DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hyperion 3500mah Battery on Amazon

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    That's weird. I guess you got a bad build on the battery. I had no problems at all using the HTC back. And the battery widget doesn't measure the capacity of the battery (if you are using the HTC widget like I am using). It measure the voltage, which on mine reads 3763 mV, which roughly translates to 3.7 volts.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I do not tweet or chirp.
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Yes, I checked more closely later and noticed it measured voltage. You think I may have a bad battery build? I may exchange it then. It certainly didn't pop out tonight while out and about but I want it to fit correctly. I guess I'll report back about how well the exchange goes
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I do not tweet or chirp.
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I reconsidered returning the battery; too much time, effort, and money for a $15.00 item.

Instead, I simply removed most of the white label surrounding the battery, keeping only that side of the label that covers the plastic frame's gap at the top where the contacts are. Since the label also keeps the plastic frame surrounding the battery's metal case attached I applied a spot of super glue to the inside of both sides of the frame and secured the frame to the battery's metal case. I also slightly trimmed the edges of the plastic frame before gluing.

This only took about five minutes, a little effort, and no cost. Now, the battery cover can be securely attached to the phone with no gap at the volume rocker and zero chance of it popping off. Kinda hard to believe that a thin paper label could add enough thickness to cause trouble but there you have it.

Oh yeah, the battery lasts all day for me with some judicious power management. Manually activating apps only when I need them isn't a big deal for me as long as the device's primary function as a phone isn't compromised. Having the OEM and Hyperion extended batteries as well as the stock one means I don't ever need to be concerned about my phone not being at the ready.

"You might be cheap if..."
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; 07-10-2011 at 01:34 PM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    T-bolt
    Thanks for the updates. What was the final price with the battery and OEM HTC door to your door step?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I do not tweet or chirp.
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I purchased the OEM extended battery with the phone at a Verizon store for 39.99 plus tax. The Hyperion was $20.57 delivered and I purchased a wall charger for $5.65, delivered. I can charge all three batteries overnight if necessary.

I've always purchased an extra battery with every phone I've owned so it's not a big deal to me and the non-OEM ones are affordable and work well.
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; 07-11-2011 at 12:03 AM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    T-bolt
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ckDELTA View Post
    I purchased the OEM extended battery with the phone at a Verizon store for 39.99 plus tax. The Hyperion was $20.57 delivered and I purchased a wall charger for $5.65, delivered. I can charge all three batteries overnight if necessary.

I've always purchased an extra battery with every phone I've owned so it's not a big deal to me and the non-OEM ones are affordable and work well.
    Cool, do a comparo and post your results, sir.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    T-bolt
    Just purchased a Hyperion 3500Mah battery and a Seidio 3200mAh battery along with the Seidio Convert Extended case for ULTIMATE protection. So if anyone wants to buy my stock sized Seidio convert case let me know and I'll let it go for 25 shipped.

Note: I did cut off the rubber cover on the camera because it was super annoying and doesn't work too well. It also peeled some but it doesn't anymore. It's hands down the best case I have ever owned.

I'll do a comparison as soon as I receive the goods.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I do not tweet or chirp.
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Awdwhip, I don't see a difference between the OEM and Hyperion as far as battery life goes. I'm finally busy actually using the phone now. If I get some time I guess I could actually compare the two more precisely but....

At this point I can get through the entire day (again, with judicious power management) without any technodrama, which was my goal. The key thing is the OEM battery cover for its antennae and a charger so you can charge both bats overnight. Get an OEM battery cover if they are sold separately, two Hyperion extended batteries, and the charger; you'll be right as rain. If you have to mod the bats to fit then it's only a five minute procedure that's well worth the effort.

Reading through this whole post should answer any doubts about the efficacy of the Hyperions.

If something goes horribly wrong in the future I'll post accordingly.
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; 07-12-2011 at 05:18 PM.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    T-bolt
    That's good news. I just want my battery to last through several hours of web surfing on an LTE connection and still have battery left to last all day with my newly purchased batteries that wont be a problem. Cheers!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I do not tweet or chirp.
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Remember that, "judicious power management", means turning off 4G/LTE when not needed, manually syncing, keeping the screen brightness as low as possible, toggling BT, GPS, and WiFi, etc. The T-Bolt is a high maintenance device. I've had task killer turned on and 4G turned off since yesterday afternoon on the OEM extended battery and I'm at 74%.

Once you turn on 4G you're going to be changing out your battery midday at least. Also if you're going to be using it as heavily as you say I would keep your stock OEM battery on hand as well; you're going to need it. As I stated before these third party batteries are affordable so buy as many as you need; for the price of two OEM extended batteries you can get four Hyperions and and some wall chargers.

The promise of a handheld personal computer in the guise of a smartphone is simply not fulfilled. I spec out and build my own PCs so I know what is reasonable when it comes to tweaking and I don't believe current smartphones have reached a level of maturity where minor tweaks get you up and running. The current workarounds are excessive and don't always deliver as hoped but its all we've got for the foreseeable future.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links