.09 vs .10 Baseband

nleksan

Reaction score
I have .09 and while signal isn't generally an issue, I do find that my phone doesn't do great with WiFi (at least not nearly as well as I expected going from a OG Droid's 2.4ghz WiFi-G to the GNex's 2.4G/5N Dual-Band; and I am connecting to a Linksys E4200 with DD-WRT Firmware and have the new Asus N66RT 450+450 router en-route (hehe, pun intended) along with 3 +12dBi "high-gain" omnidirectional dual-band antenna to replace the ones that come with it), regardless of how good the signal is. Sitting here right now, on my laptop with a 3-Antenna Dual-Band WiFi card and the E4200 (with signal output up from the stock 35mW to 115mW) and my Galaxy Nexus right next to me, LINE OF SIGHT with ZERO possible forms of interference, unplugging my Cat6E cable and going to WiFi I am pulling 218Mbs Down (NAS), while my GNex FROM TEN FEET AWAY is one-bar-short of a full WiFi signal and managing a whole 42Mbs...
Ironically, since my laptop is always plugged in when I'm home, it's MAC address is listed as "lowest priority WiFi Device" (although no QoS for Wired; I do it because I disable the WiFi antenna on the laptop when it's plugged in, as there are as many as 12-15 wireless devices in the house at any given time so no need to add another), and that is the only "filtering" I do and it's only there in case I forget to turn the laptop's radio off. Just to see, I put in my GNex's MAC Address as "TOP Priority - Ignore any other clients that might slow/interfere-with this device's connection", and I got it up to a whole 48Mbs... That is with my first-floor's access point disconnected (a 600mW Dual-Band "N" Repeater feeding: 3 PC's, HD DVR, 47" LED-LCD "Smart" TV), Linksys 500Mbs Ethernet-over-Powerline Adapter disconnected (including the 2 EoP receivers, one in first floor office and one in basement; and one EoP WiFi Range Extender on far side of house), the basement's Access Point disconnected (Linksys Media Hub w 4x GbEth ports and Dual-Band 2.4/5ghz G/N which is connected to PoE Adapter as well as pulling signal from 1st floor AP; this is providing Internet/Network access to my 55" LED-LCD "Smart" TV, HD-DVR, XBox 360, PS3, 9.3ch Receiver, and Blu-Ray Player). Cordless phones operate far outside the 2.4-2.5/4.9-5.1ghz ranges (I think they are 3.8ghz?), and there is no other interference.
Oh, and Internet Access is Time Warner Cable 50Mbps Down and 25Mbps Up (realworld tests have given results as high as 82Mbps down and 65Mbps up; might've been a fluke, as they are usually a very consistent 48-55Mbs/23-27Mbs Up/Down), and that is with a Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS3.0 cable modem, and ALL ethernet cables are CAT6A or CAT6E, plus the Powerline-Ethernet works great as the wiring in the house is only a decade old and was done extremely well with thicker-than-spec gauge wiring (Linksys PoE advertises 500Mbps, though that is lab-testing in ideal circumstances; still, if I set them up in the same room, I get ~340-390Mbs throughput, on the first floor I get ~295-340Mbs, and in the basement I get ~245-280Mbs; in a >6,000sq*ft house).
My point is, INTERNET, ETHERNET, and WIFI ARE NOT THE ISSUE!! I have gone to great pains to ensure that.

Second issue is terrible battery life, regardless of the fact that I have done EVERYTHING I have been suggested, outside of rooting the phone as I am hoping VZW will honor my decade-long history with them and/or respond to threats of "I PAID $300 CASH, YOU REFUSED ME MY UPGRADE CREDIT, AND NOW YOU WANT TO GIVE ME A "REFURB"?????? Do you happen to know where the nearest ATT store is?", and give me a brand-new unit, if it turns out there is a significant issue with my phone (and not just the network).

