, and web pages will look a lot better on an iPad than on a Kindle. It's a personal preference, and as we saw this last holiday season, Amazon is actually doing quite well with Kindle sales. I wouldn't read anything other than a book with one, and if I spent money to get the content, I sure as hell wouldn't expect Amazon to take that content back at will :mad: .