DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Back light under hard menu buttons has mind of it's own

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderstruck

Back light under hard menu buttons has mind of it's own

The lights under the menu buttons at the bottom of the phone doesn't make sense. It comes on in a dim environment but when too much light gets on the phone it turns off. I need it more when there is too much ambient light. If I hold my hand over the top of the phone it will come on but otherwise it goes off. I find myself hitting where I think the button is not by seeing it. Is this normal? Anyway to change?
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt named Sparky
    Quote Originally Posted by evereddie View Post
    The lights under the menu buttons at the bottom of the phone doesn't make sense. It comes on in a dim environment but when too much light gets on the phone it turns off. I need it more when there is too much ambient light. If I hold my hand over the top of the phone it will come on but otherwise it goes off. I find myself hitting where I think the button is not by seeing it. Is this normal? Anyway to change?
    The second day I had my TB, I thought it was defective. I went to my VZ store and after checking numerous TB's they all acted the same way. Maybe somewhere down the line there will be an adjustment setting for it. I find it also annoying at times but as you said, I have learned where the buttons are and can usually hit them right on
    If only I took the rest of my life as seriously as I am taking this phone!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    Fyrjammer
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxxed

Angry Suppose to work that way

Quote Originally Posted by evereddie View Post
    I would be thrilled if my D2 would do that. It's suppose to light in the dark and off in bright light. Mine won't light at all. Or it will light when it feels like it. I was hoping someone (kejar,jrummy,koush) would something in the tool apps for this issue.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Incredible2
    On my DroidX the home key now flickers... not sure wtf is up.... Damn gingerbread update

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Incredible2
    Oh so now my menu key doesn't work and my phone only boots safe mode

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Switched back to HTC DINC 4G
    I've had my phone for a week and a half and had the backlighting on the buttons disappear for the first few days of ownership. I quickly hopped online only to find that others were complaining about the same thing, but so far, nobody had posted a fix.

Hopefully what worked for me, will work for you as well. I was able to fix the issue by disabling Task Killer from the Android Market. I believe the 'Build Ignore List' feature within Task Killer doesn't include the back lighting task so my setting of Aggressive was killing the lighting task while the phone was shut off (this is another setting I was using is to kill tasks when screen is off).

It's been 3 days and several power cycles and the buttons still work. I wrote to the Task Killer developer to let him know what I found and I'm hoping there will be a fix. Good luck!!

Update: lighting went out again at the end of the day on day 5. I Rerbooted the phone in a dark room and the lighting came back on. Very strange...
    Last edited by Nyobie; 10-17-2011 at 07:01 PM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    Fyrjammer
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxxed

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nyobie View Post
    I've had my phone for a week and a half and had the backlighting on the buttons disappear for the first few days of ownership. I quickly hopped online only to find that others were complaining about the same thing, but so far, nobody had posted a fix.

Hopefully what worked for me, will work for you as well. I was able to fix the issue by disabling Task Killer from the Android Market. I believe the 'Build Ignore List' feature within Task Killer doesn't include the back lighting task so my setting of Aggressive was killing the lighting task while the phone was shut off (this is another setting I was using is to kill tasks when screen is off).

It's been 3 days and several power cycles and the buttons still work. I wrote to the Task Killer developer to let him know what I found and I'm hoping there will be a fix. Good luck!!

Update: lighting went out again at the end of the day on day 5. I Rerbooted the phone in a dark room and the lighting came back on. Very strange...
    I would try that, except, I don't use task killers. It may be with the programming for the soft keys, but hopefully it will get fixed. Meanwhile I got the Bionic, maybe too soon because now I want the RAZR.
  8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    These lights are controlled by a light sensor, in the bionic they are near the top - my guess is they are in the same area on the TB

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    Fyrjammer
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxxed
    Quote Originally Posted by tp76 View Post
    These lights are controlled by a light sensor, in the bionic they are near the top - my guess is they are in the same area on the TB

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Oh, no. My previous issue was with the Droid 2, but that would make sense. I'll have to play around with the brightness control. May only work in auto-bright. No issues (yet) with the Bionic.

Links