Not receiving text messages in ginger with ud
For those of you who have been having issues sending/receiving text messages in Gingerbread or even Froyo (UD) I have found something interesting to possibly explain the issues. I had this issue even with Froyo (now running ginger). I've noticed that if you are using handcent (as I suspect many of you are) with on demand setting but have your minimum setting at 125mhz (if your kernel supports this low), many text messages don't make it through, or are extremely delayed. I think this is because the app or the phone in general needs more than that power to do text messaging and either the governor doesn't recognize the increased load requirement or handcent isn't "asking" for it. So your phone will try to send or receive to no avail. I think the reason they come back later is some other app/action taken on the phone is spiking the processor up enough to get those messages. I believe that handcent will try to automatically and continually try retrieve those messages on a polled basis....say every 10 seconds or so. What has solved the issue for me is setting my kernel to a higher minimum. I have found that 250mhz minimum and above will work fine. I do not know if this is posted somewhere else but this is my experience on UD 3.1.1 and 2.5 only! This may or may not work for you. Most of what was said here are assumptions and could just be completely wrong but hopefully, someone will get something out of it. You may have the same issue for any number of other reasons (bad signal anyone?) but this is just my experience. I have highlighted my solution for easy reference in the future. Let me know if this helps anyone. :)
How I got Handcent Notifications to work for me on U.D. 3.3.1
I believe I solved the problem on my phone for missing text message notifications. It bugged me that My handcent notifications were not working and I'd just have a unread text message just sitting in my inbox, not knowing i received one. I even contemplated on going back to 3.1 or even Froyo 2.5 but Im still on U.D. 3.3.1 so maybe I can help ya'll out on this..
First, I used a terminal command to set the memory management parameters back to stock Froyo.
This is the proper command:
echo "2048,3072,6144,7168,8192,8192" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree
As seen as here, posted by GirLuvsDroid, Post #1007::
Second, I had auto killer.. and then I installed Advanced Task Cleaner from the Market.. I deleted auto killer because I didnt need it on my phone but thats optional to you but I figured it would still kill the Handcent app. What Advanced Task Cleaner allows you to do is ignore an app from being killed. So I long pressed on Handcent SMS, and chose to ignore this, as well as messaging and messaging widget [Yes, I know we can lock messaging into memory] So while advanced task cleaner is killing all other apps from running in the background, it avoids handcent SMS and messaging from being killed.
Third, I did set my minimum overclocking to 400 but 250 works too, seeing I just checked it right now and its on 250 and all my messages are working.
Also, Settings>Ultimate Droid>Performance>Check "Allow Purging Of Assets"..
Lastly, Unfortunately, I did have to start over with Handcent. If you restored Data to Handcent using TB, it probably won't work, but you can try. However, I uninstalled using TB, and reinstalled Handcent from the Market and started from scratch..
I rebooted into recovery because I WAS about to flash 2.5 cuz it didnt work, but I thought, "Mind as well make a backup while Im here" so I did that, rebooted into Android cuz I was waiting on an important text, and Voila! Everything worked again. Notifications came in and there was no need to flash another rom.