DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CPU toggle

1. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by publicanimal View Post
    I tested this extensively on V2 and always had the same results. Higher quadrant scores when lit and lower quadrant scores when unlit.

I just ran 2 quadrant tests. I am using Chevy's ULV 1.2 GHz kernel.
    Unlit: 1213
    Lit: 1379

I'm not sure what is causing you guys to experience different results and I agree that it is a bit counter-intutive with the "down arrow". But I have tested this again and again and on my phone the results have always supported the conclusion that unlit = underclocked.

Are you guys using SetCPU? I'm pretty sure SetCPU would override the CPU toggle. I do not use SetCPU because I don't believe it is necessary for this ROM as it was designed for a phone with a 1.0 GHz processor (Nexus One). My performance is beyond stellar when not using SetCPU.
    I was thinking the same thing as you utill last night when I ran Quadrant several times and it was always higher unlit. I'm not running SetCPU, I did on the very first release of MIUI and had major issues. So the next time I flashed the ROM I never downloaded it from the market.

The only other thing I can think of is I did not change the kernel.

Edit: I just loaded up Slayher's 1200 kernel then ran quadrant a few different ways.

Unlit:
    1338 & 1498
    Closed quadrant then reopened
    Lit:
    1427 & 1580

Then I left it lit and rebooted my phone. When my phone restarted I lit it again, this is the funny part. I received just the opposite.

Unlit:
    1363 & 1369
    Lit:
    1072 & 1324
    Last edited by bp328i; 10-09-2010 at 06:44 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoylm1 View Post
    Ran it again and same results. Not using SetCPU and I agree it would get in the way. There must be some way to actually get a readout from the system that will clear this up for everyone.

I think that it is interesting to look at the options under battery in the settings menu. It has an option to reduce to the CPU speed to save battery power. When my phone goes into battery saving mode the CPU toggle becomes lit. This would imply that it is saving battery power by lowering to the CPU speed.
    It is interesting that we are running the same experiment and experiencing opposite results. I have no idea what could account for that. I have the battery saving mode disabled as I simply swap batteries when my battery level gets low (I have 3 batteries and a standalone battery charger so I charge my batteries outside my phone).

What kernel are you running? Maybe kernels with interactive governors (i.e. Slayher's kernels) react differently?

Very curious indeed.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoylm1 View Post
    Ran it again and same results. Not using SetCPU and I agree it would get in the way. There must be some way to actually get a readout from the system that will clear this up for everyone.

I think that it is interesting to look at the options under battery in the settings menu. It has an option to reduce to the CPU speed to save battery power. When my phone goes into battery saving mode the CPU toggle becomes lit. This would imply that it is saving battery power by lowering to the CPU speed.
    It is interesting that we are running the same experiment and experiencing opposite results. I have no idea what could account for that. I have the battery saving mode disabled as I simply swap batteries when my battery level gets low (I have 3 batteries and a standalone battery charger so I charge my batteries outside my phone).

What kernel are you running? Maybe kernels with interactive governors (i.e. Slayher's kernels) react differently?

Very curious indeed.
    I am using Chevy's ULV 1.1 GHz kernel. Not really sure what the deal is, but it is really responsive w/ or w/out the CPU toggle lit. Would like to know, but more happy that everybody is back on board developing MIUI!!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I just ran the test again, and my results are more inconclusive than ever, though for the first time I got a lower score with it lit than unlit.

Procedure:
    Rebooted phone
    Observed that CPU toggle was unlit
    Ran quadrant test: 1236

then:
    Turned CPU toggle on, rebooted phone
    Observed that CPU toggle was unlit upon reboot (this must be the default)
    Turned CPU toggle on so it was lit
    Ran quadrant test: 1161

So it was lower, but only by about 75.

I now think you guys are right, however I can't for the life of me figure out why I was getting the results I was getting before. I guess I always ran the tests back to back, first unlit, then lit.

Weird. If anyone knows Chinese maybe they could ask the powers that be at Miui in China.
  5. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Time to load up Slayher's 1250 kernel, install Set CPU crank it all the way up and see what I get on quadrant.

Well that went over like a fart in church.
    Last edited by bp328i; 10-09-2010 at 07:47 PM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

Where is it..

Where is the performance toggle? or CPU Toggle? I've read on multiple reviews that there are three modes to choose from.. Battery Saver, Performance and Smart. But I can't find this option anywhere..
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    go to the info screen in set CPU and watch the time in state for each slot while toggling to cpu button. make sure your max is set to at least 200Mhz below the top slot.
    Unlit= +200 Mhz
    lit= whatever max is set to.

Edit. I am using the stock kernel. I normally don't use set CPU w/ this Rom. I just turned it on to verify.
    Last edited by hoppermi; 10-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @TheArmyOf2
    Phone
    OG Moto Droid Fo' Shizzle
    yeah...looks like setcpu overrides anything that lil toggle does...I like my profiles to keep my battery up and haven't noticed any performance issues so i'll stick with setcpu controlling that stuff for me
    Of all the things I've lost,I miss my mind the most.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    vzw s3
    i tried it both ways..800 kernel..difference was about 100 points higher with the cpu button lit
    The latest ain't always the greatest!
  10. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yufice View Post
    What is the CPU toggle for?
    Unlit: Underclock CPU by approximately 200 MHz
    Lit: Full speed ahead
    its actually opposite.

This was verified using set cpu. This was one of the reasons I started using 0.8 ghz kernels because I was getting issues with the cpu overclocking on its own because I would test the light.

Verified

Setcpu

1000 mhz kernel set to 1000 mhz.

Light up the light...it underclocks to 800mhz (verified in actual slots in info tab as well)

Unlit...it maxed out my kernel in set cpu.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links