DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verizon 4G LTE phones all unlocked ???

1. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Well bsweetness, thanks for the clarification. I suppose I am just as naive as most others about this. I am unfortunately now more confused than before. If you can use a sim from another carrier on this phone, then what's all the hubub about regarding unlocking the phones from the carrier? Are you saying that Verizon phones are NOT locked to Verizon and that new law is irrelevant with respect to Verizon customers? Not that I would need to for my own purposes, but I certainly don't want to be giving bad advice.
    For Verizon LTE devices, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Back when Verizon purchased part of their LTE spectrum, they agreed to some special provisions, which can be found here.

The one of the most importance here says the following:

Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.
    Verizon's older 3G-only devices that had global capabilities came SIM locked. But that all changed with their LTE devices. Every single one is SIM unlocked for LTE use. That isn't really a big deal because Verizon's LTE bands aren't really in use much of anywhere. But what is a big deal is the phones that have worked GSM functionality are also SIM unlocked for GSM use. Now, whether they're able to function with domestic GSM networks is a little hit or miss. Some of Verizon's LTE devices will work fine with GSM carriers in the U.S. (DNA, iPhone 5, Note 2), but others (RAZR HD/MAXX HD) are only unlocked for use on networks outside of the U.S. How Verizon is able to do that given the agreement is a little unclear, but it's possible that they've done something more hardware based in order to get around it.

Either way, at this point the new interpretation of the law regarding SIM locks on cell phones does not apply to any Verizon LTE device, because they all come SIM unlocked out of the box from Verizon. It does apply to Verizon's 3G-only global devices, but for Verizon customers in good standing, a simple phone call to global support will allow you to legally unlock one of their 3G devices.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  2. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteamJockey View Post
    Do you know how I do that. I don't know a thing about rooting.
    I'd tread very carefully if you don't know a thing about rooting. You should read up on it and what it does before you jump in. Like I said, the Note 2 will work just fine for voice and text without rooting when using a foreign SIM. But if you really want 3G/HSPA+ data while using the foreign SIM, make sure to know what you're getting into before you do it.

If you've accepted the most recent OTA update, you'll have to use Odin to flash some files in order to root. It's not the most straightforward process for people who are not familiar with it. If you haven't accepted the recent OTA update, there's a one-click root method that's much easier. But I'm going to assume you did install the OTA update from a week or two ago. The instructions for both can be found here.

And this thread includes information, instructions, and discussion on how to add APN data.

Quote Originally Posted by SteamJockey View Post
    FoxKat:

Only the 4G LTE phones from big red come unlocked. all others are still locked. DMCA was enacted in 1998. During a very short period starting sometime in 2012 till Jan 2013 an exception was granted. It expired 26 Jan. I think Verizon will move away from locked phones.

After doing some reading at EFF I'm thinking DMCA is irrelevent to locking hardware. It was intended to protect intellectual rights. Hardware is protected by Trademark and software is protected by Copyright. No one tries to tell me I cannot take my Ford to a Chevrolet dealer for repair. Really a stupid law. I don't think it would withstand a serious onslaught of legal challenges.
    The locking of SIM slots happens on a software level in order to restrict use of the device on an unauthorized network (including the use of the operating system and other software on the phone), so technically it can be viewed as being intellectual property.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links