1.1.1 Sapphire Release and an Anoucement

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have Google search, Google maps, market. My sense is that there still are bugs in 1.1.1?

I don't want to have to use the emulator for anything.

I am going to go back to 1.0.

When do you think all the bugs will be removed?

Jim

These are not bugs. If you don't have market, you didn't install gapps.

Maps and Search can be downloaded from market and are not being included in gapps. If you have problems there are fixes posted in several places in this forum. If you don't want to use emulator, well, I don't know what to tell you.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I don't have Google search, Google maps, market. My sense is that there still are bugs in 1.1.1?

I don't want to have to use the emulator for anything.

I am going to go back to 1.0.

When do you think all the bugs will be removed?

Jim

Or that you didn't install gapps?

Trionalaw

Reaction score
sadly, I am not sophisticated enough to understand the previous reply. I don't understand why this was released if we have to do so many things to get these applications.

I know I will have replies to this telling me to learn more about how to do all this but frankly, I wish I had the time. I will to simply wait until someone says it installed with all the applications.

I do appreciate the developer creating these. I intend to give some money to the developer but only after the bugs are fixed.

Jim

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
or just do mv data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

one line instead of two :)

Negative. We had the mv in there originally and it no workie. It has to be copied. plaidman told us why in one of his posts but I don't remember. Something about going across partitions or something. In any case, the cp has to be used.

No reason why it shouldn't, but OK. I went with a soft link myself.

Believe me, we were just as confused. :) I used Root Explorer when I did it so I never had a problem, but, apparently the mv fails.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
sadly, I am not sophisticated enough to understand the previous reply. I don't understand why this was released if we have to do so many things to get these applications.

I know I will have replies to this telling me to learn more about how to do all this but frankly, I wish I had the time. I will to simply wait until someone says it installed with all the applications.

I do appreciate the developer creating these. I intend to give some money to the developer but only after the bugs are fixed.

Jim

ONCE AGAIN, this is NOT A BUG. You REALLY truly need to read the wiki page and stop calling this a bug.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

Jim

Google apps need to be installed separately do to legal reasons, so that the developer doesn't get a C&D.

If you like the simplicity of having everything in one install, I would recommend you try Bugless Beast or one of the stock builds.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
[rant]
This will be a very controversial opinion....but maybe they should make it REQUIRED to read the wiki and click the "yes, I understand why the GAPPS are NOT included in this rom" checkbox before allowing a download. I'm only half kidding.
[/rant]

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Can't get "voice search" to install, fails every time. Suggestions?

Try this:

[3] Google Search not updating in the market
(Stealing plaidman's AWESOME post on this one. Thanks!!!)
I answered my own question: GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

So after you do a fresh Sapphire install, if you want the updated Google Search Widget, you can do the following commands on your favorite command line tool (I like ConnectBot). Mind you, these instructions might be a hell of a lot easier with something like RootExplorer, but I'm a cheap ass and I'm comfortable with *nix command lines. Skip this first part if you uninstalled with TitaniumBackup.

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
reboot (dunno if you really need this, but just to be safe)

When the phone comes back, download the new Google Search in the marketplace. Now, unfortunately, the search button will be broken because it's still looking for the old /system/app application, but the new one was installed to /data/app. So we need to open our favorite command line tool again and move the .apk file.

su
sysrw
mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
reboot (again, not sure you need to do this, but it's safe)

And now your search button will work as it used to. Happy searching!

wingdo

Reaction score
[rant]
This will be a very controversial opinion....but maybe they should make it REQUIRED to read the wiki and click the "yes, I understand why the GAPPS are NOT included in this rom" checkbox before allowing a download. I'm only half kidding.
[/rant]

Both of the true proper built from source teams (cyanogen and ccroms) distribute their ROMs in the way required by Google. Google does not wish to have THEIR applications (i.e. not built from source) included in someone's build. This isn't a freaking bug, this is a matter of legality. The fact some ROMs do not follow the guidelines and requests from Google (i.e. UD, BB etc) does not make those who do "buggy", it makes them LEGAL.

I am becoming a fan of CW over SPR if only because it actually asks you if you want to install gapps during the select your ROM process.

But folks, please stop promoting FUD about Sapphire because they follow the rules and others do not.

Armyof2

Reaction score
[rant]
[/rant]

lol yeah i get that feeling sometimes too. answering the same questions over and over and over when the information is readily available. such is the way of the world though, some people read and do the research others don't.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
[rant]
[/rant]

Both of the true proper built from source teams (cyanogen and ccroms) distribute their ROMs in the way required by Google. Google does not wish to have THEIR applications (i.e. not built from source) included in someone's build. This isn't a freaking bug, this is a matter of legality. The fact some ROMs do not follow the guidelines and requests from Google (i.e. UD, BB etc) does not make those who do "buggy", it makes them LEGAL.

I am becoming a fan of CW over SPR if only because it actually asks you if you want to install gapps during the select your ROM process.

But folks, please stop promoting FUD about Sapphire because they follow the rules and others do not.

Ok, well, you express it better than me. :D This is absolutely spot on and 100% correct. I just get annoyed when people say they don't have time to read the wiki and find out what's going on with their install. They waste more time coming on here and saying how "buggy" it is (really?!) than it would take to just READ THE WIKI for 2 minutes. It's explained there fully. I understand it makes it "more difficult" to work with, but, it's one extra step. Is that really so bad? It allows us to have a source built rom that FOLLOWS THE RULES laid out by Google. And yes, CW rocks for this kind of rom for that very reason.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
[rant]
[/rant]

lol yeah i get that feeling sometimes too. answering the same questions over and over and over when the information is readily available. such is the way of the world though, some people read and do the research others don't.

I understand maybe missing the fact that GAPPS aren't installed the first time, but, to continue ranting that it's a bug after you've been told to read the wiki and that it's intentional is just not ok, really. And I don't just mean this latest instance of this. It's an all too common reaction to having to install the GAPPS separately. What that means is the education factor of this rom isn't working well. I'm not sure how to improve that other than the idea I put in my rant.

Trionalaw

Reaction score
if I had crow in my office I would now eat it. I had not downloaded the Google apps file. I now have market. I do not have Google maps.

Can someone direct me to a "how-to guide" to do that download of Google maps and Google search discussed in this thread?

Again, I apologize for my rant. Some other things were bothering me and I think I took it out on the forum. A totally low rent move on my part. This form has been exceedingly helpful to me. I therefore will eat some crow as soon as I find some on the side of the road.

Apologies again,

Jim

crspang

Reaction score
Can't get "voice search" to install, fails every time. Suggestions?

Try this:

[3] Google Search not updating in the market
(Stealing plaidman's AWESOME post on this one. Thanks!!!)
I answered my own question: GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

So after you do a fresh Sapphire install, if you want the updated Google Search Widget, you can do the following commands on your favorite command line tool (I like ConnectBot). Mind you, these instructions might be a hell of a lot easier with something like RootExplorer, but I'm a cheap ass and I'm comfortable with *nix command lines. Skip this first part if you uninstalled with TitaniumBackup.

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
reboot (dunno if you really need this, but just to be safe)

When the phone comes back, download the new Google Search in the marketplace. Now, unfortunately, the search button will be broken because it's still looking for the old /system/app application, but the new one was installed to /data/app. So we need to open our favorite command line tool again and move the .apk file.

su
sysrw
mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
reboot (again, not sure you need to do this, but it's safe)

And now your search button will work as it used to. Happy searching!

I've tried three times now. Keep getting "failed on /data blah blah blah cross-device link

Why was google search left out the gapps?