1 Week with the Nvidia Shield Android TV (2017)

Discussion in 'Cord Cutters Forum' started by pc747, Jan 24, 2017.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860

Having the shield tv a week now I am convinced that this may be the best set top box you can buy. Packaged in a small frame this powerhouse will not disappoint when it comes to providing the best experience you can find in a set top box plus with the added bonus of having the horses to handle gaming.

Let's not be fooled, this is not the device to replace your XBox or PS4 as it just do not have the top known game titles to do so. But if you are not a gamer and your Roku or Nexus Player feels outdated, then upgrade to the Nvidia Shield TV. It truly is a devices that I slept on when it was released 2 years ago. And even if you are a gamer this set top box may surprise you, just don't trade in your other console (PS4 or Xbox One) for it yet until Nvidia can find away to get those big releases.

• Like Like x 2
  2. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Nice review, thanks for sharing!
    Quick question, does the 2015 model offer 4k? You mentioned there not being many differences between the two, but I thought the implementation of 4K was one of them. Thanks!

S7 Edge tap'n

• Like Like x 1
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Yup, in fact here are a list of the differences between the two.

NVIDIA SHIELD (2017) review: Still the king for a reason

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Having the first gen Shield Android TV I can say I will be buying one of the new remotes with the double 2048 batteries in it. The one I have is rechargeable and it has such a short battery life. Its a daily charge device and thats obnoxious. The controller lasts much longer so we find ourselves using that instead because the remote is always needing a charge. If the double batteries lasts a couple weeks, maybe a month at most I'll happily spend $10 on Amazon for a pack of 20 batteries and have no problem changing them from time to time. The recharge is simply too frequent on the remote now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Street Fighter V | GeForce

^ hmmm, looks like SFV will be released in Feb.

I am going to have to do some digging. I may end up posting the latest popular releases for the Nvidia Shield as we have a few who have it and others who may be interested but wanting to get an idea what to expect.

6. Mark_V

Mark_V Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto G4 Plus
    I've very happy with mine as well. I had been using my smart TV from 2011 for streaming so this was a huge upgrade for me.

The only issue I've had so far is with powering it on sometimes. I use a harmony hub for my universal remote. I'm not sure if the issue is with the shield or harmony. But if the shield is turned off and back on rather quickly (a couple of sec) it (the Shield) hasn't wanted to boot back up when initially turned back on. I'll need to let it sit for several min and then turn it back on for it to boot up.

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    Perhaps you guys who have this device can help me out.

I have been looking to end my reliance on my satellite provider and "cut the cord".
    For months I have been looking at Android TV Boxes but don't understand where the savings are.
    My Satellite company has a pretty good selection of content. Living in Thailand, they provide the international or Asian version of said content and I want the US version.

Now, correct me if I am wrong. In order for me to get US TV programing and premium programing like HBO, I will need to subscribe to various services at a cost that could be a lot more than I pay now.
    Is this the case and if so what is the benefit of an Android TV Box?

BTW.. Not really interested in Gaming tho my kids would ...lol

UPDATE: I am going to start a new thread...

8. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    This is where you have to do the math to see if it works for you. Now the benefit for you being overseas is you can access a lot of programming legally that would be considered pirating for us. So for you your biggest savings will come from Kodi, especially for the realm of sports.

For my cable ended up being almost 200 a month between box rentals, channels, fees, etc.

Where as high speed internet solo was $30, Kodi was free, sling was $25, Netflix I had regardless so I didn't really treat it as a savings but for this let's throw in the $10. Rabbit ears are free, the 3 months of GOT was like $12 a month.

So I ended up paying $65 for 9 months and $77 for 3 months. So that was where I saw the savings.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    I'm not going to count the cost of internet and Netflix as I have the expense now and consider it fixed, TV Box or no TV Box.

So Sling $25.
    HBO Now 12.

10. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Just installed psvue app thanks to @Jeffrey thread and man so far it may be a player in the game. Ill have more feedback after using it for a few days. Now if only I could play ps4 games on the shield without a ps. Im all for paying for the game just not the system right now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    No Madden, not worth it. Pass on PS Now

Game Bucket

12. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Yeah, as badly as I'd love to have one, I've been putting off buying the PS4 since it came out. Between justifying the cost and not really having the time needed to invest any quality time into gaming, I've kinda lost interest.
    While the FireTV doesn't have the cool titles that the Xbox or PS has, it does have some really cool games if you're just looking to waste 20-30 minutes at a time, so it works for me.
    (For now)

S7 Edge tap'n

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

nvidia shield

nvidia shield news