DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verizon & wireless tethering

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt, Droid A855, VL600
    Verizon can distinguish Tethering data from Smartphone data only when you "legally" tether. Your data connection, 3G at least, literally disconnects then reconnects under your @dun.VZW3G.com address. DUN obviously being dial up networking. 3G is *technically* very fast dial up, your phone is a modem, and it literally dials in on #777.

Anyway, Verizon cannot tell if you are illegally tethering, 3G or 4G, and it would cost more money to monitor us for "ungodly" data use, they'd have to hire more people for something they can't really dispute, using your unlimited data. Especially since they can't prove you are tethering, even with 32GB of data use per month.

But even if Verizon actively gave people the boot, so what, just go to Sprint, even they have LTE now.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    My friend who was rooted on AT&T using a root-based wireless tethering app was caught by AT&T and had the tethering plan added. Having said that, I haven't heard any reports of rooted Verizon customers having this done.

By the way he only used a couple gigs that month.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Would it show up as tethering if you were not rooted and used either easy tether or PdaNet?
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt, Droid A855, VL600
    It would not show up in those instances.

Verizon does not check for tethering nor force people onto tethering plans, that's a dick move on AT&T's part.... but anyway, feel free to tether, even if it wasn't under Smartphone data, it would just direct you to Verizon's sign up page for tethering, you cannot tether under Verizon without signing up for it, if you didn't sign up for tethering and it is working, you are in the clear.!
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    T-bolt with Skyraider
    I've been tethering since the Droid 1 days, about 15 gigs a month. Got the T-bolt when it came out, and average about 45 gigs a month. Big red doesn't seem to care.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankanspank View Post
    I've been tethering since the Droid 1 days, about 15 gigs a month. Got the T-bolt when it came out, and average about 45 gigs a month. Big red doesn't seem to care.
    I'm sure they care. 45GB is a bit excessive.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    64 gig Rezound Rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093
    No it's not. Verizon wants money,I used to work there. It had never come up in a meeting because how much you use Web doesn't matter...but if you're really worried...keep your bill paid on time and they will not disrupt a damn thing you do.

Nothing never doesn't un happen to me
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post

What I learned while with Verizon is that even though it states Unlimited plan it still has a data cap and they sometimes will charge you more for going over that Cap. Look through the terms of use and you should find the answers.

Also from the verizon rep I called, they stated that tethering your phone is not part of the normal terms of service and you have to buy another package to share your connection. That didn't stop me I still did it and never had any issues or extra costs but the most I think I used was only 15 or 20gb in one month.

Now I live in Europe and I dont have these issues. You buy your phone outright and you use what you use for a fixed price. You do not pay for any incoming calls, that is paid by the person calling you. I have an unlimited voice, text, and data and it is around 80 a month which is about $100. So it does cost more but you dont get worried about extra costs if they feel your abusing the contract.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by humanporkrind View Post
    What I learned while with Verizon is that even though it states Unlimited plan it still has a data cap and they sometimes will charge you more for going over that Cap. Look through the terms of use and you should find the answers.

Also from the verizon rep I called, they stated that tethering your phone is not part of the normal terms of service and you have to buy another package to share your connection. That didn't stop me I still did it and never had any issues or extra costs but the most I think I used was only 15 or 20gb in one month.

Now I live in Europe and I dont have these issues. You buy your phone outright and you use what you use for a fixed price. You do not pay for any incoming calls, that is paid by the person calling you. I have an unlimited voice, text, and data and it is around 80 a month which is about $100. So it does cost more but you dont get worried about extra costs if they feel your abusing the contract.
    Wow, 15-20 gb's with no problems. I'll never worry about my data consumption again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links