DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Problem with 802.11n/5GHz band

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Problem with 802.11n/5GHz band

I have a dual band router, one with G at 2.4 and one with N and 5. The thunderbolt sees the G network but not the N. One of the reasons I bought the thunderbolt is the specs said that it was wireless-N compatible. I'm very disappointed that the wireless-N does not work. Has anyone gotten it to work on 5GHz?
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Where is it written that it works with 802.11n? By the way, you can have 802.11n on just the 2.4 band. I don't think there is a dual band radio in the phone.

Greg
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    droid
    and why do you need N speeds on your phone? you doing a lot of file transferring?

you do know that unless you have a fiber connection you can't possibly need a N connection or see a difference in speeds unless transferring files locally.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by bendystrawboy View Post
    and why do you need N speeds on your phone? you doing a lot of file transferring?

you do know that unless you have a fiber connection you can't possibly need a N connection or see a difference in speeds unless transferring files locally.
    I know that this thread is over a month old, with no contact, but I have a similar problem and would like to provide some insight as to why it doesn't matter whether I need N speeds on my phone.

I don't.

However, with the proliferation of wireless routers in my neighborhood, there is significant contention for the non-overlapping channels available on the 2.4 Ghz band (1, 6, 11). Not including my phone, all wireless devices in my house (all N) max out at 144 Mbit/sec on the 2.4 GHz band, and all channels show signal degradation, even though the router is not very far from the devices. There is not a single other user in my neighborhood who has set his/her router to 5 Ghz. There is no channel contention, and I am able to get 244 Mbit/sec on wireless devices.

And, I do transfer large files, both between computers and network storage. So, if I can use the 5 GHz band, my network performance for the entire network improves. I don't need it for my phone, but I'd like to use it if I can.

For the most part, as a 4G LTE user, I don't often feel I need to connect my phone to the network. But, it would be nice to do so, if a need arose. So, I have the same question ... do cell phones that are supposedly N devices support dual band operation. Verizon is having some trouble answering that question, but, I suspect not, since a wifi analyzer app on the phone doesn't see my network if it is set to the 5 GHz band.

{

(and, yes, I know I don't have a droid ... but this is the first thread I came across that addressed this issue).
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    The thunderbolt does not have 5 ghz. I believe the atrix does, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    PS. After some experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that the phone only supports 2.4 GHz operation. Too bad. I'll leave my network on the 5 Ghz band, and switch it if I have an pressing need to connect my phone.

{
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
    The thunderbolt does not have 5 ghz. I believe the atrix does, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
    Whoops, missed your post when I put up my PS.

Thanks.

{
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bendystrawboy View Post
    and why do you need N speeds on your phone?
    One reason to have 802.11n on a phone is that a wireless network will not operate at N speeds if there are B and/or G devices on the network, as they will knock the speed down to 54Mbps. It looks like the Thunderbolt, my Asus laptop and the Sony SMP-N100 all support N speeds, but I know the older network card in the kids' computer is G, as is the computer upstairs. Also have a Droid 1, Wii, three Nintendo DS, etc., so those could all keep a network from using the N speeds if they don't support them.

I'm considering an 802.11n-capable WAP (wireless access point) for the newer devices, but running the others on a separate router/WAP so they can still use the G networking.

Links