THIRD ISSUE
In the last 2 days, I have had 4 random reboots... That is one more than had happened IN THE ENTIRE TIME PRECEDING TUESDAY! Once, it happened while I was using it, once while it was on the charger, and TWICE while it was in my pocket (pocket that does not feasibly allow for the power button to be accidentally held down, much less held down, let go of, then held down again). The two times it was in my pocket, I didn't even realize it had reboot until I realized that apps which are normally kept disabled, weren't, so I looked at the up-time and saw it was 1h02m (it should have been about 18hrs) and the second time 0h14m (when it should have been 6hrs+).

Sorry for the novella...

Does anyone know for sure if there is an actual hardware difference between "0.9" and "0.10"? Everything I read sounds vague, and the few pieces that don't sound vague, sound like they are giving a "confident best guess"....

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Well then lets get somebody with the .10 baseband and copy theirs!!!!

Its not a BASEBAND!!!!!! I said this in the first post i posted(post #4) people(not just talking to you big ry, but to everyone saying its a baseband). Its a hardware revision. You cannot change this. It has to do with hardware, not software. It has to do with something physical on the phone. This cannot be change.

Google has said that there is not a hardware change, even though there is 2 different hardware versions.

one person has had each version side by side. No difference in signal, no difference in anything. .09 is made in korea, and .10 is made in china.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Its not a BASEBAND!!!!!! I said this in the first post i posted(post #4) people(not just talking to you big ry, but to everyone saying its a baseband). Its a hardware revision. You cannot change this. It has to do with hardware, not software. It has to do with something physical on the phone. This cannot be change.

Google has said that there is not a hardware change, even though there is 2 different hardware versions.

one person has had each version side by side. No difference in signal, no difference in anything. .09 is made in korea, and .10 is made in china.
Its listed directly under "baseband", so we have every reason to believe it's a baseband. I'm not saying youre wrong, just justifying the argument.

Well do you have any info on this? What is your source for this information? Can everyone confirm this? My GN is .09 and says "made in Korea", so so far so good lol

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Its listed directly under "baseband", so we have every reason to believe it's a baseband. I'm not saying youre wrong, just justifying the argument.

Well do you have any info on this? What is your source for this information? Can everyone confirm this? My GN is .09 and says "made in Korea", so so far so good lol

yep there have been many topics on rootz and xda about it.....ill see if i can find them.

if i go into fastboot it says HW revision 10

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1433963&highlight=09+vs+10

theres more.....im just to lazy to go threw 100's of threads.

Last edited:

Big Ry

Reaction score
yep there have been many topics on rootz and xda about it.....ill see if i can find them.
I dont frequent other forums, although I realize forums like XDA are much more in tune with the technical side of the mobile world. Any links you could provide would be great DancingNexus

hollowbox

Reaction score
.09.....flawless wifi, 3g, and 4g. Never have a signal issue, battery life is awesome...etc.etc. I am lucky I guess.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

if i go into fastboot it says HW revision 10

Anyone on Baseband 1515.10 V.EK05 / 1515.EK02 Stock VZW GNX? - xda-developers

theres more.....im just to lazy to go threw 100's of threads.

I just read all 20 pages of that thread! The consensus is it's hardware and the two are not much different in any way, shape or form. One of the members has two phones (one with each version) to compare.

jerroedr

Reaction score
And I was about to get pissed and demand a "new" gnex! lol! I would rather have a S. Korean phone than a chinese phone!

captdroid

Reaction score
And I was about to get pissed and demand a "new" gnex! lol! I would rather have a S. Korean phone than a chinese phone!

+1 :D I was just about to say the same thing! I rather have the Korean made phone :biggrin: Mine reads .09

???

Reaction score
. 09 here..

stock baseband was iffy, flashed up to the 4.0.3 ones and got better. pretty much fine. small hand off lag some times inside buildings. when up to the 4.0.4 and it was worse by far than the other 2...

i was wonderful if the 4.0.4 leak didn't have .10 radios in it. that's why my .09 didn't like it. but sounds like it shouldn't make a difference

Ultramontanist

Reaction score
For what it's worth, mine is .10, but is made in Korea. At least that is what it says.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jerroedr

Reaction score
uh-oh! now we really need to find a difference!