1.0 and LauncherPro Plus

Kid A

Reaction score
At the moment my Launcher Pro Plus 0.7.2 settings are as follows with Compcache turned on:

Keep in memory - not enabled
Motorola Droid hack - not enabled
Memory usage preset - Moderate
Homescreen cache type - Compressed
Build caches as needed - enabled
Clear caches on exit - enabled
Prevent force-closes - enabled
Number of docks - 1
Number of screens - 6
3d app drawer - not enabled

I am trying these settings out now and everything is very snappy, but I've found certain widgets (like Fancy Widget) drop a significant amount in quality when cycling between screens. Under stock settings the difference is negligible, but here it sticks out like a sore thumb. Would that be a result of moderate memory usage or compressed cache type? Keep in mind it only applies to that specific widget; the LauncherPro+ widgets and Power Control widget I use don't suffer from this at all. In fact, they look even better than they did before.

Otherwise, I haven't had a single redraw. When it comes to practicality vs. appearance, I'll definitely go with practicality. But I was curious.

captdroid

Reaction score
At the moment my Launcher Pro Plus 0.7.2 settings are as follows with Compcache turned on:

Keep in memory - not enabled
Motorola Droid hack - not enabled
Memory usage preset - Moderate
Homescreen cache type - Compressed
Build caches as needed - enabled
Clear caches on exit - enabled
Prevent force-closes - enabled
Number of docks - 1
Number of screens - 6
3d app drawer - not enabled

I am trying these settings out now and everything is very snappy, but I've found certain widgets (like Fancy Widget) drop a significant amount in quality when cycling between screens. Under stock settings the difference is negligible, but here it sticks out like a sore thumb. Would that be a result of moderate memory usage or compressed cache type? Keep in mind it only applies to that specific widget; the LauncherPro+ widgets and Power Control widget I use don't suffer from this at all. In fact, they look even better than they did before.

Otherwise, I haven't had a single redraw. When it comes to practicality vs. appearance, I'll definitely go with practicality. But I was curious.

Not sure, but have you tried enabling 'High Quality Scrolling' option under advanced settings? I just did and the other settings seem to remain the same and the graphics are noticeably better when scrolling. Now if enabling this option ends up degrading performance causing redraw I don't know. Still seems snappy to me. Running Launcher Pro Plus 0.7.3 now.

Kid A

Reaction score
Not sure, but have you tried enabling 'High Quality Scrolling' option under advanced settings? I just did and the other settings seem to remain the same and the graphics are noticeably better when scrolling. Now if enabling this option ends up degrading performance causing redraw I don't know. Still seems snappy to me. Running Launcher Pro Plus 0.7.3 now.

Also running 0.7.3 and enabling high quality scrolling made no difference, at least with Fancy Widget. I guess the issue is specific to that widget, cause I haven't found any others that act the same way.

brochaos

Reaction score
these settings work great...i just wonder what the heck it is about the docks that make it redraw.

captdroid

Reaction score

Also running 0.7.3 and enabling high quality scrolling made no difference, at least with Fancy Widget. I guess the issue is specific to that widget, cause I haven't found any others that act the same way.

Maybe try posting on the Launcher Pro forum and see what the developer thinks.

Edit: Just updated to Launcher Pro Plus 0.7.4 This DEV is on a rampage updating constantly with new features and fixes!

Artimis

Reaction score
these settings work great...i just wonder what the heck it is about the docks that make it redraw.

I don't think it is the Dock....it is the rotation to portrait mode.

Here's a question for you, do you have auto-rotate disabled in Launcher Pro or enabled? If it is enabled, see what happens when you:
1) Start in portrait mode on the homescreen
2) Initiate the browser
3) Rotate to landscape.
4) Hit the home button

Does a redraw occur? I know it won't when autorotate is disabled.....this is what I did to fix my issues in CM6. The dock forces a rotation (and so does opening a keyboard) which is still what causes this.

