Good morning everyone.
I was browsing the new content in the forums, and saw the same question asked MULTIPLE times. Answers to this question have been asked, and answered repeatedly, not just by me, but by several others.
The main question being asked is that some market apps will not update. The app downloads, but fails to install/update. This is due to the apps being pre-packaged with the ROM and are located in the /system/app directory of the phone itself. There are several remedies to resolving this which are not difficult, and only take a few minutes, I will describe each one step by step.
The apps in question that have been the majority of issue are Google Search, and Launcher Pro, YouTube, and several others...but this should work with any app you are trying to update that is part of the ROM when you installed it.
FIRST!!! when fixing the Launcher Pro issue the FIRST thing you need to do is download a launcher like ADW, here is a link since adw is a free app http://dl.dropbox.co....launcher-1.apk
This launcher is only temporary, because if you delete LancherPro, you will not be able to use the phone since you have no launcher at all.
You need an app like Linda File Manager or Astro to install the above link. Make sure in menu>settings>applications that you have Unknown Sources checked.
If you do not use Root explorer, you will need to go into Ultimate Settings > Quick Commands and enable God Mode.
Using Root Explorer:
1. Download Root Explorer from the market if you do not have it (it is a paid app, AND definately work the cost). It is a great app to have, and my #1 that gets used.
2. Open Root Explorer (allow superuser request)
3. Navigate to /system/app
4. Scroll through the apps, until you find LauncherPro.apk...GoogleQuickSearch.apk....etc..
5. Mount r/w in the top right corner of the root explorer screen
6. Long press on the app(s) and select delete.
7. Reboot the phone *****THIS IS A MUST*****
8. Go to the market and re-download and install the apps you just deleted.
That is all there is to it.
Using Terminal Emulator:
1. Download and install the above ADW link **MUST**
2. Download and Install Android Terminal Emulator (by Jack Palevich) from the market
3. Hit the home button
4. Hit menu > Settings > Ultimate Droid > Quick Commands
5. Hit God Mode and hit Yes to turn God Mod on.
6. Allow superuser request, and wait until the "running command" disappears from the screen
7. Hit Home
8. Open up Terminal Emulator
9. Type this out in terminal using the physical keyboard. type 'su' (without quotes)
10. Type 'rm /system/app/LauncherPro.apk' (replace the apps names GoogleQuickSearch.apk, YouTube.apk instead of launcher pro if having issues with these apps).
11. Hit Home.
12. REBOOT THE PHONE!!!!! THIS IS A MUST!!!!!!!
Now go to the market and re-download and install these apps and you should be good to go.
NOTE: The above app names ARE CASE SENSITIVE!!!
Using Titanium Backup (free or donate):
1. Download and install the above ADW link **THIS IS A MUST***
2. Download Titanium Backup from the market if you dont already have it
3. Open Titanium Backup and allow superuser request.
4. At the top of the titanium back up screen there is a choice for Backup/Restore....select it.
5. A list of the installed apps comes up.
6. Scroll through the list of app and find launcher pro, google search, youtube, or what other app you are having issue with and select it (tap on it, not long press)
7. Select Uninstall, it will give you a warning message about uninstalling system apps.
8. Reboot the phone ***THIS IS A MUST!!!!!***
Now go to the market and redownload the apps you just uninstalled. That is it, you are good to go.
With all of these methods you may have to go into menu>settings>applications>manage applictions and select ADW and clear defaults to get launcher pro as your default launcher.
If you hare having issues with other part of the ROM, make sure to do a search in the forums before starting a new topic, it could save you time posting and waiting for a response.
If you have widget on the screen, remove it (long press it and drag it to ther trash can) either before or after you reboot the phone.
If you remove google search with the above instructions, and reinstall it from the market, i had issues with the search softkey no longer working from the home screen. I had to move the google search app from /data/app back to /system/app, then reboot the phone for it to work properly, but it wouldnt update from the market once i did that. Wish I had a better answer for that problem.