DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon 4G LTE phones all unlocked ???

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II

Verizon 4G LTE phones all unlocked ???

Just got off the phone with a Verizon Global Travel Group rep. She tells me that all Verizon 4G LTE phones are unlocked and that I am free to use anyone's sim card. I asked because I plan to go back to Costa Rica shortly and I would like to buy one of the ICE sim cards in the airport baggage claim area at San Jose on arrival. This would be a big savings over the global data plan.

Can anyone tell me if that's true?
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Certainly not phones issued here in the US, but perhaps that's true of overseas phones. A new law was just placed into effect here in the US that makes unlocking phones from the primary carrier a crime with stiff penalties.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Certainly not phones issued here in the US, but perhaps that's true of overseas phones. A new law was just placed into effect here in the US that makes unlocking phones from the primary carrier a crime with stiff penalties.
    Always pays to check. I'm in the U.S. Strange they would tell me that but I've gotten bogus info from them before. Guess I'll call them back again and see what they say. Do you have a link to the new statute/regulation???
  4. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    What the rep told you is correct. Every Verizon LTE device is 100% SIM unlocked right out of the box. They're all SIM unlocked for LTE use, and all of the phones that have working GSM are also GSM unlocked for use outside of the U.S. (and some of them are unlocked for GSM use in the U.S.).

What FoxKat is talking about doesn't apply here. The new regulation is about unlocking a carrier locked phone on your own. Verizon's LTE phones come SIM unlocked from Verizon, so no unlocking is needed. This is done in part because Verizon is required to have unlocked devices due to the agreement that was in place when they purchased some of their LTE spectrum.

What phone do you have? Some LTE devices (such as the Thunderbolt and the Galaxy Nexus) don't have GSM radios, so they won't work for what you need. The only Verizon LTE devices with GSM radios that need some extra tinkering are the Galaxy S3 and the Note 2. They're both 100% SIM unlocked, and you can pop in an international SIM card get voice right away, but the APN settings for data aren't accessible in the stock software. You have to root in order to change those (which isn't against the regulation noted by FoxKat because you're not unlocking anything). Nothing needs to be changed on either device if you just want to be able to make calls and send texts, but you'll have to be able to change the APN settings if you want data. All of the other Verizon LTE devices that have GSM support enabled are good to go.
    Last edited by bsweetness; 01-31-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    A new law was just placed into effect here in the US that makes unlocking phones from the primary carrier a crime with stiff penalties.
    It's not a new law, but a bizarre interpretation of the DMCA by the cell carriers. DMCA is designed to protect intellectual material. I doubt they will be able to prevail should they even attempt to go to court. Time will tell.
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member

Re: Verizon 4G LTE phones all unlocked ???

Quote Originally Posted by SteamJockey View Post
    It's not a new law, but a bizarre interpretation of the DMCA by the cell carriers. DMCA is designed to protect intellectual material. I doubt they will be able to prevail should they even attempt to go to court. Time will tell.
    Actually, it's the Library of Congress that made the interpretation, not the cell carriers. That makes it all seem even more bizarre.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    but you'll have to be able to change the APN settings if you want data.
    Do you know how I do that. I don't know a thing about rooting.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Actually, it's the Library of Congress that made the interpretation, not the cell carriers. That makes it all seem even more bizarre.
    The law itself has never changed the EFF abd Consumers union asked the courts last year for exemptions which were granted. The exemption for unlocking was short lived. Here's what the EFF had to say, in part:

https://www.eff.org/is-it-illegal-to-unlock-a-phone

What changed? The DMCA prohibits "circumventing" digital locks that "control access" to copyrighted works like movies, music, books, games, and software. It's a fantastically overbroad law that bans a lot of legal, useful, and important activities. In what's supposed to be a safety valve, the U.S. Copyright Office and the Library of Congress have the power to create exemptions for important activities that would otherwise be banned by the DMCA. In 2012, EFF asked for - and won - exemptions for jailbreaking or rooting mobile phones to run unapproved software, and for using clips from DVDs and Internet video in noncommercial vids. Consumers Union and several smaller wireless carriers asked for an exemption for unlocking phones. The Copyright Office granted their exemption too - but sharply limited the window to just a few months.

First, the good news. The legal shield for jailbreaking and rooting your phone remains up - it'll protect us at least through 2015. The shield for unlocking your phone is down, but carriers probably aren't going to start suing customers en masse, RIAA-style. And the Copyright Office's decision, contrary to what some sensational headlines have said, doesn't necessarily make unlocking illegal.

Unlocking is in a legal grey area under the DMCA. The law was supposed to protect creative works, but it's often been misused by electronics makers to block competition and kill markets for used goods. The courts have pushed back, ruling that the DMCA doesn't protect digital locks that keep digital devices from talking to each other when creative work isn't involved. And no creative work is involved here: Wireless carriers aren't worried about "piracy" of the software on their phones, they're worried about people reselling subsidized phones at a profit. So if the matter ever reached a court, it might well decide that the DMCA does not forbid unlocking a phone.

It would seem were back to 2011 and we were unlocking then and no one was prosecuted. Other links suggest it doesn't apply to phones purchased before 26 jan. I don't know what to think. Most of us just want to buy inexpensive sims overseas and aren't interested in switching carriers. If I'm under contract to Verizon and I switch to AT&T, Verizon would be the big winner. I'm off to AT&T and not using Verizon yet they are still billing me whether or not I used it. Sounds like they are no brighter than RIAA
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    What the rep told you is correct. Every Verizon LTE device is 100% SIM unlocked right out of the box. They're all SIM unlocked for LTE use, and all of the phones that have working GSM are also GSM unlocked for use outside of the U.S. (and some of them are unlocked for GSM use in the U.S.).

What FoxKat is talking about doesn't apply here. The new regulation is about unlocking a carrier locked phone on your own. Verizon's LTE phones come SIM unlocked from Verizon, so no unlocking is needed. This is done in part because Verizon is required to have unlocked devices due to the agreement that was in place when they purchased some of their LTE spectrum.
    Well bsweetness, thanks for the clarification. I suppose I am just as naive as most others about this. I am unfortunately now more confused than before. If you can use a sim from another carrier on this phone, then what's all the hubub about regarding unlocking the phones from the carrier? Are you saying that Verizon phones are NOT locked to Verizon and that new law is irrelevant with respect to Verizon customers? Not that I would need to for my own purposes, but I certainly don't want to be giving bad advice.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    FoxKat:

Only the 4G LTE phones from big red come unlocked. all others are still locked. DMCA was enacted in 1998. During a very short period starting sometime in 2012 till Jan 2013 an exception was granted. It expired 26 Jan. I think Verizon will move away from locked phones.

After doing some reading at EFF I'm thinking DMCA is irrelevent to locking hardware. It was intended to protect intellectual rights. Hardware is protected by Trademark and software is protected by Copyright. No one tries to tell me I cannot take my Ford to a Chevrolet dealer for repair. Really a stupid law. I don't think it would withstand a serious onslaught of legal challenges.
    Last edited by SteamJockey; 02-01-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links