1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

1% Accurate Battery Indicator for Motorola Phones!

Discussion in 'App Announcements' started by SJonesGSO, Aug 17, 2012.

1. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

[FREE][UTILITY]1% Accurate Battery Indicator for Motorola Phones!

NOW FEATURING THE ICS CIRCLE WIDGET THEME!
    View attachment 55959

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enceladus.motobattery

Hey all! I just finished and published my very first android app to the play store! Right now I'm looking for people to download it (for free) and let me know if it works correctly on their Droids.

It is designed to function on Motorola phones (droids) that report battery in 10% increments.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enceladus.motobattery
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Just an update! I've implemented a widget (we'll call it beta for now) to the app! Now you don't have to have the pesky notification to keep tabs on your battery level!

I'm in the process of working out some power consumption issues but all in all the app remains fairly lightweight.
  3. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Just another quick update! I've updated the widget so now it looks a lot nicer! And the app also has been updated for stability and other enhancements!

Still looking for feedback :)
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Congratulations on your new application. I'll check it out shortly and give my take on it then.

I might recommend you change the wording from "more accurately" to "with greater precision". The reason why is dividing a level of charge into smaller slices (i.e. 1/100 versus 1/10), does nothing to increase the accuracy of the meter, though it increases the precision of the meter representation. In fact, these meters were set to show 10% increments rater than 1% increments so as not to mislead the user due to the inherently inaccurate manner in which it estimates battery level along the discharge curve.

Since the voltages do not drop evenly across the discharged curve, the meter uses a supplemental reading of current to "guess" at the charge levels along the way. So essentially a 2 or 3 percent drop between the 10% and 20% levels can be significantly different than between the 40% and 50% levels, and also different than between the 90% and 100% levels. Choosing to show only 10% changes minimizes that effect.

It's sort of like your car's gas gauge, in that it is most accurate when near either full or empty but can be significantly inaccurate through the middle ranges.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  5. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Thanks for the input! I'm usually so careful about using precise / accurate! But in this case, you're definitely correct. I'll look into changing that shortly.
  6. FoxKat

I definitely prefer the simple, large numbers shown in the status bar for the percentages of battery level, rather than the smaller ones others user inside a battery icon. Your widget icon is also nice and clean, simple and effective. The shortcut to the battery usage screen is also simple and effective. The percentages match other 1% battery tools, so it's apparently using the same data source.

I would be interested in seeing an algorithm developed that learns the typical voltages for each owner's own battery and usage patterns at various percentages and tries to increase the accuracy of the remaining charge estimates over time. I would also like for it to remind owners to perform the meter training procedure every 40 complete 100% charge cycles, to assure maximum meter accuracy and to protect the owners from deep discharges, bootlooping and lack of response to chargers by forcing shut-down at 5% rather than 0%.

If you want some assistance and advice, please feel free to call on me.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  7. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Yes, most (all?) current 1% "hacks" for Motorola phones utilize the /sys/class/power_source/battery/charge_counter (I THINK that's right) file, which contains (bafflingly enough) the exact percentage of battery left in the phone.

I'm interested more in your comments - have you found the 1% increments provided by these apps to be inaccurate? Or otherwise not as accurate as phones with stock 1% capabilities are?
  8. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

I currently use gsam battery monitor & 3c battery monitor widget. I like the 3c's notification bar icon, notification area information on the time on battery, battery temp and voltage and once you open the app, the battery usage charts and battery stats on what is using the battery.

For gsam's, their notification icon does not appeal to me and the notification area information does not offer much of what I really need to know except for temp (I already know the percent from the notification bar icon and the time left is such an inaccurate estimate depending on what I end up doing). What I do like about gsam's is the battery usage info in the app.

In your app, I like the color and font style of the notification icon but would love it if it was twice the size. I love the style and info in the notification area. The only thing I wish it included was how long it has been running since the last charge. The battery percentage, voltage and temp info is exactly the same as the other battery apps so I feel confident in its accuracy.

I think it is a great app. If you added amount of time running since last charge, I would get rid of my 3c icon in the notification bar and only use yours for my notification area info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  9. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Well I'm flattered! Consider the "time spend running" on my to-do list and don't be surprised if you see that added in a coming update! As far as the notification size..Are you running ICS? I've noticed that it looks perfect on Pre-4.0 phones, but anything after Gingerbread and the size shrinks by a factor of two. That's also on my to-do list, but it keeps getting pushed to the bottom when I discover bugs, etc.
  10. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

Yes, I am on ics... it made notification bar info way too small. And thank you, I will definitely hold onto this and look forward to updates.

11. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Thanks for your advice! I am researching ways to make the notification icon larger..
  12. bruben7886

bruben7886 New Member

I like the simplicity. Volts, %, temp. Most of the time that's all I want to know! Like tismydroid, I'll hang on to it. :)
  13. FoxKat

Well it's a bit more complicated than simply saying that some are accurate and others are either not accurate or less accurate. Truth is that the same information is used by most (if not all) battery meter 1% hacks, but it's a matter of how that value is calculated and why it's inherently inaccurate, both as a total amount of available storage capacity at any one particular time in the battery's life, and also how it's inaccurate at any point in the charge/discharge cycle. Both have been proven time and time again not just on this forum but across all forums with regard to phones that use Lithium based batteries. The problem isn't with the phones or the metering systems, it's simply a matter of trying to track a dynamically moving target and place a linear value on it. Since voltages don't follow a nice straight line down from max to min while discharging, and also since discharge rates changes almost constantly, voltages vary quite widely, even going up during the discharge cycle at times.

Also, since the chemistry of the present Lithium batteries results in a non-linear charge/discharge curve, this ads to tree error rate and these cumulative errors throw of the meter and cause it to indicate incorrect values. All meter hacks do is take the single digit days that the phone attempts to average out by showing only 10% changes and instead show the more volatile 1% value changes resulting in reading changes that can appear to run contrary to actual use, such as large discharge during periods of rest our little movement during heavy use. This error rate is worst during the middle of the discharge curve when the voltages remain relatively flat compared to the step drops between 100% & 90%, and between 20% and 0%.

See the image below for some examples.

The first image shows over a 12 hour period of moderate use the voltages between about 70% and 10% indicated charge levels fluctuated wildly and even increased at times while power was being consumed even though no charge was applied. The second image shows that even over the longer timeframe of 24 hours and with virtually no phone use at all (phone remained idle), and over a tighter range of charge level percentages between about 75% & 40% the voltages still didn't follow the discharge curve being represented in percentage of remaining power, and again there were periods where voltages run opposite of or at rates of depletion less than that of the charge level indication.

Voltage isn't the only data used to estimate relative charge level but the result can be anywhere from fairly close to even dozens of percentage points away from actual State of Charge. This misinformation supplied by the phone has resulted in countless owners being left with a phone that won't wake or take a charge, even after just a short time prior having indicated charge levels of 30%, 40%, even 70% on done cases. This gets worse over time with repeated partial or full charge and discharge cycles while power is on. This is why it's important to train the meter approximately every 40 complete 100% charge/discharge cycles.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

Wow, cool beans! That was fast. Thanks for making the status bar icon bigger and thanks for adding time since last charge. Very cool indeed!

15. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

I'm glad I've been able to get updates out so quickly! Let me know if there are any other features you'd like to see.

If you notice any wokiness with the widget (not responding to touches, etc.) try removing it and adding it back...I think an update may have weirded it out until you remove it from the homescreen and add another one.
  16. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Just an update to tell y'all I've fixed a bug that caused the widget to stop responding to clicks after a while.

Let me know if there are more features you'd like! Or if you have advice on how to get this out to more people! I have 32 active installs right now! which is spectacular, but I'd really like to see that number grow. I realize it's an app with a limited market (Motorola phones, probably in the US), but if there's anything you all could suggest, that'd be great! :)
  17. drew96dawg

drew96dawg New Member

This is a pretty awesome app. I like how simple as well as informative it is:) one thing I would like to see is average battery life like is on gsam.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  18. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Thanks for your kind words! :) I'm curious how that's done, programatically speaking. I would assume that it tracks the average time to decrease by 1% and then extrapolates to a full battery, refining as it is used?
  19. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

Still happy to read any feedback anyone has :D
  20. SJonesGSO

SJonesGSO New Member

I've just added the much requested ICS theme (white/gray notification icons) to the app! Look for version 1.2.0 to be available in the play store soon!
Search tags for this page
accurate droid maxx battery widget
battery indicator one percent hack
battery percent motorolla no root
battery percentage droid x2

motorola 1 battery hack

motorola 1 hack

motorola 1 percent battery hack

motorola 1 percent hack

motorola 1% battery hack

motorola 1% hack

motorola battery hack