10 Slot Kernel's

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pthance, Mar 8, 2010.

1. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so I'm gonna do this post as an informative one because I think people just may not know. Basically, ALL the current 10 slot kernel's that have been created to date are dangerous. Taz (everyone knows who he I assume) has come out and said this himself. He and the Droidmod team (although he goes by sgx now) are working on a way to allow for more slots safely, but in their current state these kernels are like "playing Russian Roulette" with your droid. I don't know if its a lack of knowledge on the other developers part, or if they just don't care...but you run a serious risk of cooking your droid using a kernel that has more than 5 slots at this point. I know people aren't going to believe me, or they are going to think I'm mis-informed, but I honestly believe Taz(sgx) and the DroidMod team over anyone else at this point. Hope this information finds you all well, and I hope the other Dev's out there take this warning and stop pushing ROMs with 10 slot kernel's till there can be a coded resolution. Happy Modding everyone.

2. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the disclaimer... i've been using 10slots since ERE25 roms first started popping up, but i'm switching to 5slot kernels for now :D

3. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And where is the proof that they are dangerous? You never explained why.

4. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using Droid mod and I trust the developers, I think I will take this recommendation serious.

5. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm not an expert or a coder, and this is the exact type of "you don't believe me" stuff I was talking about in the OP. However, if you want a technical explanation from an ACTUAL developer and not someone who is just passing information on to other users (i.e me). Then you can log into the irc channel and speak to sgx yourself.

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

choose a nick

join #droidmod

I'm just going off what I've been told by the developers (including the original kernel hacker Taz). Suite yourself if you want to fry your droid, it was just a fair warning to the rest of the community.

6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I just replaced Chevy's 5-slot 1.2Ghz kernel with his 10-slot 1.2 Ghz kernel. :icon_ banana:

DO I SMELL SMOKE??? :icon_ banana:

:icon_ devil:

7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I'm really glad you posted about this pthance....most people really don't know about this at all.

PS...and thanx for clarifying sgx=Taz :D

8. thatguychuck

thatguychuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Weird. I was thinking about this very thing today and loaded Chevy's 5 slot 1.0 kernel. I need to quit toying with my setCPU widget anyway, just load something that works and forget about it.

9. Larkitect

Larkitect Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just installed one of chevy's 5-slot kernels to replace his 10-slot i was using. i only used the 250/550/800/1000+ settings anyway, so better to err on the side of caution IMO.

10. smokndodge

smokndodge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the details on this subject but I have been using Chevy's 10 slot since it came out and I have not had a bit of an issue. No FC's, Shutdowns, Freezes, or Temps over 47 Deg. C. Even (while running GPS, Cardock, charging, full bright screen, and navigation for aprox. 55 minutes at a time). I don't think I would worry too much about it at this point. I do appreciate the information though...

11. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Me neither...I have *rarely* experienced issues like that, but it's the things you don't *see* that may permanently damage your phone

12. smokndodge

smokndodge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like to play. I am always doing what I can to try to tax my phones, computers, PSP, Xbox, truck, etc. With that said I would figure that if something was going to happen to the phone it would have happened by now. Trust me, I put the poor phone through the paces everytime I change a ROM, Kernel, or anything really. I have had ROM's and Kernel's bomb and some that have not. I have been on my current setup every since Chevy's 10 slot came out and haven't found an issue yet. All is good and I really am not trying to start anything I just don't want a mass hist aria starting over nothing. Sorta like the sky is falling or the Mars Invasion. I will say this, if anything does happen to my phone due to a 10 kernel well heck for that matter from anything I will be sure to post details and pics... :)

13. roberj13

roberj13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got a message from AdamZ saying he was having a conversation with sgx about this, I believe AdamZ's kernel has 8 slots. He said that sgx told him that too many slots can overwrite the OPP registry.

FWIW, I don't know what the OPP registry is, or what it does but he said it was not good.

14. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm reading an explanation in IRC right now. Basically the OPP registery is what controls voltage, by overwriting it you run the risk of a massive voltage spike and "poof". Broken Droid. Thats the gist of it. Still way more tech stuff involved...but there is the non-tech explanation that I didn't have before.

15. sportadic22

sportadic22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can some one show me to some 5 slot kernels... i am on this post..http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/27429-chevyno1-get-yer-kernels-here-ere25-only.html

i am currently running Smoked Glass V5.0 . 2.0.1 . chevys 10 slot 1.2ghz kernel. im running my phone at 1ghz.. no problems . but i tried installing the
    ChevyNo1 1.0Ghz 5slot update.zip + WIFI Module (125/250/550/800/1000)
    ChevyNo1 1.1Ghz 5slot update.zip + WIFI Module (125/250/550/800/1100)
    but both gave me bootloop at the M....
    idk what to do...