0.4 stopOTA update.zip broke the overclock script

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Airbot, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Airbot

Airbot New Member

Was trying to figure out why running the cpuinfo script from Android Terminal, it would only show current cpu frequency speed at 599.xx today. I checked it for awhile, it wouldn't ever display what it should have been at 799.xx.

This is a Droid 1, running 0.4 with chevyNo1 lv 0.8, since it came out.

Ran a couple tests to see if it was just a problem with the terminal, but it is indeed not applying the 800mhz like it always has. I had made a backup a few days ago, so I restored that, and it was showing at 799. again. Updated a few apps, rebooted and checked again - normal.

Installed the Droid2 live wallpaper, and switched the Droid X boot animation to the Droid2 boot animation I got on droid-life.com with the switchboot script. Rebooted and checked, all good still.
    Then I downloaded and applied the stopOTA update.zip again, and went through RM to boot into recovery and install it again as I had the frist time. Then checked cpuinfo. And it was again at 599.xx mhz.

I had made a copy of the build.prop file before I did this, and so I overwrote the new build.prop to the old one, rebooted and it's back to 799.xx.
    I had also tried the fixperm script the first time I noticed this. Gave me some error, (can't recall) but it didn't apply itself either. So not positive but other scripts might have been broken by it too.

Also not sure if it may be having a possible conflict with the specific chevy kernel or not, but I did install the newest chevy lv 0.8 froyo kernel to see if that would fix it the first time, and it didn't. I have been using the slightly older chevy froyo lv 0.8 kernel all the time I've been using 0.4 without any problems.

I dont use SetCPU, I just use the overclock script Pete puts in the ROM.

Not saying it breaks it for everyone else, just saying it does for my setup.
  2. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

Why are you applying something called stopOTA update.zip in the first place?

In case you didn't know, Both custom recoveries (ClockworkMod and SPRecovery) will block the OTA update on their own, without any need to apply any such stopOTA update.zip.
  3. psiuglen

psiuglen New Member

Probably because boss man says we should if running 0.4?

das linky

guess I will see what happens with setcpu when I do this, probably a good time to make a backup as well. Looks like it's been an interesting couple of weeks I've mostly missed (vacation and back to work while all the updates have been rolling out).

4. D-phone

D-phone New Member

I just got through installing setcpu and then put the stopOTA on and all is fine. I'm running 0.4 with cpu set to 800.
  5. Wrenbjor

Wrenbjor New Member

I have been running custom roms sense the 1st week moto droid got root, I installed bugless v0.4 (Froyo 2.2 C_01.3E.01P) and I just got an OTA notification. I am assuming that if I do it I will loose root and all my other fun features but I think that is why there is something called stopOTA and now I need to find it :)
  6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

Just accept the OTA update. It will fail, and the notifications will stop.
  7. jmeden

jmeden New Member

Anyone have any idea why Pete says to install this if the custom recoveries block it anyways? There has to be some good reason he made it.
  8. DoubleW720

DoubleW720 New Member

Clockworkmod and SPRecovery do block the update from INSTALLING if you hit download and apply. However as some people noticed and told pete, the update service notices again that you are still on FRF84b, and tells you to download the update again, thus annoying you and draining battery.

This script is supposed to change your phones info into tricking the update service into thinking you are running FRG01, therefore no longer prompting you to update. However, I havn't tried it yet, but I can only assume it works as advertised.
  9. TheFarmerDeBoer

TheFarmerDeBoer New Member

Just installed stopOTA and it stole my root, no root applications work anymore.
  10. Airbot

Airbot New Member

^ What he said.

Overclocking works fine if you use SetCPU, and have it installed. Have you tried it with just using the 800mhz overclocking script built into 0.4, and no SetCPU? This is what I'm referrring to.

The point isn't a debate on whether or not you need to use the stopOTA, the point is that I tried and tested it. It breaks stuff for me, and maybe someone else can confirm the same.
  11. TheFarmerDeBoer

Definitely broke things for me, I guess don't understand how I can be running bugless beast but not have root access.
  12. phreek

phreek New Member

Well crap. I just got the ota notification this morning. I'm running v.4 as well. I hope that script doesn't screw me up too.
  13. nnelzen

nnelzen New Member

I installed just as Pete said and haven't had any issues.
    Running bb v0.4 with 2.6.32.9-P3Droid overclocked at 1100.
  14. kdmhongshi

kdmhongshi New Member

Lmao, mine doesn't block the OTA update. And if it did, why would Peter go out of his way to make a statement about getting the OTA, better yet, making the stopOTA.zip? IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW ALREADY..
  15. johfiner

johfiner New Member

yep, stopOTA broke the overclock script for me too. The cpuinfo script shows 600 mhz instead of 800 :(

edit: also I'm not rooted anymore...
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  16. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette New Member

Overclocking broken here too. Any fix?
  17. Jboxen

Jboxen Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Overclocking also broken for me.
  18. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette New Member

To be clear, I reinstalled SetCPU, and that allows overclocking to run, but my phone was much smoother and had better battery life when I wasn't running SetCPU and letting Pete's script do its thing.
  19. BloodiedWraith

BloodiedWraith New Member

Yeah I had to install SetCPU against my best wishes. I would just roll back to the update before I installed the stopota.zip, but my problem is I just figured it'd be fine and didn't backup and my last backup is like 2 weeks old. The lesson I learned is I'm going to do backups on my ROM before I add anything, even if it's from Pete who has never done me wrong =P

Hopefully a fix comes soon (or Bugless Beast V.05)
  20. TheFarmerDeBoer

Exactly what happened to me. What did you do to fix it? I'd go to a backup... if I had one.