0.2 kernels crappy if no overclock?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by aggiechase37, May 7, 2011.

1. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 New Member

So I had the 800mhz 0.2 kernel installed, and for me it seemed to run laggy. Also overheated a lot. I was running the 600mhz kernel, which seemed to run much faster and cooler. But I didn't do anything to overclock the 0.2 kernel. I'm wondering, are slot issues to blame? I eventually ran into a bootloop and had to do a battery pull to get into recovery. Now I've reinstalled the 0.2 800 mhz kernel along with the autooverclock.zip. But I'm worried about battery life and overheating. I was quite enjoying the 30+ hours of battery life that the 600mhz 0.1 kernel was producing. Anyone else have any insight?

I read on Pete's blog (or somewhere, can't remember) that if you don't OC the kernel it will just clock down to 600mhz, which he made it sound like that would be the same as having the 0.1 600mhz kernel. But this didn't seem to be the case. Curious if anyone else ran into anything like this?

My thinking it must be a slot issue, because if you don't OC then a kernel would be limited to lesser slots, which perhaps the phone did not seem to appreciate.
  2. DigiK

DigiK New Member

The 800 slot on Pete's kernel is potentially undervolted for your phone, causing lag and heat issues.

I'd suggest grabbing the latest de-primed kernel and prime's custom Milestone overclock module to begin experimenting with your own voltages, since you'll have a higher likelihood of achieving better performance and battery life by customizing the overclock to your specific hardware. I've outlined the steps below, but you should go read the Deprimed thread to to familiarize yourself with the concepts: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cyanogenmod/127262-kernel-deprimed_test-break-if-you-can.html

Kernel Installation
    Grab the latest kernel from http://bit.ly/deprimed_test and install with CWM. Following kernel installation and reboot, install the custom Milestone OC application from http://bit.ly/dpoverclock

Open terminal emulator. Get superuser by typing "su" and pressing return, then "primed". ULV overclock voltages will be loaded, which includes a top slot of 900@60v, along with an 20overclock file in /system/etc/init.d/ that you can edit to your liking.

Test Setup
    After you've initialized the deprimed overclock script, start with your max frequency - 900 in this case. Refer to Pete's freq/voltage chart for starting values: Peter Alfonso
    Stock values are a bit conservative for most OG Droids, so I'd recommend trying P3 voltages as your 'standard' starting voltage or 900 at 66. In Milestone overclock, slide the slider all the way to the right, and set a max slot of 900@66 and apply.

Next lock your overclock app in at 900 for both min and max. Run Linpack about 5-7 times to note the average peak performance for that frequency.

Next begin stepping down the voltage with the Milestone overclock app. Decrease in steps of 2 volts per test run. Run another set of Linpack tests and note your performance numbers at that voltage step. Return to Milestone OC and continue repeating the test set with each consecutive voltage step.

At some point, you'll begin to notice the benchmark score deteriorates and your phone begins turtling (lagging) when the processor is voltage-starved. Look at your notes, and choose the the lowest voltage that doesn't appreciably deviate from peak performance at standard voltage. To verify stability, run Quadrant a few time. Congrats, you've just undervolted your max frequency slot!

Next move to your minimum frequency slot at 250 and find it's minimum stable voltage. Find a standard starting voltage from the chart, and now set that freq/voltage in the custom slot of the Milestone O/C app. Though it's technically the max slot, we're just using this as a test bed, so you'll notice your clock speed in setCPU will now be locked at 250. From here, repeat the test procedure I outlined above.

Evaluating the Results
    At this point, open up the 20overclock file and note Prime's frequency steppings. If coincidentally you find your minimum stable voltage for min/max frequencies to match Prime's, you're probably quite safe to use his settings, as they work well for a lot of phone. If it's not quite a match, proceed to the next section.

At this point you can continue repeating the procedure to accurately find stable minimum voltages for each frequency or you could stop and interpolate steppings for all 7 slots based on min & max frequency minimum stable voltage data you found. Look at the Low Voltage Avg column on Pete's chart and find the voltage difference for 250-350 and find a best fit. Repeat best fit for each stepping.

Editing 20 overclock w/ new voltages
    To make your new voltages permanent and automatic. (you won't need to use Milestone overclock app every time) Navigate to /system/etc/init.d/ with Root Explorer. Save a backup of the 20overclock scriptand edit the 20overclock file in the text editor. Looking at the file, the slots will be listed in ascending order. Scroll down to the entry 'echo "60"'. 60 is the voltage, 900000 is the top slot. Change your values for each slot accordingaly, and save the file. Reboot your phone for the new settings to take effect.

Conclusion and Tips
    I've outlined a quick method for custom overclocking your device, but I do recommend testing only one slot per day. In the event of instability during regular use, you'll know exactly which frequency and voltage caused the failure. Though it's important to get all the slots right, the lowest and highest are most critical, since your device will spend most of it's time at these frequencies. Find these first, and the middle slots will be cake via interpolation.

It's also worth noting that I've spoken with Quickclock's developer @PandaPaul about adding OG Droid compatibility and a per-frequency breakdown to the stress test. He's hoping to add it to a future version.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
Search tags for this page

xt701 /system/etc/init.d/overclock