0x7100 Error - RSD Lite

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by l-likari, May 21, 2010.

1. l-likari

l-likari New Member

Hey guys, I've been reading through the forums for the last few days trying to gather as much information as possible regarding rooting my Droid. I've gone ahead and decided to make the jump! Anyway, I've been following this tutorial:

How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid

When trying to install SPRecovery, I keep getting an immediate "Failure" notice, with the error message, "Failed flashing process. (0x7100); phone connected"

A little background information:
    - I am running Windows 7 64bit, and all recommended and optional system updates have been applied
    - I am running Android 2.1
    - I am running the correct version of RSD Lite (4.6)
    - I am using the correct SPRecovery file (ESE81)
    - I am running RSD Lite as an Administrator
    - I located ESE81 directly in the root drive (C:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf)
    - I have already downloaded and installed USB drivers via Motorola's website
    - My droid is recognized just fine, and Windows is able to successfully detect the device and install drivers on its own.
    - RSD Lite is able to recognize my device and draw information from it
    - I have both reinstalled drivers and restarted my computer multiple times
    - I have found command-line suggestions using cmd.exe and powershell, but haven't been able to get them to work.
    - I have also attempted this on my Windows XP SP3 machine, but have so far been unable to install the Motorola drivers (the install package is designed to look for C:\ to be my root drive, when my true root drive is actually I:\ [no idea how this happened, it's just been like that since the last reformat]).

Does anyone have any ideas? :/
  2. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

look at the error message, is your sdcard mounted or connected to a computer in any way? you should only need to connect the phone to a pc while flashing the 2.0.1 SBF via RSD lite, everything else can be done from the droid itself.
  3. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

I usually put the .sbf file on my desktop, but right now I can't remember where I read to do that, or even if it's correct.

Edit: Have you tried running in XP compatibility mode?
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

As silly as this sounds, have you tried other USB ports on your computer? And, just b/c you didn't mention it specifically, you did install the 64 bit usb drivers right, not the 32 bit?

I saw a post recently that had a strange error like that, and it ended up being that he was using a USB port on his computer that was the old version of USB.
  5. jntdroid

don't you have to flash sprecovery in order to initially get root access? either via adb, or update.zip?
  6. l-likari

l-likari New Member

First of all, I just want to thank all of you for your help and quick responses, the community here truly is amazing!!

brando:
    My SD card was not mounted to my computer in any way... and like jntowers said, I was trying to perform backups before rooting since I wanted to be sure everything went smoothly.

thatguychuck:
    I've tried running it in compatibility mode for both XP SP2/3 and Vista. If I tried loading the file from anywhere but C:\, the "Start" button would be greyed out.

jntowers:
    Actually, I haven't tried any of the other ports, and that could definitely have been the problem. I did get the 64-bit drivers, however.

In the end I ended up using a friend's computer, who is also running Windows 7 64-bit. Everything went quite smoothly from start to finish.

One thing that MAY have been the issue is that I had downloaded and installed WaveSecure. I'm not sure if the program could have blocked access, but I uninstalled it before trying his computer, so I'm not sure if the problem was the program or just my USB port.

Again, thanks!!
  7. jntdroid

glad you got it working! i've heard weird things about rsd and win7 64bit... they aren't great friends

8. yourhero88

yourhero88 New Member

I was going to start a new topic, but I am operating under identical circumstances as OP. Same OS, same error, same troubleshooting, same inconclusive results. Anyone know anything that might work?
  9. caslim

caslim New Member

I'm having the same problem as well. It is very weird that it works on some windows 7 and not others. There must be something that is causing it not to flash.

My error reads failed to flash 0x7100 phone connected. It also reads unable to retrieve initialization values when you click on start.

I have a motorola droid w/ 2.1 ota
    I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. I've tried re-installing the drivers and software 5 times. I have placed the sbf file in multiple locations. I have tried switching compatibility mode. I have checked admin permission. I have even tried running older versions. Still nothing will work.

Am I just destined to not root my phone? The main reason I want to root the phone is to give it some more speed.
  10. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

you guys try another USB port.. as dumb as it sounds, that has fixed many issues with RSD/win7....
  11. caslim

caslim New Member

oh ya. I left that one out accidentally. I tried all 6 ports :icon_eek:
  12. caslim

caslim New Member

This is the error I get everything single time:

15:26:42, June 08, 2010
    Line: 865
    ERROR: \\?\c:\sprecovery_ese81.sbfw@x´þÿÿÿ‚qwñrwð¥ê contains an invalid path.
    File: X:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\PST_FP_FlashFileIO.cpp

15:26:42, June 08, 2010
    Line: 542
    ERROR: The superfile specified does not exist
    File: X:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\FlashHdlr.cpp
    Device ID: 0
Search tags for this page

0x7100 phone connected

failed flashing process 0x7100

failed flashing process. (0x7100)
failed flashing process. failed flashing process. (0x7100) p
failed flashing process。