1.4.15 - Cannot open ANY settings without a FC

leutbneot

Reaction score
Didn't happen for the first two hours I had the ROM flashed. It was glorious. Best MIUI experience of my life by far. Then, all of the sudden, I couldn't open ANY setting without a FC. Now, I'm getting FCs all over the place, to the point where I'm going to have to re-flash and try a new kernel or something.

For reference, I started out using the stock kernel - OK. Then I used Chevy's 1.2 GHz LV (not uLV) kernel - OK also. Got a little wonky and bootlooped once, so I swapped it out for Liquid's 1200 MHz kernel (RZK or something) and was going great for a bit until everything went to hell on me. Now everything's force quitting, I can't get more than ten seconds of continuous uptime, and to make it all worse, I got a glimpse at the perfection I could be experiencing!

Any help? The FCs started when I tried to access the Settings, either by launching the app or by hitting Menu -> Settings in the Launcher, and then got progressively worse from there. Should I try a new kernel? Any recommendations?

ludi

Reaction score
Had the same problem. Go back to stock theme to fix it.

Every theme I applied caused the issue for me. Setting is any app caused that app to force close.

OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
I've gotten things a bit more under control, but this is still one squirrelly-ass ROM... nowhere NEAR as stable as the 1.3.8 I was running beforehand. It's a shame, because I really, really like all the changes, but I don't know how long I can put up with all the bugs. It's just too unstable; I feel like I'm walking on eggshells every time I press a button or try and use the Launcher.

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's probably theme related. I ran into this issue when I was theming mine. Mine was related to the size of the themed sliders, they were too big. Go back to stock if you don't feel like messing around with your theme

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Had the same problem. Go back to stock theme to fix it.

Every theme I applied caused the issue for me. Setting is any app caused that app to force close.

+1

Sure wish I could get this thing more stable because it is beautiful to the eyes!

Reaction score
When applying a theme scroll down and uncheck the themes button. It will theme most of the stuff

glange65

Reaction score
Hello all

Having the same issue....any edits to screens, settings etc. causes a launcher fc. I am still on the stock theme and have made no theme changes..so that is not the solution...any other ideas?

Droid OG
nothing else fancy...just getting started :)

mjh68

Reaction score
Hello all

Having the same issue....any edits to screens, settings etc. causes a launcher fc. I am still on the stock theme and have made no theme changes..so that is not the solution...any other ideas?

Droid OG
nothing else fancy...just getting started :)

Might just have a finicky phone that isn't playing well with this version. I had the same issues with 4.8. , but 4.15 is running beautifully. Might want to wait until the next version is released and ported.

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you are getting constant and continuous FCs, try redownloading the latest version and reflash with wiping cache/data. After the fresh install try accessing settings or whatever gives you a FC now to see if you get any FCs. If everything is working fine, then start installing / restoring all of your apps.

glange65

Reaction score
Help!!!

Thought I'd give 4.15 another try, wiped the darn thing several times, flashed the ROM a couple of times, manually installed the apps (what a pain), haven't touched the kernal or theme...

Launcher loves to FC on a regular basis. Sometime when trying to install a folder on a page, or opening "settings". I love 3.25...am I relegated to that back of the bus forever??? PS...this is what occurred the first time I tried flashing 4.15...constant launcher and app FCs

Isn't there ANYONE with an idea for a solution? Please?!?!? I'll beg...

glange65

Reaction score
Hooray

Well, as an update, I managerd to get 4.15 up and running...going smoothly so far, only one launcher FC in the last 3 hours since installing. Something about my apps was the issue I think...didn't like the market downloading???

Anyway, this method worked incredibly well...used the MIUI Backup to save all the apps while in 3.25. Then once in 4.15, used the MIUI File Manager to install the .apk files from the backup folder. Worked like a charm and was super easy.

Totally diggin MIUI!! I think I'm done trying ROMs for a while :)

glange65

Reaction score
Spoke too soon

Running MIUI 4.15 in Droid 1
Original theme
Have the launcher setting NOT keeping programs in memory, low-res graphics and no shadowing
No change to the kernel
No widgets
all to keep a consistent 50MB or more RAM open

Launcher is force closing constantly. Getting bad.

Anyone...please I need ideas. I love it too much to give up on yet

mrblackhp

Reaction score
Running MIUI 4.15 in Droid 1
Original theme
Have the launcher setting NOT keeping programs in memory, low-res graphics and no shadowing
No change to the kernel
No widgets
all to keep a consistent 50MB or more RAM open

Launcher is force closing constantly. Getting bad.

Anyone...please I need ideas. I love it too much to give up on yet

Try using the VM Heap Tool in the market to increase the VM Heap to 40m. I did this and it solved all my FC issues.

glange65

Reaction score
Thanks

Many Thanks for the suggestion. It's been about 3 hours and no FCs yet... If this work, I owe you cookies!!!