I'm thinking of making the move to Sapphire tonight so let me know how this scenario pans out.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just in case somebody isn't aware, when the launcher switches orientations, it has to be killed and restarted, thus having to redraw. No way around this.

hyatari

Reaction score
redraws happen to me anytime on any launcher (even stock) when starting any app in portrait sliding out keyboard and exiting the app (back/home button doesn't matter which) with keyboard still out. I've tried every combination imaginable in launcher pro and beyond. It's kind of getting on my nerves. definitely something in froyo causing this issue as I don't ever recall this problem on 2.1.

edit: should also add that compcache and even a backing swap partition don't cure this issue either. Sometimes redraws happen regardless of keyboard being out. exiting heavy mem/data apps cause it as well randomly. I've tried adjusting memory settings which usually just make it worse for obvious reasons I guess. anyhow i've tried everything.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
so what are the recommended settings for the LP by the DEV :)

brochaos

Reaction score
i have rotate disabled in LP. but, as was already confirmed, if you launch anything in portrait, flip out the keyboard, and then go home, you will always get redraw. just have to remember to close keyboard, then no redraw.

I don't think it is the Dock....it is the rotation to portrait mode.

Here's a question for you, do you have auto-rotate disabled in Launcher Pro or enabled? If it is enabled, see what happens when you:
1) Start in portrait mode on the homescreen
2) Initiate the browser
3) Rotate to landscape.
4) Hit the home button

Does a redraw occur? I know it won't when autorotate is disabled.....this is what I did to fix my issues in CM6. The dock forces a rotation (and so does opening a keyboard) which is still what causes this.

I'm thinking of making the move to Sapphire tonight so let me know how this scenario pans out.

Artimis

Reaction score
Just in case somebody isn't aware, when the launcher switches orientations, it has to be killed and restarted, thus having to redraw. No way around this.

I was not aware of this and don't quite understand the reason. I understand a redraw when the orientation is changed but not why it has to be killed and restarted. This is what takes so much time.

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
i have rotate disabled in LP. but, as was already confirmed, if you launch anything in portrait, flip out the keyboard, and then go home, you will always get redraw. just have to remember to close keyboard, then no redraw.

Does closing the keyboard prior to returning to the home screen prevnt redraw for you? I've been playing around with it for a while and it doesn't seem to matter with mine; once I open up the keyboard I can not prevent the redraw no matter what I do. I even close it, rotate the phone back to portrait and redraw still occurs ...

*EDIT* of course after typing this I closed the keyboard and returned to the homescreen without redraw :blush: Maybe I wasn't giving it enough time after closing the keyboard???

miasmata423

Reaction score

Does closing the keyboard prior to returning to the home screen prevnt redraw for you? I've been playing around with it for a while and it doesn't seem to matter with mine; once I open up the keyboard I can not prevent the redraw no matter what I do. I even close it, rotate the phone back to portrait and redraw still occurs ...

*EDIT* of course after typing this I closed the keyboard and returned to the homescreen without redraw :blush: Maybe I wasn't giving it enough time after closing the keyboard???

It's just the way that Android works currently. When you go into landscape mode, the bitmaps that were the backgrounds get discarded, and the bitmaps for landscape mode get loaded up where the protrait ones were. Essentially, the Android system destroys them in the background. The dev can't do much about it.

I put my memory usage on light, and redraws are pretty much gone. Light means that it compresses the pages so that it doesn't take as much memory, and therefore the Android system is less likely to take that memory for use on whatever you're doing, because, well, it's less.

Using the 50MB or whatever XMB scripts greatly exacerbates the redraw problem since you're forcing the system to try and reclaim memory (and hence discarding the screens) much, much sooner than Android would normally. Even the "keep in memory" option only does it's very best to try and keep it in memory. If the system NEEDS that memory because you've told it to free it with a script or through some massive game or something, the Android system WILL take it.

In short, run stock android. Compcache helps, and the lighter the memory usage setting in LauncherPro, the fewer redraws (but while scrolling your screens will look at bit more and more like heavily compressed jpgs).