DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice Issues

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Google Voice Issues

I posted this in the BB forum but wanted to double check here since I am using Darkedge:

I recently updated the Google Voice application about a week ago and it seems to have broken the app. When I reboot my phone I get a few force closes with the app and in my app drawer instead of an icon with Voice it says Compose and when I click it it force closes. I have tried to uninstall the app via the market and the settings menu on my phone and the uninstall option is greyed out. Is there a way where I can force uninstall the application?

Also, I am wondering if this is related to the Darkedge theme I am currently running, because of the App-to-System tool that it uses.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855
    Quote Originally Posted by wrwarwick View Post
    I posted this in the BB forum but wanted to double check here since I am using Darkedge:

I recently updated the Google Voice application about a week ago and it seems to have broken the app. When I reboot my phone I get a few force closes with the app and in my app drawer instead of an icon with Voice it says Compose and when I click it it force closes. I have tried to uninstall the app via the market and the settings menu on my phone and the uninstall option is greyed out. Is there a way where I can force uninstall the application?

Also, I am wondering if this is related to the Darkedge theme I am currently running, because of the App-to-System tool that it uses.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with the Dark Edge installation over the a recently updated version of Google Voice... which Dark Edge apparently doesn't support.

I was having this same problem and so I just forced uninstalled it. So pretty much what I did was I used Root Explorer and navigated into /system/app (its located here because DarkEdge tools moves it for you in the themeing process) and found the GoogleVoice.apk and deleted it. After this I just did a reinstall of the app and DID NOT theme it with Dark Edge. Worked fine ever since.
    meh
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Yea I asked this in the main DE thread.. and Kov said the update to GV essentially broke the app if you had it themed, so the only way to get around this is to uninstall and reinstall the unthemed version or reinstall the older version... now since you have DE installed I'm guessing you used the A2S tool and GV is in /system now, which means you can't uninstall it from the market, so you can either use root explorer to delete it which is the easiest way, or you can use a terminal emulator to delete it if you don't want to pay for root explorer (this is also easy but I don't remember the scripts by heart, so you'd have to search for them, sry).
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMace23 View Post
    Yea I asked this in the main DE thread.. and Kov said the update to GV essentially broke the app if you had it themed, so the only way to get around this is to uninstall and reinstall the unthemed version or reinstall the older version... now since you have DE installed I'm guessing you used the A2S tool and GV is in /system now, which means you can't uninstall it from the market, so you can either use root explorer to delete it which is the easiest way, or you can use a terminal emulator to delete it if you don't want to pay for root explorer (this is also easy but I don't remember the scripts by heart, so you'd have to search for them, sry).
    Yeah I was able to get it removed with Root Explorer. Didn't realize that the theme didn't work with it.

Thanks.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855
    Ok so now the we all have Google Voice back, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to edit some xml files to make the text from black to white. Its kinda of a pain to read within Google Voice... or maybe we'll just have to be patient and wait for a new theme file. Just curious if any of you pros out there know of a quick fix.
    meh
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    davekover
    Phone
    D1/X & Tbolt
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamko101 View Post
    Ok so now the we all have Google Voice back, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to edit some xml files to make the text from black to white. Its kinda of a pain to read within Google Voice... or maybe we'll just have to be patient and wait for a new theme file. Just curious if any of you pros out there know of a quick fix.
    We'll have GV brought back up to speed soon™. Thanks for your patience.
    Check me out on the market. Search "pub:kovdev"
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Koveleski View Post
    You guys are the best, thanks. Google Voice is an essential app for me!

Question: I followed the method described earlier on deleting Google Voice from the System\app section and then redownloading from the market.

However, even after doing this and not applying any themes my Google Voice is still black and nearly impossible to read. Wasn't the fresh market version supossed to clear the incompatible themed version?
    Last edited by Doombot; 07-27-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Project Elite v5.0.1 GB
    RaidZero 1.1Ghz
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    davekover
    Phone
    D1/X & Tbolt
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koveleski View Post
    You guys are the best, thanks. Google Voice is an essential app for me!

Question: I followed the method described earlier on deleting Google Voice from the System\app section and then redownloading from the market.

However, even after doing this and not applying any themes my Google Voice is still black and nearly impossible to read. Wasn't the fresh market version supossed to clear the incompatible themed version?
    GoogleVoice, when unthemed and using the DarkEdge UI, has a lot of hard to read text. When it gets 'themed', we are pretty much just fixing all the BoB/WoW issues.

So by advising you to re-download and not re-theme, its just so that you can use the app, albeit with the difficult to read UI because theming the update version actually breaks the program so you can't even open it at all without FCs.
    Check me out on the market. Search "pub:kovdev"
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I would also love a fix for Google Voice. It's the only thing I don't like about the theme right now. Oh, and could you please let us know when it is ready? Thanks!
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    if anyone has the a backup copy of the apk before google voice updated, you could use it while you wait for the theme to be updated.

could you also post the apk for download (assuming it allowed).

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links